Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Smartphone

Finally thinking about getting with it and getting a smartphone. Now that the plans are getting reasonable it may be time to upgrade from my old 'aarp' flip phone.

I need some input on what to get, what to pay, which plan, etc. Here are my parameters: I definitely am looking for an android smartphone, I have no desire for any apple product, NO iphone. I talk very, very little on my phone. I mostly will use it occasionally for Facebook and email. I don't want a contract, and of course I want an unlimited everything plan where I don't have to worry. I don't need the latest and greatest phone, but I want one that will work. And I don't live in a metro area, so that is a consideration.

So, anyone have any thoughts??

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not wanting a Iphone will take out a LOT of people!I cant live without mine now and I have a old one.Tom

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think there's a carrier that will offer an iPhone without a contract. So that takes out Apple.

Decent non contract Android phones are expensive. The cheaper ones are old school and not really worth it because they are cumbersome to use. If your looking to get Android for Facebook and email, consider a Samsung Galaxy tablet. If you have wireless at home, the tablet will connect and your good to surf without paying any annual fee. My daughter has one and I think it was about $150.00. Yon can even surf PY on the tablet.

Be very carefull though. There are many different versions of Android out there and some of them are old or they have very small memory capacity which means they move slow. Old versions of Android really suck.

Even if you don't have wireless at home you can get a router cheap. Then you have wireless an still don't have to pay any fees for data usage on a phone.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 02-09-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Highly recommend the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. 2 day battery life and since Google bought Motorola Mobile, the phone has it all.
For example, push one button and say "take me home" and the GPS starts up.
In a new city? Say "take to me to the Irish Pub"

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a Samsung droid - hated it.

I've had an I-Phone 5 for over a year now - love it.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I had a Samsung droid - hated it.

I've had an I-Phone 5 for over a year now - love it.
I'm an Apple guy. iPad Air and iPhone 5. I love them. My whole family has Apple products.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
Highly recommend the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. 2 day battery life and since Google bought Motorola Mobile, the phone has it all.
For example, push one button and say "take me home" and the GPS starts up.
In a new city? Say "take to me to the Irish Pub"
I have this phone for the business. There's nothing this phone does that the iPhone does not do. However, the built in gps is better that what iPhone can offer. I think that's because google owns the web when it comes to navigation.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
I have this phone for the business. There's nothing this phone does that the iPhone does not do. However, the built in gps is better that what iPhone can offer. I think that's because google owns the web when it comes to navigation.
Get the WAZE app. https://www.waze.com/

The first time it warns you there is police activity ahead you will want to call & thank me!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for iPhone..... Not what you want to hear ... I know

Tried a Motorola MotoX ...... sent it right back.....

I CANNOT stand the Android platform.....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 02-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Get the WAZE app. https://www.waze.com/

The first time it warns you there is police activity ahead you will want to call & thank me!
I've got that on my tablet. But my tablet is kind of cumbersome to carry on my person.

BTW, I can use an Iphone with my current carrier (Consumer Cellular) with no contract, but don't have unlimited plans. And to purchase an Iphone from them is expensive!!

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the Motorola that has been recommended.

Any other comments??

Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry,check into the older 4S,I got mine for $50 from ATT.WAZE is the greatest!Just last week it saved me over 30 min on my way home by sending me around a accident.Beside my serius radio it is always open when im driving.Even shows if there is a red light camera ahead.Tom

Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

iPhones have a great and intuitive user interface and lots of apps, but you are tied to "The Apple Way" for lots of things like iTunes and you don't have much freedom to do things your way. Nothing wrong with this, it's just different. I returned my iPhone 5 after 3 days. The latest iPhone is de rigueur* with my high schoolers. Very few kids have an Android phone.

Android phones are more like a PC, you can do things the way you want, add more memory, drag-n-drop music right from your PC, plenty of free apps. The flexibility of the user interface makes the use experience less consistent.

The bottom line is what do you use it for, to make phone calls or to play games? All the newer phones are fine for phone calls, email, and text messages. The rest is minor in my opinion.

BTW, every fold-up or slider phone I ever had eventually failed due to the ribbon cable wearing out. Avoid older models of anything as the reception was not as good as today's phones. I remember early iPhone users sprinting towards the nearest window as soon as their phone rang so they wouldn't drop the call.

* necessary if you want to be fashionable, popular, socially acceptable, etc.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My d Motorola droid is my second android which has irritated me faster than my first one. Like a PC it gets slow a starts to really suck. This one is six months old and no longer texts pictures at all. I'm getting an iPhone, they say those don't slow down.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSBACK View Post
My d Motorola droid is my second android which has irritated me faster than my first one. Like a PC it gets slow a starts to really suck. This one is six months old and no longer texts pictures at all. I'm getting an iPhone, they say those don't slow down.
There isnt a better test that what my daughter puts her iPhone 4 through. Constant everything using every app in the world and streaming constant video on YouTube. They do slow down if you have too many apps running at the same time (you just neeed to close them out) and you need to turn them off once in in a while. Thats it. Hers still operates just as good as my 5 that doesn't get anywhere near the abuse. But I do have to say that while Apple may seem like its behind the times when it comes to the abilities of an Android, the reliability of an Apple product is second to none.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM

I have a B15 Caterpillar phone. It still uses a sim card and the provider doesn't see it as a smart phone. I use the internet through free wifi.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a multi-year old 4s. I long since qualified for an upgrade but my 4s works too well....

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Constant complaint from my teens: Apple chargers and cables constantly fail. If you buy an off-brand instead of paying big bux for apple it may work for a while but soon you get the message on your phone that the cable and charger are not compatible. What a ripoff. That alone would keep me from buying an Apple product.
Plus our iTunes account has been hacked a couple of time compromising our credit card and Apple arrogantly says it's not their problem.

Last edited by fiedlerh; 02-11-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,my wife has a 3 and I have a 4 and have had them for a long time.We use aftermarket chargers both car and wall and have never had a issue.Just lucky I guess.Tom

Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry you Apple guys. They may be the best things since sliced bread, but I will not buy nor use one. I just refuse to buy into Apple's way of doing business. That's just a personal decision I've made. I'd rather just keep my old flip phone.

It seems now the problem I'm having is finding a 'true' unlimited plan for just one phone, with no contract and using my own phone. Living out in a rural area limits me also.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AT&T just dropped their plan prices due to competition from T-Mobile. You get upped to 2.5 GB of data and unlimited text/messaging, for around $40/ month for a smart phone.

BTW here is my latest communication with Apple Customer Service:

"I have deleted our credit card info from iTunes and have instructed our family to never to use it again. It appears there are security issues with iTunes. We have had numerous problems in the past with iTunes security resulting in us having to get new credit cards.
We have had additional fraudulent charges since our last communication. The credit card company is apparently aware of iTunes security problems and will gladly remove the charges."