The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM

Default door fitment

I have a problem with the front middle section of my doors rubbing the front fender when you open the door. The fenders are in proper position as they are bolted to front valance and movement there is minimal. Is it possible to move the door towards the rear of car to eliminate this? Loosen hinges and slide door and what about the piece (striker) does that need moved as well so door lock mechanism strikes properly. Let me know what you guys think...

1969 Custom"S" 400 stroked to 455 Holley Dominator 870 Pontiac Performer intake KRE heads Kieth Black pistons Crane Cam Hooker ceramic coated headers CVF Racing pulley system 700r4 trans built/700hp Ford 9" 3.73 posi 4-wheel disc brakes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Easier and quicker to move the fenders forward. Are the fenders flush at the rocker and good at the upper door and hood? If so, what you describe can be caused by too many shims at the bottom of the fender, taking some of the bow out & causing it to be too "flat".
And I don't understand the part about your front valance and minimal movement.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Also, according to body manual. Believe me, I'm doing my 1969 gto now. Pulling my hair out. The front edge of the door needs to be tapered in about 1/16 of an inch from flush with the fender. Good luck. Does anyone know the number to "Bosley Hair replacement" ?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your door alignment to the rear quarter is good don't move the door. The door always needs to be aligned to the quarter first. Then do what needs to be done to the front end (i.e. shims, moving forward or backward, putting a little more or less bow in the fender to match the door, raise or lower the radiator core support, etc.) to the proper fit. Over the years the fender may have been improperly fit and in previous times someone may have bent it either in a fender bender or on purpose trying to get a fit and in general just screwed things up. Start at the quarter first (assuming it is correct) and move forward.