Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Default 12SI Powermaster Alternator

Bought a new 12SI alternator and when I tried to install the unit I noticed the plug-in and battery connection lug are in the 3 o'clock position. Can I loosen the the 4 bolts on the case and re-clock the unit in the 12 o"clock position? Thanks

Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yep, just be careful to not separate the front housing from the stator and rear housing, just rotate one relative to the other. otherwise the brushes may pop out and then you would need to deal with that. Not a biggie, but easier to avoid.

George

Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if you do it wrong you can break off wires inside and ruin the alternator. my suggestion is call the mfg and maybee they will walk you thru it. there has to be some kinda hole in back of alt to hold the brushes in and I would be more worried about breaking the wires than the brushes falling out. if you break the alt apart they probably wont warranty it with out their permission.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There IS a hole in the rear housing used to install the brushes, but if care is taken and the housings not separated, just loosened, they can be repositioned easily. The rotor (and slip rings) are part of the front housing, the stator, diode bridge, and brushes are in the rear housing.

George