Midwest Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 03-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

Default Woodward help

Wondering what the options are for parking at Woodward. Not sure if we are going to have a spot yet and want to have a back up plan as we have quite a big crew going up from OH.

Can you MI folks provide some assistance and thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would recommend you contact Dr Eric Schiffer at this site (...meaning PY). He is our resident guru when it comes to Dream Cruise parking and such.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I would recommend you contact Dr Eric Schiffer at this site (...meaning PY). He is our resident guru when it comes to Dream Cruise parking and such.

K
Keith,
I see this is an old thread but am wondering if you have a screen name for Dr. Shiffer. I did a few searches but did not locate a member by that name. For better or worse my schedule has opened up so I am thinking of bringing the GTO up as Woodward is on my bucket list. Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerry

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 AM

The Woodward Gto tigers usually have a lot with parking for a small fee for non members. Between Pontiac and royal oak where it is less crowded. Might. Check there website to see if they have info posted

Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmymistress View Post
Keith,
I see this is an old thread but am wondering if you have a screen name for Dr. Shiffer. I did a few searches but did not locate a member by that name. For better or worse my schedule has opened up so I am thinking of bringing the GTO up as Woodward is on my bucket list. Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerry
PM sent.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info JD and Keith. I sent a message this weekend. Hope to get up to Woodward this year.
One other question. If I decided to just cruise it is remotely possible to find a restaurant/rest stop once in awhile or do you have to completely leave the Woodward to fnd a stopping point?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM

WOW, finding a resturant along Woodward Avenue is the very least of your worries, in the 26 miles there are hundreds to choose from.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Senior Chief

You can also turn off at any street every town along Woodward has something going on, there is a free bus service that will take you through the whole deal. Don't forget the Detroit Zoo and its about where the action starts.

Gregg

Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM

You could email joe.hildebrand@oakpress.com to request him to email a registration to the show in Pontiac. If I remember it is $30 bucks to park fri and sat.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the additional info. I have only viewed photos and it looks like a massive event. I do want to cruise but hoping to stop somewhere along the way so I can watch the collection of cars running the route. Pretty excited to finally have time to come up to Woodward as this has been on my list for years and now I finally have time to go.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Senior Chief

I would go to the Detroit Zoo that would take care of parking, the Zoo is cool and there is so much going on you will probably need to break up the day, the cruise basically starts at the Zoo anyway and you can sit on the curb in front and see it all and when the free buss comes by you can hop on and see the cars parked along the blvd, you can also get off the bus where ever you want and get back on at any stop, the bus makes many stops.

Gregg

Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

I've done the Cruise many times, you can easily find places to park and watch the action without paying anybody. There's people cruising all week. If you get out early on Saturday, you can find places right in the heart of the cruise, right where the old Royal Pontiac was. Places to eat??? As stated, geez take your pick man... Be sure to check out Dugan's Irish Pub on Woodard in Royal Oak-
31501 Woodward Ave, Royal Oak, MI 48073
Great food and is one of the "Places to be" if you are going to go on the cruise. You will have an awesome time, everyone tells you about it and then once you go you understand. You have to see it to believe it....
These are early morning pix!!!

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How about Friday?

I don't want to hijack the thread......what is the action like on Friday? Is it easier to find places to park and view the cruise on Friday v.s. Saturday?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R68GTO View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread......what is the action like on Friday? Is it easier to find places to park and view the cruise on Friday v.s. Saturday?
Friday's awesome. Especially late at night up around Pontiac. (If you like to see "action" versus gridlock) All week there's people cruising. Friday night is very active and there's LOTS of places to park for free, you just have to look and you will find them. I've been able to park at right on Woodard many times and walk around and see the action...

Old 07-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TEE8GTO View Post
...right where the old Royal Pontiac was....
Almost. Royal was at 400 N Main (Livernois) just north of 11 Mile, not on Woodward itself.

K

Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

Is Duggan's the place that if you introduce yourself as Irish and put an O in front of your name first beer is on the house

O-Blakemore

Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the additional info. I am getting excited to finally attend the cruise. I had visions of sitting in traffic for hours on end and having to pee in a cup. I plan to leave FL on Thursday and arrive mid day Friday. Now to find a hotel!

Hope to see some of you guys up there.

Kerry

Old 08-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does the Royal Pontiac Club have a spot where they will be parked?

Old 08-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes - they will be in Birmingham. There are no remaining spots through their reservation, though.

If you need a place to park I noticed today that the city of Pontiac was advertising spots still available in "Lot #9", which is right in the center of the Loop. Let me know if you need more detail on that.

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-12-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Keith, hopefully things will dry out enough for us to make it up there. We were there last year and had a blast driving the cruise even if it wasn't in a GTO it was great to be there. This year we plan to check out the cruise from the side of the road.