Old 09-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default radiator core to hood seal? 1962

I'm looking for the rubber seal that sits atop the radiator core support and seals to the hood when closed. It's found on AC cars and maybe some others. I've checked our sponsor along with Steele and Rubber the right way. Preliminary searching at Steele didn't show much, but I stumbled onto a bunch of generic seals and ones for other makes, just nothing for 62 Pontiacs. I sure would appreciate it if anyone knows where to find them.

Thanks!

Kevin

Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Call Lary @ 414 698 6851 I know he has them and maybe the fasteners to install them. Call later in the afternoon. Good luck

Old 09-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at a 62 impala. I couldn't find repopped seat chrome for my 64 but as it turns out exactly the same as an impala. Just a thought

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ornjcr8... Thanks for the heads up. called Larry and left a voice message. Hoping to hear back from him.

Willshire.. There are quite a few things that will interchange with the 62 Pontiacs and Chevy's, but unfortunately, the radiator support to hood seal isn't one of them. Pretty sure it's a Pontiac specific part.

Kevin

Old 09-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also email Todd Zimmermann (goes by tazimmy) - he is very active with parts sales. tazimmy@aol.com

Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Also email Todd Zimmermann (goes by tazimmy) - he is very active with parts sales. tazimmy@aol.com
I know Todd. In fact, I have a radiator to hood seal I got from him a few years ago used. Problem is it's beginning to deteriorate and it also was stored in such a way that the flap part of it doesn't fold down correctly when the hood is shut. I've tried "training" it so the fold works, but it seems to have a mind of it's own. I've seen plenty of these things on other cars where they are perfect and they don't have the folding problem mine has. They're out there. I will find one! Appreciate the heads up, Matt! I may contact him anyway just to see if he has a better one.

Kevin

Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Kevin,
Do you have it installed with the open side to the front. That way the air movement pushes the top against the hood. I have seen some installed backwards. The thing that really convinced me, was the notch that fits around battery hold-down bolt.
Les

Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 PM

I saw this for the first time on Sunday at the POCI show A 64 Grand Prix had one. Where they standard on 64 Catalinas?

1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Sports Coupe

Connecticut Pontiac Association

Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they were used with AC or heavy duty cooling option such as taxi and police. Not standard on all cars. I got mine a few years back fron a guy who was getting dinged by judges for having one when his car wasn't born with the right options to deserve one. So he took it off and eventually sold it to me. I was trying to get things together to eventually add a vintage air. Mine is good but not perfect but with no repro it was the only option.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
Kevin,
Do you have it installed with the open side to the front. That way the air movement pushes the top against the hood. I have seen some installed backwards. The thing that really convinced me, was the notch that fits around battery hold-down bolt.
Les
Hey Les... The flap is facing forward so while driving, air pushes it up towards the hood. Mine's getting cracks and also doesn't want to stay folded down once the hood's up. It's got cutouts for a couple bolts and the center radiator hold down, so it's pretty straightforward to install. I tried all sorts of things trying to retrain it to "hold the fold" to no avail. I usually keep it loosely taped down nowadays.

pfilean's right on... AC cars and heavy duty. Just one of a few tricks to keep the car running as cool as possible. They're nice to have.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Got my 61 piece from Indiana Pontiacs. Very nice piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Army of Hope 3-3-13 (2).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	377690  

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
Got my 61 piece from Indiana Pontiacs. Very nice piece.
Yep. Very nice piece! The flap sits just right.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
Hey Les... The flap is facing forward so while driving, air pushes it up towards the hood. Mine's getting cracks and also doesn't want to stay folded down once the hood's up. It's got cutouts for a couple bolts and the center radiator hold down, so it's pretty straightforward to install. I tried all sorts of things trying to retrain it to "hold the fold" to no avail. I usually keep it loosely taped down nowadays.
It must have been stored flat with weight on it. Mine lays just right also, but doesn't look quite as nice as lilabner's.

At least it didn't get torn up in the wreck last week, like the A/C box did.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM

It looked pretty nasty when I got it, but he sent all the fasteners too. I cleaned it real good and laid it in the sunny South Fla sun for a couple days.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
It must have been stored flat with weight on it. Mine lays just right also, but doesn't look quite as nice as lilabner's.

At least it didn't get torn up in the wreck last week, like the A/C box did.
Wow, Les. Just saw your thread about the crash. That's terrible! Hope you're ok and that everything goes well getting your car back on the road. I had a guy pull a left turn in front of me once while I was on a motorcycle. Learned to fly that day. lol. That was definitely an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. Best to you and again... hope all goes well with fixing your car. you have a VERY sweet ride!

Kevin