Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Unhappy ign switch trunk lock

I have lost my car keys and would like to know how to change ignition switch and trunk lock without tearing anything up. I bought new key switch but can't remove the old one without putting the switch to the acc position. Can't locate the back portion of the switch that all of the wires connect to or I could replace the whole thing. Also, I have taken the back seat out and can't see the lock because I have a large air conditioner and extra transmission in there. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what year? I am sure someone on here has a switch for you.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the ignition switch, I'd pull the door trim off, remove the PASSENGER side door lock (the passenger side will have less wear than the drivers side lock), take the lock to a good locksmith and ask him to cut a key to work in the lock.

That should get your ignition key problem solved.

For the trunk lock, get a trunk key off every GM owning buddy you have and simply try it. You might be surprised that with a bit of jiggling, it might unlock.

If that doesn't work, all I can suggest if you can slide the items in the trunk to one side so you can get a suitable tool through the gap whereby you can grasp the flat tab and rotate it thereby unlocking the trunk. Final solution will be to drill out the lock barrell but that should be your absoloute LAST resort

Good luck. Oh, and get a spare set of keys and put them somewhere safe in your house

Ian

Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM

PHS it, that will have the key codes on it. The keys can be cut from that.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Lightbulb ign switch

Thanks for the replies. The car is a 65 Bonneville. The trunk key is in the body as opposed to the trunk lid. (they asked me that when I inquired at Auto Zone)
Can someone tell me how to PHS it? I didn't think they had the key codes that far back so I didn't persue the numbers route. Thanks again.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the link to Pontiac Historical Services: http://www.phs-online.com/ Also, as mentioned if you have any buddies with old GM cars, have them try their keys in both locks. You'd be surprised how often that works, they apparently didn't use very many different key patterns back then.

When I was a kid, one night my parents went out dancing with several other couples; my Dad had a '61 Catalina, and as it happened all the other people had Pontiacs as well. When they were leaving, one of the other couples discovered they'd locked their keys in their car. Just joking around, my dad stuck his key in the guy's door and it unlocked the car. Then, the other men tried their keys and every one of them worked as well.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could always make a bump key. Youtube probably has a 100 ways to make one!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM

Default key

Remove the glove compartment lock & do the same as the door lock mentioned earlier. It's the same key for the glove box & trunk.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The PHS's I have on the 65's did NOT have the key codes on the billing history card.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Heybuck that's a good idea on the ign lock.

And it gave me a good idea on the trunk. The glovebox uses the same key as the trunk, and only takes a few seconds to remove.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk View Post
Heybuck that's a good idea on the ign lock.

And it gave me a good idea on the trunk. The glovebox uses the same key as the trunk, and only takes a few seconds to remove.
Yes, I didn't think about the glove box. You are right, pull out a door lock and the glove box lock and get keys cut.

Actually, I can't claim the credit for the idea on pulling the door lock. A guy I know had some wife problems and she took his keys from his collector cars and threw them out. That's how he got his keys back. I must ask him if he used the glove box lock to get a new trunk lock key??

Cheers

Ian

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default door opening

Easy enough to use a slim jim (not trans) to open the door on these models. If it is a hard top, or vert, a coat hanger will work, if the inside lock has a knob. Be careful around the rubber.

Remove the rear seat back and open the trunk with a screwdriver taped to a broomstick. A bright flashlight is needed. I have seen people use an oil dipstick to open trunk locks at the junkyard.

The ignition bezel can be removed and a new switch, with key, is about 15 bucks. From there you need to get rekeyed or new locks.

This time have a 3rd set of keys made, stash them somewhere. I ususally forget the secret spots anyway, but...

Greg

Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk View Post
The PHS's I have on the 65's did NOT have the key codes on the billing history card.
All three of mine have the key codes.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill