Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to warriors revenge
Default Axle bearing going bad????

so I get back to Wisconsin yesterday, and decide i'm going to take my 63 Catalina driver car for a ride in the warmth of the sun today, and as I start going down the road this crazy noise appears from the rear passenger side of the car?? very strange... it has never made noise before... but the car has been sitting since November (in a heated shop).... I pulled over, couldn't find anything wrong with it (the noise got quieter) but was still there.. I got back to the shop, and felt the end of the axle. it was warm on the pass side, but not on the driver side. I will pull it apart and look. I just thought it was odd that it would suddenly go bad on the 1st drive of the year???

Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Those sealed axle bearings certainly have a limited lifespan. Hope it didn't ruin the hardened axle shaft surface where it is pressed on...when they fail it can force the inner race to spin on the shaft.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bummer on the bearing but not unusual. Strange things happen when these old Ponchos sit around for awhile.
Good luck,
Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope its not the bearing tearing up the axle shaft.

But also take a look at the universal joint. They can seize up and scream. Happened to me years ago on a Volvo 144 I happened to own (Yeah, I know, I know....). That noise had me baffled. It was coming from the rear but I thought it sounded like a stone in the rear disk brake on one side. Uni joint looked & felt fine but was shot when we pulled it out.

Just a thought

Ian

Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Senior Chief

^^^ the driveshaft is brand new.... yes very strange... if the axle is bad, I have 4 cars, I am sure I can "borrow" one of theirs

Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After sitting a while sometimes brakes get a rust coating (maybe even in a heated garage) and get lazy on the retract. Might give that a check before you start pulling axles.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

I yanked the axle out and yes it was indeed the bearing.... couldn't even spin it by hand. pressed the old one off, pressed the new one on, took it for a high MPH test drive, and everything is fine..... I got a 2nd bearing and will do the other side tomorrow

Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

2nd axle pulled out, and the bearing is a little sloppy.... will have new bearing on and back together for a test drive with in the hour

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED
Thumbs up

I love happy endings.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...every man does.

anytime I pull an axle and the outer bearing sleeve (that which interfaces with the axle housing) is wobbly, it's replaced. Just not worth a meltdown...

glad it went smooth, Kal. Now, are you going to Norwalk? I am and a caravan is always welcome.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Matt... you drove past me the other day when we were on the way to the lake.... I told my girlfriend "that's my friend Matt, and he has as many 62s as I have 63s" she replied "of course you are friends" I am not sure yet if Norwalk conflicts with a business convention, if not I will be there... I have a friend on the board that needs a fiberglass hood and rear bumper delivered to Norwalk from me... can you hook that up?

lets get together sometime, its been too long
have a great day
hope all is well

Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kal, I am going to Norwalk this year - I plan to drive my new (?) 64 Tempest driver...call Todd Zimmermann - he may be able to transport stuff from here to there. Otherwise I can try to tie the glass stuff to the roof of the '64 between here my meet-up point with some guys from Chi-town. PM me if Todd doesn't work out for ya.

My Norwalk time this year is purely social (OK, I may bring a few RediRads with me but the main purpose is to hang out with my Pontiac brethren trackside all weekend).

talk to you soon...