THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lady still has the first Mustang ever sold

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...123831938.html

I love the part where they saw a guy in the paper claiming that he'd bought the first Mustang....one day after she bought hers.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Missed it by that much.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Missed it by that much.

bbwaahahaaaaaa

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a guy just a few houses down from me that claims he has the first V8 Mustang convertible produced, and documented as such. He bought it from a museum. I don't know if his story is true.

Now I'm starting to wonder if "the other owner in Chicago" is the guy a few houses down from me!

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not getting any of this.

I thought the first Mustang sold is now in Henry Ford Museum.

It's the one that was sold to a pilot from Newfoundland, and then Ford Motor Company bought it back.

What am I missing here?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked up the Mustang the pilot in Newfoundland bought and found this press release: http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4202792323.PDF which says he bought it on April 17, 1964. The woman in the first post bought hers on April 15.

I wonder if the Henry Ford museum has heard about this yet. Maybe the pilot's car has a lower VIN than the one the woman bought.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I looked up the Mustang the pilot in Newfoundland bought and found this press release: http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4202792323.PDF which says he bought it on April 17, 1964. The woman in the first post bought hers on April 15.

I wonder if the Henry Ford museum has heard about this yet. Maybe the pilot's car has a lower VIN than the one the woman bought.
That was my first thought.

Besides. this was 50 years ago. How does anyone know that they have the first Mustang sold. The first one could have been in the scrap yard and the owner long since gone by now. This woman is the only one to come up with a bill of sale that early.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i suppose that could be kinda interesting..is it the first mustang ever SOLD, or the first mustang ever BUILT? theres a difference. the VIN of one of those cars is lower than the other--just need to see which one---we know who supposedly has the first one SOLD, but do we know who owns the first one BUILT?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
There's a guy just a few houses down from me that claims he has the first V8 Mustang convertible produced, and documented as such. He bought it from a museum. I don't know if his story is true.

Now I'm starting to wonder if "the other owner in Chicago" is the guy a few houses down from me!
Mike, do you know what town she lives in? Im just wondering of she lives in the same area I go to cruise nights.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebo View Post
i suppose that could be kinda interesting..is it the first mustang ever SOLD, or the first mustang ever BUILT? theres a difference. the VIN of one of those cars is lower than the other--just need to see which one---we know who supposedly has the first one SOLD, but do we know who owns the first one BUILT?
I would think Ford would know that based on VIN. But who knows.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul, no, I don't know about this woman. I was referring to this guy that lives a few houses away from me. One day I saw him working on a 66 Mustang fastback in his garage, I stopped to chat, and he showed me his 64 Mustang convertible under his car cover. I'm not a Mustang guy, so I just thought it was another red ragtop Mustang. But he told me it was the first V8 ragtop built (not the first Mustang built, the first V8 ragtop), and he said it was used in one of the promo films (there's a few) for the 1964 Mustang introduction. He bought it from a museum, paid quite a bit of money. But from what I remember, under 6 figures.

Then again, he could be blowing smoke up my arse too. In the years he's been working on his Mustangs in his garage (one is going to be a restomod 66 Shelby clone), he's never even blinked twice when I've passed his house in my Firebird, and never cared to walk down to see my car.

He seemed very into Mustangs and Fords, and not much else.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Paul, no, I don't know about this woman. I was referring to this guy that lives a few houses away from me. One day I saw him working on a 66 Mustang fastback in his garage, I stopped to chat, and he showed me his 64 Mustang convertible under his car cover. I'm not a Mustang guy, so I just thought it was another red ragtop Mustang. But he told me it was the first V8 ragtop built (not the first Mustang built, the first V8 ragtop), and he said it was used in one of the promo films (there's a few) for the 1964 Mustang introduction. He bought it from a museum, paid quite a bit of money. But from what I remember, under 6 figures.

Then again, he could be blowing smoke up my arse too. In the years he's been working on his Mustangs in his garage (one is going to be a restomod 66 Shelby clone), he's never even blinked twice when I've passed his house in my Firebird, and never cared to walk down to see my car.

Not to derail this thread, but you should get the Firebird and join us on the caravan to Pontiac next Sunday the 22nd. The meeting spot is in Bollingbrook and I think we have about 40 - 50 Pontiacs in the cruise. If your interested, let me know and Ill share the details.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Senior Chief

, I stopped to chat, and he showed me his 64 Mustang convertible under his car cover.

Aren't all first year Mustangs 65s?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Suspended

Quote:

It'd be funny to bust him on it if it's the same guy.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice they drive it.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
, I stopped to chat, and he showed me his 64 Mustang convertible under his car cover.

Aren't all first year Mustangs 65s?
I asked Ford Motor Company about this (because of the aforementioned car in the HF/GFV museum).

They said among enthusiasts the first Mustangs are known as 64 & 1/2 but Ford never called them that; Ford only recognizes the '65 model year designation.

I believe the car in the museum is VIN #0001.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I asked Ford Motor Company about this (because of the aforementioned car in the HF/GFV museum).

They said among enthusiasts the first Mustangs are known as 64 & 1/2 but Ford never called them that; Ford only recognizes the '65 model year designation.

I believe the car in the museum is VIN #0001.

K
Its a cool story with legs and probably better than one Ford could do on a museum piece. But, still good PR either way....

"After further consulting with Ford and Mustang owner groups, the Wises' convertible has been deemed the first Mustang sold to the public." is the claim and at the end of the day. Its a pretty cool story!

Yes, Paul having that BIll of Sale document today is what matters. Not stories of ones that could have been...

Last edited by Judge273; 09-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always called the 64-1/2 Mustangs 64's, the same way we call the 70-1/2 Firebirds 70's. At least the enthusiasts call them that way. I believe there were some developmental changes made to the 64-1/2 Mustangs around the time the new 1965 models were debuting, enough minor changes that Mustang fans know the 64-1/2 verses the 65 model. But true, Ford called them 1965 Mustangs during their long first year of production.

I love the fastback Mustang body, and I really like all the early Mustangs. Favorites are the 69-70 Boss 429, Mach 1's, 67 Shelby.

Note to Paul: At this time, we're going to the Pontiac Museum show on Saturday. Taking the 69 Bird, unless weather changes, then we'll be taking my GXP. I think we have a few Pontiacs caravaning too. If things change and we go on Sunday, I'll be sure to contact you about meeting at Denny's!

Last edited by MikeNoun; 09-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW: If not for the Mustang there would be no....a lot of cool things. Including Firebirds