Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Senior Chief

Default Manual steering really getting manual

Im not sure if this is the right forum- couldnt really find much elsewhere so I was out for one of the last day rides for the season running my newly restored engine. Got into the grocery parking and went to leave and it took me about 6 trys back and forth to get out of the parking space and I really had to yank on the wheel to get it turned.. It seems to be binding really hard. My steering has always been like driving a boat and have had thoughts of rebuilding the steering box? any thoughts. Neil

Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Manual steering is tough enough if your not moving. But once moving even a little it shouldn't be all that hard. At least my GTO isn't so bad once it's moving. Yep, mine is manual too. I never cared for power steering. My 1st GTO was manual too.

Try this. Jack up the frontend so both tires are off the floor. Then grab a wheel, not the steering wheel, and see so hard it is to turn the wheels left and right. Not that it should make much difference but then try the steering wheel. It might help give a feel if anything is messed up. Other than that.... a mechanic would be the next step IMO.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there is an adjustment screw on the box. That might help?

Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The adjustment screw won't help. That's simply to take up gear lash. I would first check your tire pressure, and then the front end alignment/suspension components. Binding ball joints or tie rod ends are rare, but could cause a hard steer issue. Most likely, rough pavement and low air in the tires causing a lot of friction. The way a mechanical gearbox functions, it either works or it doesn't due to breakage of the gear. It may get sloppier over time, but it shouldn't get harder to steer the car. I suspect tires/suspension angle issues.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Increase the air pressure in your tires. I run mine at 38lbs and it does help with the steering.... but the overall ride will suffer a bit.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, these cars steer easier with the skinny, slippery 7.75x14 bias ply tires they were designed with. With fat and sticky modern radials, the steering effort escalates.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info everyone. i think the tire pressure is fine and wouldnt account for the binding then releasing almost a jerking feeling that i just noticed this last week. The front end problems are interesting though- I have wondered about the shape of the ball joints and tie rods.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Better not drive it until you get down there and find the trouble. Or, troubles.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you turn the wheel slightly while going straight and then let go of the wheel, does the steering wheel come back to center? Or does the car keep turning. If the car keeps turning, suspect a frozen ball joint or other steering link joint (dangerous). If the wheel jerks hard back to center when you turn the wheel and release it, then you have an alignment issue (too much caster).