THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Suspended

Default Gas Prices?

Filled up today and local station was @ $3.42 per gallon for Regular Unleaded.

IIRC, last week same station, same blend was around $3.29...

Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Paid $3.79 for regular yesterday. Gotta love NY.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 PM

$3.65 here, when will it end?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went from $3.65 yesterday to $3.79 today. I filled up at BJs where it was ONLY $3.62.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Senior Chief

Angry

You think that's expensive try a 1.46 a litre for regular unleaded that's $6.62 an imperial gallon or 5.30 a us gallon..... Montreal QC

Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At Least you're STILL in Canada!!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the refineries are in the process of switching over from the winter blend gas, to the summer blend. this results in a temporary lower volume of refined gas available and increases the cost. once the change over is complete, the prices will regulate down again. same thing happens in the fall. (only the other way)

yeah, right. I'm calling bull sh!t on this. just want to increase the profit margin more. it will go up $0.15- $0.25 or more and maybe drop $0.03- $0.05.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our local gas prices dropped $.06 per gallon today.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN2PLS2 View Post
At Least you're STILL in Canada!!
Mark: I think Pauline "the pepper" Marois has gas.....

Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$3.89 to $3.99 for regular, and $4.29 for Premium.

Some great excuses for when gas prices soar:

1) Summer blends, or winter blends, or not enough blends, or too much supply, or not enough supply.

2) Something happened to an oil refinery somewhere on the planet.

3) There's unrest in the Middle East.

4) There's unrest in Asia.

If you stick to these 4 excuses, they can justify price hikes whenever they want, and the sheeple continue to buy the stuff.

I miss the days of 2008, when gas was $1.80 a gallon, under a leader that didn't want us all driving electric cars.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 PM

Gas prices are all BS. The oil companies can raise or lower prices based upon what criteria that they set up. Media always reports refineries doing maintenance, world crisis in middle east and so on. There is no basis on the price per gallon, I have seen outrageous prices when oil was $85.00 a barrel and prices drop when oil was $110.00 per barrel. It makes no sense and never will. It is their ball, and they will continue to do whatever works for their agenda. Shortages are manufactured and gives them basis to raise or lower prices based upon how they want to conduct business. It is the same for the stock market. We will never be a winner in todays world!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys must be getting hosed!

I only have to pay the retailers here about $2.96/gal for regular.

Of course, that doesn't include about $0.53/gal that I have to fork over to the federal gov't and state gov't for the privilege of doing business with the local retailer. My retailer's a nice guy, he figures the tax for me and sets the pump price accordingly, saves me the inconvenience of figuring out the tax and paying it separately.

I'm sure his wholesale cost includes a pile of buried taxes too. But I'm sure if he could buy it tax free, he would just pocket the extra profit since he isn't that nice a guy to share the savings with me.

He complains to me that he has to pay rent, maintain his equipment, purchase liability insurance, deal with drive-offs, but I've seen his 4 yr. old Kia, newer than what I drive. He can't convince me that he isn't charging a little more than he needs to.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw it this morning for $3.19 per gallon. It has dropped a few pennies in the last couple of weeks.

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 PM

Fuel is ruining this country!!! Oil bills are thru the roof too.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
$3.89 to $3.99 for regular, and $4.29 for Premium.

Some great excuses for when gas prices soar:

1) Summer blends, or winter blends, or not enough blends, or too much supply, or not enough supply.

2) Something happened to an oil refinery somewhere on the planet.

3) There's unrest in the Middle East.

4) There's unrest in Asia.

If you stick to these 4 excuses, they can justify price hikes whenever they want, and the sheeple continue to buy the stuff.

I miss the days of 2008, when gas was $1.80 a gallon, under a leader that didn't want us all driving electric cars.
Dittos, Mike!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3.58 here.The suburbs of filthydelphia.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gas prices are not that bad when you consider inflation. Willing to bet all of us make a lot more money then we did in 1983.

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just went to 3.94 today.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 PM

This decal I made for a friends van sums it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0647.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	360021  

Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GRX, somewhat valid point but one big flaw in your thinking. In 1983, I was 6 yrs out of college.

In order to compare apples to apples, you would need to argue that a guy 6 yrs out of college TODAY with similar value to an employer now as I offered in 1983 is making a lot more money than I was then. Then compare that increase with the rise in gasoline price.

Yes, I make a lot more money, but I'm a LOT more valuable to my employer today. The increase in my income was only partly fueled by inflation.

Comparing more rationally, gasoline prices take a bigger bite out of household expenses today vs. 1983 than a comparison of an indidual's income rise over 30 years would suggest.

However, on the whole I agree. Gasoline is a pretty good value for me.

To those that complain about the high price and tend to demonize oil companies, I'd ask this. If the price fell to $1.80/gal, do you think consumption would rise?

The answer is obvious. Supply and demand is at the root of the price of gasoline.

If gasoline was such a lucrative commodity, we should expect refineries to pop up like weeds. It isn't happening in the US. There are multiple reasons why not. But if one is willing to think beyond one's own preconceived opinion, you'll see that producers and refiners are subject to market forces. Blaming them is just as irrational as blaming consumers for the high price.

Consumers keep buying the stuff because they, knowingly or not, consider it "worth it". You might consider that US consumers HAVE adjusted to higher prices by decreasing their total miles and buying more fuel efficient vehicles. But reduction in US consumption is being offset by global increases.

You might wonder why the US is among the largest exporters of gasoline. Could it be that domestic regulation and policy has sometimes made it more profitable to sell gasoline overseas than to sell it domestically? Maybe refiners should be less profit motivated and more "patriotic". Or maybe they should be legally compelled to do the "right thing" just so the rest of us can more cheaply enjoy the fruits of their labor.

I'd suggest you be careful about what you wish for.