Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91'Bird_NEW.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	360962  

Old 04-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In those days, the scoops were hand made, at least the one on the Banks GTA was (I used to work at Gale Banks Engineering), and I'm almost positive Dave MacDonald did the same for his Firebird before selling it to Jerry Kugel. The closest ones being made today are the VFN Sunoco full hood length cowl induction hoods.

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

Old 04-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very similar to the "sonoco" scoop -- I think VFN makes it and if you cry a little they will sell just the scoop

Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is mine - it can be trimmed to make it smaller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	285604_4049021906202_204144740_n.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	361025  

Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Curt... I've seen the sonoco scoop. Not quite what I want. Looks good on your car but I want my car to look very similar to the pic I posted.

The graphics in the pic give it a teardrop look... seems to work well with the body style.

I think I may heavily customize a Ford t-bolt scoop... stretch it, and lose the pancake top for something that follows the hood contours.(probably make a mold of my stock flat hood center) IIRC the sides of the old ford teardrop are angled very similar to the Firebirds windsheild pillars... probably end up only using front half of the ford scoop... will have to see 1st.

Vin... Thanks for the pic!
Banks car was bad-azz... too bad Chevy powered... Mine wont be. If twin turbo BBC fit so will twin turbo Pontiac power!

Thanks guys.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I talked to an old friend from Banks, who is more familiar with the car, and he told me that the Jan. 1998 issue of Hot Rod had a spread on it, so i found the link. The photo gallery has an image of the hood as it was being modified to fit over the boost plenum of the SBC twin turbo kit.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_07.html

Old 04-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool Vin... Thanks much!!!

Hood construction pics gave me some insight ... I'll blow the pics up later and get some dimensions from scale.... I can then determine which of two available t-bolt scoop sizes comes closest and mod from there.
Doing an exact copy is more work than I need and pretty sure I can get a similar look yet be unique as well.

BTW I think I have a pic with a BBC in there not the SBC in this article.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might also look at the tony ortz hood scoop for early Firebirds -- that can be trimmed to look close also

Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Good Fabricator could knock that scoop (in metal) out pretty quickly and the cost would not be outrageous.

Tom Vaught.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could end up shapin it in metal Tom... been workin with metal alot lately.(Been awhile since we've talked) But it looks like I can use the "beak" of a Thunderbolt scoop to get the start of the shape I want. Been a bit since I worked with fiberglass mat, but one way or the other I'll get it done. Findin time to do it is biggest obstacle. Have the place and equipment.

When you 1st look at the picture I posted the graphics give it a more pointed look(like the lead edge of the old T-bolt scoop) than it actually is... thus the idea is to make the actual shape instead of the illusion. After the beak the rest will resemble the pic above.

Sometimes you just have to make what you want because it just isnt available. I enjoy that stuff.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Very cool Vin... Thanks much!!!

Hood construction pics gave me some insight ... I'll blow the pics up later and get some dimensions from scale.... I can then determine which of two available t-bolt scoop sizes comes closest and mod from there.
Doing an exact copy is more work than I need and pretty sure I can get a similar look yet be unique as well.

BTW I think I have a pic with a BBC in there not the SBC in this article.
You bet! I was kind of curious, too, since I hadn't seen that car in quite some time. If I was going to go with fiberglass, I would probably build and shape the scoop the way you want it out of a wood frame work as a template for woven material (old sheets, etc.). I would stretch the textile in the shape you want, fastening it as you go along. This will serve as the initial medium for the resin (similar to how they make custom radiator shrouds, curved inner fender panels, etc.):

Grafting one part to the other might be pretty tricky since the compound curves may not lend itself too well with that Thunderbolt scoop. Personally, I suck at fiberglass, so I would end up using sheet steel and my TIG welder. Keep us posted on your scoop build...that will be a cool project.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my steel hood has hail damage and a crease in a bad spot... Likely get a flat glass hood and go with glass...

Appreciate the help Vin... Dont know how soon I'll get to it but I'll try to keep the camera handy when I do.