Old 10-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Chief

Default Steering Column Rebuild Question

Hello,

I'm currently restoring my '64 Grand Prix, and I have the steering column out of the car, as I am working on the electrical in the interior, etc., and wanted it out of the way. I am going to replace the coupler at the end of the steering shaft (where the shaft meets the steering box), since I am using a later model steering box with a faster ratio and the original coupler was toast. I was never able to drive the car, and it sat outside for 15+ years before I bought it. For your info it is a power steering car with the shifter in the floor console car.

Is there anything I should check or parts I should replace in the steering column before I put the steering system back together and eventually put the car back on the road? I checked this forum and the "Suspension" forum and didn't find anything about what to check or what to repair/replace with a steering column. I hadn't planned to do anything with the column other than paint it and either restore or replace the original steering wheel, but since I'm restoring the whole car, I definitely don't want to miss something. Especially something as important for safety for me, my passengers, and those around me, as steering. Thank in advance for your help!

Chris

Old 10-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bearing at the bottom if it needs it. They can get crunchy over time especially if the car sat out. You can tell by spinning the shaft, or removing to have a look. Not sure if new ones are available, but I have swapped out of various other columns. Finding a good used one no problem especially in your area.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC, you can disassemble and regrease the bearings for a smooth steer.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 AM

There is a place that I think offers replacement lower bearings in a new housing but I can't seem to find that place now.

This is how I rebuilt mine.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...14#post4815614

TS

Last edited by TSMartin; 10-14-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

When I rebuilt the column on my 66 Bonnie it was the same exact bearing that was used on my 1966 Corvette column..
All Corvette parts websites sell them....

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AZ, you have tilt steering as well? My GP does and it is pretty sloppy. To the point the horn honks when i turn lol. i assume there is a bearing above the tilt point as well. Some one with knowledge could chime in as i am also wanting the answer. Timken probably makes the bearing if you had all of the dimensions they need.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Willshire - my steering column is non-tilt, so I don't have the problem you do with the column being loose. When I get to the point of getting close to reinstalling the column, I'm going to check the upper and lower bearings. If it can be cleaned and regreased (assuming the bearing is greased), I'll do that. If not, I'll go searching for a matching bearing(s).

Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Gary''s Classic Columns should be able to hook you up with parts. They have me in the past anyway.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill