Old 04-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Replacement top back window question

Looking at car where I will need to replace the top. Which is better, glass window or the plastic. Seen info where they recommend you unzip the window and put towells on both sides. Is this common practice?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had convertibles most of my life and have three right now. I never ever unzip the window for the purpose of putting the top down. Now unzip to drive around with the top up beats air comditioning but I probably havent dome that in five years or more.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For 25 years I had never had unzipped my plastic back window when I put the top down. Then one time the zipper separated at the top corner. Now I usually unzip it, no towel though. If I am feeling lazy or in a hurry I just leave it zipped. Jim

Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These cars came with the plastic back window, not glass. I had the top replaced on my '67 GTO in 1985, and it's still in good shape. Replaced the plastic window in '91, as it fogged up from the car never being inside a garage (daily driver). The window I had installed in '91 is still ok, as the car became a garaged vehicle in 1993. I never unzip to lower the top, just make sure that the top and window are clean, and about halfway thru the top lowering process, I remove the creases from the rear window so it folds cleanly. Have never used a towel, but it's a good idea, as my window is chafed a bit where it sits folded onto itself. Properly maintained, a convertible top and plastic window can last a long, long time.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dumb question.... 2 of them. Do they even make a glass rear window for the A-body convertible top? Would it be better than having the plastic rear window?

The only convertible I've owned was a 66 MGB. The plastic window in the top was a piece of crap. Fogged, scratched, and just plain nasty. Not sure if it was the original as I was the third owner, but from the looks of it it had to be.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, they are available. They are smaller than the plastic, with a canvas strip about 8 inches tall along the bottom because, obviously, glass doesn't fold. I don't care for them as they look 'wrong' to me. But then, I don't like 18" wheels, either. Glass has the potential of being a longer lasting, optically superior window, though.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always wonder why GM didn't try doing the folding hardtop like the 1957 Ford Fairlane's Retractable Convertible Hardtop. I think that would have been cool for the A-bodies. They did do it for the G6 in 2007 thru 2009.

Edit:
And look at what I found..... http://www.pontiac.com/?seo=goo_G6_Convertible
Dated 2014 by GM. Now ain't that strange GM still has a Pontiac website.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"

Last edited by GT182; 04-07-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think because it was heavy, complicated, expensive, and with yesterday's technology, unreliable. Have had friends with '57-'59 retractable Fords and, though trick, were always high-maintenance. Too cumbersome for a 'musclecar' that targeted cash poor first time car buyers in their 20's...

Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, you're probably right on that Jeff.

There's a couple if retractable hardtop 57s around here. Owner say they don't have problems with them, but you know how classic Ford owners are. They won't admit to nuthin. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"