Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Faulty Comp HR Lifter ??

Guys, I have a question about my lifters in my 455. I had engine rebuilt 2 years ago and everything was good(other than my poor cam choice) and no ticking of the lifters. Middle of last summer, I noticed that although it never tick at cold start up, if I got it good and warm and shut it off to go into a store, when I started it back up, one of the lifters would tick. It would tick for 30 seconds or so and then go away. It didn`t happen every time, so I just ignored it. Later in the summer, I took a 150 mile drive and stopped to fill up at a gas station. When I started it up it went to ticking, but this time it didn`t stop and I drove it home and let it sit for a couple hours and started it back up and NO ticking. I don`t know what`s going on now.Now I`m afraid to take her on longer drives. Car doesn`t run hot, around 185-190, so thats not a problem, correct ? Should I be thinking about getting those lifters out of there ? I can`t figure out why it only ticks sometimes and only after warmed up. Pretty sure its`s only one of them. Any help is very much appreciated as I`m no mechanic and don`t know squat about this stuff but I loves me my Pontiac !! Thanks,Mark

Old 12-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Comp had issues with the HR lifters from a older vendor.The newer lifters had a S after the number.Have had no issues and have not heard of any issues with the new supplier.Tom

Old 12-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Loosen up all your rockers and then push on each push-rod to see if one of them (the lifter cup) is really loose. That will then be the one that probably causing the issue. The new 857-16S are suppose to be really good.

Charles

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Fwiw. I had a similar issue on my GP. I installed new comp hr cam and lifters back in March. By August it had 3 lifters rattling on start and would occasionally quiet down after driving. Start up would cause them to rattle again. I pulled the entire set and sent to Comp for warranty. They supplied a new set of the -s lifters and it was quiet for a month. I now have a lifter rattling on start up after a drive with the engine warm. I have double checked the lash and everything is ok.
If I have to pull them again I will order new push rods and a set from a different vendor as I am not convinced their new design resolves the issue.
Funny thing is I have a set in my GTO that are 8 years old and they are still nice and quiet.

Good luck with the issue.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WAG..... but one of them may have a problem with a seat in the lifter. You may only be able to find it while its ticking. When it is, get the valve cover off, fire it up and use you hand and a rag to put pressure on each rocker, you will know which one it is. You may even get it apart and find a problem with the lifter.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmymistress View Post
Fwiw. I had a similar issue on my GP. I installed new comp hr cam and lifters back in March. By August it had 3 lifters rattling on start and would occasionally quiet down after driving. Start up would cause them to rattle again. I pulled the entire set and sent to Comp for warranty. They supplied a new set of the -s lifters and it was quiet for a month. I now have a lifter rattling on start up after a drive with the engine warm. I have double checked the lash and everything is ok.
If I have to pull them again I will order new push rods and a set from a different vendor as I am not convinced their new design resolves the issue.
Funny thing is I have a set in my GTO that are 8 years old and they are still nice and quiet.

Good luck with the issue.
Same issue and same time frame.I'm going to try crowers now..