THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Garage space heater suggestions please

I'm relegated to a one car garage, partially attached to the house. The Only way In-N-Out is the garage door. Very sad considering I came from a beautiful two car garage that was heated with plumbing. (And I used to think that was small! ) But I digress.

I'm thinking about getting some sort of a space heater for the garage, just to take the edge off so that I can actually work in the garage and be somewhat comfortable.

So I'm looking for recommendations on a small, quick acting, SAFE unit. Probably has to be 110 electric because I don't have 220 in the garage and I don't have gas. I suppose I can do propane but I don't really want to start with that, I don't even have the space for the extra tanks, unless there are small units worth looking into.

Suggestions?

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The biggest 120vac electric heater you can plug into a regular wall outlet is going to put out 1500 watts (or about 5100 btu.) Watts are watts, any of them are going to put out the same amount of heat, so don't spend extra money for fancy cabinets or other features. A plain old milk house heater will work as well as anything.

Here's one from Ace hardware, but most any hardware store or big box sells the same thing: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...889956.4392329

Old 11-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks. I have a dedicated 20 amp line, so I guess I can go up in size if I find one - hmm, after looking around it seems that 1500 watts is the biggest they sell for 110v. I wonder how well they'll work. Could be a lost cause. Maybe kerosene?

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use a salamander type heater most of the time. Kerosene powered, leaves a smell that you might not want being attached to the house.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the walls finished or bare stud? I would try to insulate first. A few well placed heat lamps may work as well. Heating the whole garage on 110V? Not going to happen.
A small mobile home furnace may work if you can have the tank outside. How high are your ceilings?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The garage is 11x23 with 9.5' ceilings. It's a 60 year old house and the walls are finished with plaster, not sheetrock (ceilings too). I can't insulate it.

So if I step up to something other than electric, what fuel is safe for indoor use? kerosene? propane?

Like one of these?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/compare/?...erosene+heater

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought a 1500w one and they are throw away cost..... 40 -70 bucks, shocked me. Only thing I could deduce as different is some have a radiant style deal in addition to fan that may help a little.... I have a small shop 12 x 14 appx that is well insulated, but has a loft area so more area height wise. I am doing same as you, take edge off is all I need. Just bought it so no report yet on if works. I don't have high hopes, but in Montana, if I can get it 50 degrees. Looks like next step up if this toy unit does not work out is the bigger oil filled, but they are radiant and I guess take longer to heat up space but they look more serious and cost more.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found this article helpful.
I
http://m.moneypit.com/article/garage...g#.VHoM9yUo7qA

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Put a propane tank outside and run a radiant "no-vent" heater in the garage, takes up no room, but will be more than you are looking at with electric.

I am fighting with a similar problem right now, I have a brand new in the crate 350,000 BTU waste oil heater sitting in my shop, but I am just not sure I want the hassle of buying waste oil and a storage tank.

I do have access to a gas meter at the back of the shop and I am really considering just putting the no vent radiant heat in as I don't want to cut a hole in my building for a vent.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a fan of unvented combustion heaters - besides carbon monoxide, they also pump a lot of moisture into the air inside the garage. You can crack the door open to get fresh air, but that kind of defeats the purpose of keeping the garage warm.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have an unvented gas heater in my garage......I use it to take the chill out, then use the low setting to maintain.

You do need to get fresh air once in a while, and need to be careful. I haven't had any problems used as above.

George

Old 11-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.homedepot.com/s/propane%2520heater?NCNI-5 check ut the 59.00 dyna glow,my buddys garage is uninsulated air leaks everywhere and this thing does a great job.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that's what that article said too about moisture. I had that in my last garage - two gas powered 70,000 BTU ventless unitls. They warmed up my garage FAST. Which was my goal - to warm up a cold garage quickly to be able to tinker for an hour or two after dinner. Once heated up, I barely had to run one, and never ran both (we were seating too much! LOL)

I'm thinking I should go electric and wire up 220 but I'm not sure I have the capacity in my panel for that. It's a 150amp old house.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/s/propane%2520heater?NCNI-5 check ut the 59.00 dyna glow,my buddys garage is uninsulated air leaks everywhere and this thing does a great job.
I see that one here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/compare/?...propane+heater

Only it says that model is for outdoor use, but the big brother version is for indoor/outdoor use.

maybe the moisture thing is not that big of a deal since I'm not using it all the time any means. Just warming up the garage to mess around a bit over the winter.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try and keep any open flame type off the ground at least 2ft.Fumes from the cars tank,mowers etc..can ignite.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Yes, that's what that article said too about moisture. I had that in my last garage - two gas powered 70,000 BTU ventless unitls. They warmed up my garage FAST. Which was my goal - to warm up a cold garage quickly to be able to tinker for an hour or two after dinner. Once heated up, I barely had to run one, and never ran both (we were seating too much! LOL)

I'm thinking I should go electric and wire up 220 but I'm not sure I have the capacity in my panel for that. It's a 150amp old house.
As long as there is room in you panel box for a double pole breaker that 150 amp main should be sufficient.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
Try and keep any open flame type off the ground at least 2ft.Fumes from the cars tank,mowers etc..can ignite.
GOOD POINT! thanks

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Default garage heat

I use my dura-heat and KERO-KLEAN kerosene treatment from lowes. does a good job.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

I use this heater in my garage▼▼. Works great. And since my circuit breaker panel is also in my garage, installation was a piece of cake. The unit comes with a built in thermostat, but I wanted something I could easily reach and adjust, so I disabled the built in thermostat and wired in a line voltage thermostat and mounted it right on the wall of my garage.

http://www.newair.com/products/G73/

Last edited by tekheavy; 11-29-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a 150,000 BTU salamander type propane heater in our garage(24' X 24')in IN. It will burn 40lbs of propane over a couple of days IF it's not extremely cold (10-0 degrees F). I keep a CO detector on the workbench.

Dr. Thomas Sowell