THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Who is in Connecticut?

I ran across this in my Internet travels today. Looks like the Connecticut state legislature is trying to raise taxes and pass more restrictions on collector car owners. Ya might want to contact your reps and let them know this is a bad idea!

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...3CT11&g=SEMAGA

Last edited by mviker; 06-05-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TYPICAL liberal thinking. People wondered WHY I spent so little time there while my wife worked in CT. This is a PRIME example.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CT is still better than Mass!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TRUE! Wife had a job offer in Concord. I told her the ONLY way I would consider moving there is IF we lived in NH.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
H.B. 6629 raises the maximum assessed value of antique, rare or special interest motor vehicles to $1000. The previous limit was $500.
Property taxes on an average classic car in my town are around $10. If they go to $20 it won't kill me. Now if they could drop the $525 I pay in property taxes on my 07 Tacoma every year - that would interest me!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Death by increments, Boss. Today, it's doubling the tax. What about 5 yrs. down the road? IF CT stays on the same path as it was when we were living there, you'll be singing a different tune.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
TRUE! Wife had a job offer in Concord. I told her the ONLY way I would consider moving there is IF we lived in NH.
I understand. Mass is a great place to live if you are illegal and on welfare!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree the tax hike at this point may not seem like much, but add in the nickel and diming we're seeing with all taxes in general and it adds up. Of more concern I think, are the restrictions on driving. It's saying antique vehicles cannot be driven more than 2000 miles ina two year period. Now I don't drive my old car a lot, but I definitely would break that rule if this was going on in my state. Heck, simply driving up to Illinois and back last year would have eaten up most of that quota. The mileage restriction alone would definitely put a damper on the enjoyment side of having a classic car.

That restriction is basically saying you can drive 1000 miles per year. I'd definitely disconnect my speedo if restrictions like those came to Virginia.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

mviker,

You need to understand that the bureaucrats in CT THINK they know better HOW to live your life than you do. That is the MAJOR reason WHY I hated the place. Additionally, don't you KNOW only the "evil" wealthy have collector cars?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
mviker,

You need to understand that the bureaucrats in CT THINK they know better HOW to live your life than you do. That is the MAJOR reason WHY I hated the place. Additionally, don't you KNOW only the "evil" wealthy have collector cars?

This is why I'm glad I live in Virginia. Unfortunately, my state has gone through this garbage also, but we've been able to fend it off so far. I couldn't say for how much longer though.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We do not pay personal property tax in Indiana. We pay an excise tax on our liscense plates. the newer the car and higher price = high plates. Now when the car becomes ten years old the plates are 25.00 I never buy a car newer the 5 years old. cannot afford the plates.

patrick

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Yes but, it depends on where you live in Indiana. In the county I live in they added a "wheel tax" about 10 years ago of $25. It was to help rebuild roads. The tax was only supposed to be for a couple of years but now they can't live without it so we're stuck with it. So, in addition to the old car discount of $25 we also have to pay an additional $25 wheel tax making the total $50. Then if you want to license it as an historic vehicle there are additional yearly fees.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Property taxes on an average classic car in my town are around $10. If they go to $20 it won't kill me. Now if they could drop the $525 I pay in property taxes on my 07 Tacoma every year - that would interest me!
That floored me when you told me about yearly taxes on cars, it is still unbelievable to me. I like living in PA even more when I read about these things.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hoosierGP,

You need to move a little further south in the Hoosier State. I've lived in four different counties in southwestern and southcentral Indiana. I've NEVER had to pay a wheel tax.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
I agree the tax hike at this point may not seem like much, but add in the nickel and diming we're seeing with all taxes in general and it adds up. Of more concern I think, are the restrictions on driving. It's saying antique vehicles cannot be driven more than 2000 miles ina two year period. Now I don't drive my old car a lot, but I definitely would break that rule if this was going on in my state. Heck, simply driving up to Illinois and back last year would have eaten up most of that quota. The mileage restriction alone would definitely put a damper on the enjoyment side of having a classic car.

That restriction is basically saying you can drive 1000 miles per year. I'd definitely disconnect my speedo if restrictions like those came to Virginia.
I would have a lot more to say about that!

Here in CT with the highest gas tax, one of the highest state taxes, sales taxes and property taxes you get used to them sticking their fists in your pockets - but when they start telling me what I can & cannot do - then we have a problem!

So much for freedom!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Odd that they threw in the car value part since they're actually working to phase out the motor vehicle property tax.

I suspect the mileage limitations are part of an effort to keep people from registering their 20 year old piece of crap car as a classic. Lately I've noticed quite a few POS older cars (Honda Accord, Buick Century, Ford Taurus, etc.) that meet the age requirement but are clearly daily beaters.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
hoosierGP,

You need to move a little further south in the Hoosier State. I've lived in four different counties in southwestern and southcentral Indiana. I've NEVER had to pay a wheel tax.
I'm in the furthest Southeastern part of IN you can get! Never paid a "wheel" tax either. The highest I ever paid for tags was $305 when I bought my old truck back in 2003. I just bought a new 3500 diesel so I already have the vaseline handy when I finally have to pay for my tags. BUT the big savings with Living in Indiana rather than in Ohio (which is about a mile away) is property taxes. If I uprooted my home and moved it into Hamilton Co (cincinnati) my property taxes would more than double. I'll gladly pay a couple hundred bucks more for tags to save thousands on property taxes every year.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rob,

I'm a little further south than you(Floyd Co.). When we moved back from WI in 2007, we looked in Jefferson and Oldham Cos. in KY. The property taxes were MUCH higher and Sandy's drive to downtown Louisville would have been borderline suicide. That's why we bought the house in Floyd Co., IN. Direct access to I-64 (she was at work in 15mins.) and LOW property taxes ($1300 per yr. with homestead exemption).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierGP View Post
Yes but, it depends on where you live in Indiana. In the county I live in they added a "wheel tax" about 10 years ago of $25. It was to help rebuild roads. The tax was only supposed to be for a couple of years but now they can't live without it so we're stuck with it. So, in addition to the old car discount of $25 we also have to pay an additional $25 wheel tax making the total $50. Then if you want to license it as an historic vehicle there are additional yearly fees.
Wheel tax. What county/counties? I(wife pays them bills) may be pay'n for something didn't know about.
BTY, like my father told back in the 60's, there's no such thing as a temporary tax.
BELIVE IT!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The promise to not raise taxes has been probably kept by the governor so what does he do?

Raises fees, those are not "taxes".