Old 08-17-2013, 11:52 PM

Default car will not idle and has no power

I have a 66 gto with a carter afb 4034s. Changed the accelerator pump due to hard starting put everything back together and started. Found car started right up but fuel was coming out everywhere. I then removed top of carb and found that the needle valve seat faulty. Changed the faulty needle valve seat, set the floats per spec and installed top of carb. Measured accelerator pump clearance, checks good at .375. Started car and found that engine will not idle. Idle circuit of power circuit or both?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You may also want to post this in the Pontiac-Street section to solicit more responses.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would verify that you do not have a large Vacuum Leak before tearing the carb apart again, if it will not run below something like 2000 rpm, you may have a leaking base plate gasket, or other leak. Just something to check before your tear into the carb again.

These are very difficult issues to T/S unless you are actually in front of the car.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
I have a 66 gto with a carter afb 4034s. Changed the accelerator pump due to hard starting put everything back together and started. Found car started right up but fuel was coming out everywhere. I then removed top of carb and found that the needle valve seat faulty. Changed the faulty needle valve seat, set the floats per spec and installed top of carb. Measured accelerator pump clearance, checks good at .375. Started car and found that engine will not idle. Idle circuit of power circuit or both?
Did you rebuild the whole carb? If not did you replace the gaskets? Are you sure that the float is working correctly? When it was apart did you have air going through the float switch and move the flow pin or float up and down to see if it was shutting off and turning on the flow of air? Did you blow out all of the fuel inner lines, make sure that there was fuel flow (I use 2+2 for that with the red straw) and make sure that there were no markings on the needles from over tightening? Was the fuel chamber able to get fuel? That gets full of crud on the bottom and blocks fuel from entering the fuel chamber. Was the spring and steel ball working correctly?
One more question, do you have spark at your points and are your plugs clean, not fouled or wet from cranking ?

Good Luck
Jax

Old 08-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know how much AFB info you have but this may be useful:

http://thefirstgensite.com/library/6...7S6BP29_43.pdf

Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

when you changed needle and seat, did you readjust the float level? Also, sometimes the little hangar that attaches to the needle will hang up the operation of the float. The hangar is supposed to pull the needle up as the float goes down.