Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Default AM/FM Radios

were the original 65-67 GTO and big car 65-66 radios stereo or mono?

Jim

Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mono

Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM

thanks, i suppose there no sense in obtainning an original GTO or convert the faceplate on a big car for my GTO then. i'll look at the aftermarket ones. anyone get one of those over $500 ones that look original that are sold everywhere? the ones you wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Jim

Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Yeah, I bought one. Didn't install it yet, so can't tell you about the sound. From a distance, it looks original but I was disappointed in the plastic knobs and selector buttons. Seems kind of cheap looking compared to an original, especially for what it cost. When I do the install, I'm going to see if I can use the heavier factory knobs instead of what it comes with.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a stock AM in the hole just for appearances. I am installing a modern radio in the glove box as soon as I get the installation plate.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is a company that can convert a AM radio to AM-FM stereo. They use the original case and controls and replace the electronics inside. I believe if you google SMS Auto you will find thier information.

Mark C

Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can also still find the FM converters on eBay that were popular in the 70's. They're small, easy to install, and work well. Plus, you'll be adding a piece of nostalgia to your car that is period correct. People will ask you how you're getting FM out or your factory original AM radio. Pull out the miniature sized converter box you have tucked away and they're amazed anything like that existed back then (unless they're my age). The converter was a cheap and amazing invention. It is essentially and FM radio that converts the output audio signal to an AM radio frequency, usually dialed in around 12 on the AM dial. Very cool.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can put an OEM AM radio in the dash & forget it. Get yourself a Big Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth speaker and play music off your smart phone. Jambox sits comfortably on the console, with volume control at your finger tips, and requires no installation. Recharge every 12 or 14 hours of play.

I used one all summer in my 66 Lemans. Loved it. High tech sound, plenty of volume, wide variety of music off the smart phone. You can pick one up for around $300.00 dollars on sale at the Verizon stores. Buy it from the local Verizon store as opposed to ebay as Verizon offers a new replacement warranty if it breaks in the first year.

You will want the Big Jambox as the two smaller don't put out the volume the big one does.

link here:
https://jawbone.com/speakers?gclid=C...oAAA&gclsrc=ds

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 PM

i am familiar with the FM converters. had them in the '70s. they are mono. hard to tune one knob. will look into the high tech idea. no smart phone here.

jim

Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jambox will also work of an iPod...

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't need full tilt correct - a lot of the late 60 early 70 Chevy Buick Olds AM/FM stereo radios will fit a 64-67 radio opening without mods.
A lot cheaper than correct early GTO AM/FM.
Most Buick and Olds units will need some slight cosmetic adjustments to get rid of their Branded ID.

So long as you have Any FM source - you can then use these $10-20 stand alone wireless gizmos that plug right into your cigarette lighter and play music stored on SD card or USB stick through your FM radio frequency.
Pretty slick tricks they have today.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 AM

What ever you do will be disappointing if attempting to use the original speaker and location. Get some form of hidden modern equipment and speakers. I went with the secret audio system with remote control. It has lots of inputs available and 200 watt four speaker output. The real trick is where do you hide the speakers, and not cut up any panels.

Bob