Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default rear 8lug drum stuck on axle

Wow. I can't get the back 8lug drums off my driver. For certain, the drums have not been removed for 30+ years (car was in storage for 27 and the front pads were worn down).

Brake adjusters were backed off and then I started soaking with PB for 3-5 days. Using a shorty 3lb sledge and 2x4 block, i've been rapping at the back side of the hub by the backing plate in a circular motion. No luck.. Since then, I've soaked with corrosionX for 3 days and for the last few days I've been using Deadhead's recommended elixar (50/50 ATF and acetone) at the studs and around the axle center, turning periodically. This am, i put heat (map torch) to the drum around the studs and took another shot at it. Still no luck but maybe I didn't put enough heat on the drum. I have a large gear puller at the farm i'll be bringing back tomorrow that might do the trick but I don't want to destroy these hubs. The linings were excellent in front.

Anyone faced this dilemma and if so, how did you get them off without destroying your aluminum hubs?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Suspended

I've run into the same problem several times parting out old Pontiacs so I made an 8 lug puller out of an old rusty rim, two pieces of strap, and a large fine thread nut and bolt.
The process that works best for me is to heat each of the five center lug bolts cherry red several times with an oxy/acetelene torch (put the flame directly on the end of the bolts one after the other), and then I mount the puller, place a block of steel between the hub and bolt that pulls the puller/drum off, and start turning the bolt in. The frozen drums have come off every time sometimes easy and sometimes POW when it lets loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 lug puller.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	321337  

Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
I've run into the same problem several times parting out old Pontiacs so I made an 8 lug puller out of an old rusty rim, two pieces of strap, and a large fine thread nut and bolt.
The process that works best for me is to heat each of the five center lug bolts cherry red several times with an oxy/acetelene torch (put the flame directly on the end of the bolts one after the other), and then I mount the puller, place a block of steel between the hub and bolt that pulls the puller/drum off, and start turning the bolt in. The frozen drums have come off every time sometimes easy and sometimes POW when it lets loose.
Nice work -

(Hopefully I'll never need to do anything like that)

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It MIGHT be that the brake shoes have cut a ridge in the drum thus preventing the drum from sliding off. Has happened to me several times. I just wrestled the drum with a couple of pry bars until the drum popped off.
I really like 61-63s puller...red neck engineering at its best !!

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM

Default drums

if the cars drivable put wheels back on and leave axle lugnuts hand tight or a few turns looser drive it making sharp lefts and rights they should pop. i do this all the time from cars to our tandem dump trucks. good luck.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keep the suggestions flowin. 61-63, wish you were across town. i'd rent it from you. that is absolutely garage engineering at its best. i might have an old 8lug'er up at the farm. nothing here i'm willing to sacrifice. gotta have a spair. this car has yet to be "re"licensed but i did try 62cat's method for a couple of miles as well. but, more straight on driving than anything as i'm still working the bugs out of her after many years of inactivity. there's a couple local PY'ers here local that might have have an old rim layin around. if i don't find a rim tomorrow, i'll send them PMs unless someone out there has a PLAN B.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
NICE!!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 PM

My front 5 lug iron drum is stuck on as well..one of these days I gotta unstuck it.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

When extracting the drum, swearing helps.

May the torque be with you.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJacobo View Post
My front 5 lug iron drum is stuck on as well..one of these days I gotta unstuck it.
You may know this but Harbor Freight and others sell conventional pullers that will take that one off. You can rent them from O'Reilly's and their sister stores.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default wrong shoes!!!!!!!!!!1

It's because they installed the wrong shoes, they put on narrower ones and they make one hell of a lip. Don't ask me how I know.

Greg

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

61-63 gets this week's "great tech trophy" (if we had one).

ho421, FedEx even delivers to Springfield! ...why not work out a rental with 61-63?

Damn narrow shoes! What are they, '65+?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default incorrect shoes hurt the feet.

Matt,
I think they order the standard shoes and do not specify 8 lug wheels, or the counter guy doesn't ask. They then get the right shoes for regular wheel cars and put them on the 8 lugs wheels.

Greg

Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
61-63 gets this week's "great tech trophy" (if we had one).

ho421, FedEx even delivers to Springfield! ...why not work out a rental with 61-63?

Damn narrow shoes! What are they, '65+?
John and I have had a side conversation. ;-)

Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM

I think I have an extra rim, I am only 1 hour away. If worst comes to worst, I have three 1963 rear drums, one for sure is left hand threads. Thanks, Rex

1962 Catalina 421 Tripower 4-speed "Red"
1962 Grand Prix 389 Tripower 4-speed "White"
1962 Corvette 402hp 350 4-speed
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to MOJO Catalina

Quote:
You are legendary sir.. I was talking to a new friend I made last weekend when I picked up my '61 Ventura and he mentioned this apparatus.. Word travels within our small community.. A few years ago I had to remove some frozen 8 lug drums from a GP rear.. I think it's where the steel hub meets the aluminum drum that binds up.. Spray that area well.. I had to unfasten the wheel cylinder, push it in, load it up with penetrating oil, stick a metal rod in the hole then pound the livinsh*t out of it.. still took hours but it finally came off.. scarred up on the inside a bit but it can't be seen...

Last edited by MOJO Catalina; 05-03-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED
Talking

So Bob did you manage to gently persuade that rim to let go?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROWHED View Post
So Bob did you manage to gently persuade that rim to let go?
Not yet but john's puller showed up at my door late yesterday.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Verdict. 61-63's puller is the cat's meow. In less than an hour, both drums are off. That puller showed those drums who's the bossman. Corrosion and as expected, shoes cut grooves in the lining. Hats off to john for coming up with the tool and the willingness to send it to someone he's never spoken with. Much thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130511_121613.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	322890  

Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

It is amazing just how STUCK those SOBs can get! Parted out a 65 Buick Wildcat years ago, it had the heavy duty finned aluminum drums on front, but had sat unmoved, outside from 1978 to 2003. I gave up trying to get them off, it wasn't worth the pain.