Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dome Light Tech

I have been trying to figure this out for a lotta years guys. I know I am not the only one who has had this quandary.

On '65/6 (-'68 I believe). The round center dome light take apart to change a bulb or whatever. How do you get the thing apart without tearing the headliner or tearing up the trim ring? It is easy to put in but getting out...

On '63 and earlier, the lens is made from thin milky plastic, and you just bent the lens and remove to get at the bulb. On these, the lens is made of crystal like plastic that is about 1/8" thick. I thought that it was the same process to remove. I got lucky and did not break the lens, but cracked off some of the lip. Once I got it apart, I was able to see how you are supposed to do it, but it is really not any less likely to tear up something than the lens method. There are 3 tabs under the chrome ring. You are supposed to pry the ring off the tabs and remove. Not easy if it is up against the headliner. If you want to remove the lens, you have to bend the tabs on a 2nd ring inside the fixture to release it.

Related questions are:

Were any other type dome lights available on wagons? Possible option pictured below? No provision for opera or map style side lights on wagons.

How does mine still work with this burnt up holder?

Does anybody have a good bulb holder or other style they want to sell?

Thanks for any insight.

Center Pc has 3 tabs that spring fit into ring

Cooked up bulb holder in dome bracket.

Other style light available as option on wagons?:

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 06-05-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks similar to my Tempest center dome light. On the Tempest the lens is 'permanently' inside the trim ring you pull down the trim ring to change bulb (& lens). The only way to get it down is to find somebody with strong fingernails (& clean hands) & get as many fingernails as possible equally spaced around the ring and pull it down.

Amazing that it works looking like that, but I guess the bulb doesn't need much to make contact.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce:I'll check my stash for a bulb holder but it may be in the same shape as yours. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you Jim. Even if just some of the parts are good, I can put something together. I'm going to do heat shrinks on the leads & rig up some kind of heat shield.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce,

The picture of last style of dome light you posted, I've only seen in a Bonneville with a Brougham package (1964 specifically). Not sure what years this style was offered other than '64 or if they were available in anything other than a Bonneville (and possibly Bonneville wagon(?) )

Ron

Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe you are onto something with Brougham Ron. I know I have seen one in a car, but not sure what one. The '66 accessory book does not show this one, but it does not show the plain side lights either, which were in Bonnevilles etc., so I am not sure that is the last word. That ceiling bracket looks set up for something in addition to the simple round job.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce: We're in luck. I have an excellent dome light holder. PM me your shipping address. Is this for the Bonne wagon ?

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The last dome light that you show is a combo dome/map reading. The 62 GP that I bought in 64 had one. the lens on the map light swivels so the passenger or driver can use it. The map light is controlled by the switch on the base, while the light on the back is controlled by the door switches. BTW, there are also two rectangular dome lights along the side of the roof. Only one has a switch.
I have added a rechromed one to my current GP.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
Bruce: We're in luck. I have an excellent dome light holder. PM me your shipping address. Is this for the Bonne wagon ?

Jim
Killer! PM sent.

Yes, for the wagon. I got a hilarious response from SMS yesterday on the headliner - 'Not done yet. I'll pick up the pace'.

Pontiac 62 - more good info. The only '65-'66 cars I have seen not set up for the cool side map and reading lights are the wagons. Too bad, you could use the additional light provided by those back there. The switch would be a benefit as well since the doors are open all the time and it would be good to be able to turn off.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In my GP, the dome/map combo is mounted in the center, just above the seat backs.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 65 wagon has the pop in style lens in it, instead of the fancy hard to take out one.

On the one like pictured I just slide a small right angle pick above the ring with the pick point horizontal, turn the pick 90 degrees so the point is down, then pull the handle down. then the lens assembly pops off.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk View Post
My 65 wagon has the pop in style lens in it, instead of the fancy hard to take out one.

On the one like pictured I just slide a small right angle pick above the ring with the pick point horizontal, turn the pick 90 degrees so the point is down, then pull the handle down. then the lens assembly pops off.
That is what I was looking for. Thanks. I have one of those I use for other stuff. Handle gone but will work.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PM answered. BTW: I sent a pix of your wagon to former owner Ron. He's glad it's getting driven.

Thanks, Jim

Old 06-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wonder if that would be a good place for a LED replacement? Most of the fixtures seem to be "cooked"

http://store.ledoption.com/211-2-212...Bulbs-s/21.htm

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
He's glad it's getting driven.

Thanks, Jim
More than any other of my cars. I know they drove it a lot too. Hope he gets to see it one day after I get the interior done.

Jayhawk -

I know a cop that uses those in red. Works great for keeping your night vision. I think I might try one. I bet it would work well with the clear lens. Not sure about the milky plastic. IME LED is much more diffuse light and might not penetrate.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jayhawk: thanks for the lick. Going to order a couple.

Jim

Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, I like the idea of the LED.

I have a lense that is better than the one that you have, but not great (small crack, but can't be seen when installed). If you want it, it's yours. Just let me know where to send it.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the offer on the lens. I bought another I think is better than what I have, so maybe someone else can use it. It is funny b/c the same guy was selling 2 of them. I bought one for $7, & he immediately raised the price of the other one to $25! The heavy ones are pretty hard to find. Mine looks fine when installed despite missing a lot of the lip.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Senior Chief

SMS... Don't get me started.

I have the milky plastic easy to remove dome cover in my '64 sedan.

This post contributed nothing to the discussion. I apologize.

MK

Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bruce, my 68 wagon has the same round dome light you show. The bulb holder still looks pretty decent in it too. And SMS told me the same thing this week. He said he would talk to his guy and "push him along", and that he had been really backed up. I asked for my windlace so I could start on that, and he said he would get it shipped. Maybe both of our orders at the same time put the headliner guy over the edge.

LASJayhawk, just went out and tried the right angle pick trick, and it popped right off. Thanks for the tip! I was wondering how to get that thing off.

Alan