THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Senior Chief

Default A nice string of luck...and a nice score

I live 8 miles from my job. I've always been the type of guy who is OK driving a beater to work because I live so close. Also I like driving beaters because there's no car payment. I've had really good luck scoring beaters and cruising them for a while and then flipping them to find my next ride, or use the extra cash for parts for my Firebird.

My last beater flip was my 94 Wrangler. I bought it in Lancaster PA for $2000.00 because it had a rust hole in the frame. My buddy and I welded a custom patch panel onto the frame and I rocked the Jeep for a good year. Then when I got tired of it, I sold it on eBay for $3850.00 to a guy in Alabama. He wanted it because it was a 4 cyl, 5 speed, with factory A/C. I used $2800 of that money to buy my 95 Bronco and pocketed the rest.

Just recently I've had 2 daily drivers. I was using my 95 Bronco 2-3 days a week and my 86 Mustang GT 2-3 days a week in the nice weather. I bought the 86 GT in Virginia for $2500 for 2 reasons. Reason #1 was because it was a T-top car, and reason #2 is that it truly was rust free. Well as fun as the Mustang was to drive, I ended up putting it on eBay because I wanted to scrounge up some extra cash for some motor work and a new posi rear for my Firebird. I listed the 86 GT on eBay and to my shock it sold for $5250.00. WOW I honestly didn't see that coming. I had my reserve set at $3000.00. I was just looking to get my $2500 back plus the money I spent registering the car. I was pleasantly surprised to see it hit $5250.00 and even happier when the buyer showed up with cash!

For the past week I've been daily driving the Bronco and trying to decide whether I wanted to sell it and find something else or just keep rocking it and hope for no issues. So yesterday I was at a family BBQ and was talking with my 2 uncles and a few other guys about cars. The conversation about daily driver's came up and I mentioned that I was daily driving a 95 Bronco and that I was thinking of upgrading. So one of my parent's friends mentioned that he had a vehicle he was going to sell.

Long story short his wife is a retired school teacher. She's been retired for about 5 years and has an 02 Subaru WRX wagon with only 57,000 original miles. She bought it brand new and drove it back and forth to work for about 4-5 years and then retired. Since he has a nice comfy Lincoln SUV, they barely drive the WRX. They were thinking of listing the car for $6500.00 OBO but since I am a family friend and saving them the hassle of listing the car, and I have cash they told me I could have it for $5500.00. I grabbed that right away. I gave them a $500.00 deposit and I'm going back tomorrow to pick the car up and transfer the tags. I gotta admit that this car was a blast to drive and I'm looking forward to cruising it back and forth to work.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to keep the Bronco or sell that. Not sure what route I'm gonna go.

Here's the WRX:

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

Oh man, you totally scored! That cars are rad!

Question: How do you like using eBay for selling your cars? I have yet to sell one there because I'm afraid of the fee's and dealing with shipping the cars. I am seeing people getting more money for their cars over eBay though and considering using it next time.

Do you have any tips on selling a car through eBay?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetrucks View Post
Oh man, you totally scored! That cars are rad!

Question: How do you like using eBay for selling your cars? I have yet to sell one there because I'm afraid of the fee's and dealing with shipping the cars. I am seeing people getting more money for their cars over eBay though and considering using it next time.

Do you have any tips on selling a car through eBay?
I have had REALLY good luck selling cars on eBay. I use a specific formula which is to write up a LONG detailed description, use LOTS of pictures, and I also take a short video of my car. I upload the video onto youtube and then post the link in my auction. I've used that formula on my last few cars and have done really well.

A few examples of my recent good luck on eBay are my 86 GT. I bought it for $2500.00, changed the oil and gave it a bath and sold it for $5250.00. I sold my buddy's 69 Chevelle SS 396. He asked me to get him $20K and my auction ended at $25K. Just last week I sold the 96 Impala SS that my buddy inherited when his mother in law passed away. He and his wife thought that the car was worth between $5500.00-6000.00. It sold for $6500.00.

Just make sure you write up the auction the right way. Tell any potential buyers what YOUR terms are and you should be OK. I set up my auctions to allow potential buyers to give me a $500.00 deposit via Paypal and then specifically state that the car and the title won't leave my possession until paid for in full. If you write it up correctly you can have really good luck.

This is the auction for my 86 Mustang:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT-/2...orcev4exp=true

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Nicely done, thanks for sharing that link. Your auction is very detailed and shows that you took care of the care.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do the same with my DDs.....I score something at the right price, drive it for a few years then pick up another when a deal comes along. Works pretty good, as long as you don't "need" the latest flashy car.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 07-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Senior Chief

Dang, those Subarus really hold their value. I sold my 2002 WRX a few years ago for $7000 and it had around 120k on it. Watch the tranny on it. They're horrible for that year. Had to have mine completely gone over. The center diff literally blew up, as did a few of the syncros. Other than that, it was a pretty reliable car.

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff