Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Heater resister - 62 GP

Hey guys,

My heater core went out on me last fall, so I'm working on getting it fixed now before driving season heats up. I decided to do a refurb on the entire heater box and noticed that it appears one of the connecters on the resister thingy is broken off, or is it?

I never noticed any issues aside from the core going bad, so maybe this is just the way the resister was made. Hoping one of you can ease my mind and tell me that's the case.
It just "looks" like there was a tab where one isn't now. So are there four connecters or are there five and one of mine are broken off? I'm leaning towards the four,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3015.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	393435  

Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is that A/C or non A/C?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Les,

Non AC. I think everything's fine. I just panicked when I saw the missing tab, but I think it's supposed to be that way.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought your car had AC, and that looks waaaay different than mine. That's why I asked.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
I thought your car had AC, and that looks waaaay different than mine. That's why I asked.
Trust me... There are times I wish I had AC.

I checked the connecter in the car. No broken off tab, so I feel confident the resister is fine. No problems with it before the heater core went out either.

When you say it looks way different, is that because you DO have AC? How you coming along getting your car back on the road? Hope things are rolling along.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just plug in and see if you have all fan speeds. If they all work and at the speeds that seem normal, you are good to go. If very rusty or corroded, it is only a matter of time before you are down to having only one or 2 speeds. Easy fix.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Just plug in and see if you have all fan speeds. If they all work and at the speeds that seem normal, you are good to go. If very rusty or corroded, it is only a matter of time before you are down to having only one or 2 speeds. Easy fix.

Bruce,

That's probably just what I'll do. As for condition, I think it's in pretty good shape. Had some dust and surface grunge, but it cleaned right off. I also dug out an HVAC manual I had thanks to Matt's recommendation and found a pic of the resister in there that appears to confirm there are four contacts. Now, it's just a matter of getting the assembly cleaned up and painted so it'll be ready when the heater core arrives.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
When you say it looks way different, is that because you DO have AC? How you coming along getting your car back on the road? Hope things are rolling along.
Yes, I do have A/C. My resistor board has 7 connectors in the plug, plus one separate one for the fan motor.

I have the car back home from the body shop. I took it in for a front end alignment, and was told the lower ball joints were worn out. Also he wouldn't do the alignment while the paint on the fenders was so fresh. So, I now have new Moog lower ball joints to put in. Will probably do that later this week, so I can get it aligned.

Right now I'm in the middle of building a 4-post lift, so that is taking a while. My grandson is here to help be build that and help with the heavy lifting. Got stalled Saturday morning when I discovered I was missing an 18 mm nut. No place to get one on the weekend. Will be at Tacoma Screw Monday morning to get one and continue that project. Big job!!

Les

Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
Yes, I do have A/C. My resistor board has 7 connectors in the plug, plus one separate one for the fan motor.

I have the car back home from the body shop. I took it in for a front end alignment, and was told the lower ball joints were worn out. Also he wouldn't do the alignment while the paint on the fenders was so fresh. So, I now have new Moog lower ball joints to put in. Will probably do that later this week, so I can get it aligned.

Right now I'm in the middle of building a 4-post lift, so that is taking a while. My grandson is here to help be build that and help with the heavy lifting. Got stalled Saturday morning when I discovered I was missing an 18 mm nut. No place to get one on the weekend. Will be at Tacoma Screw Monday morning to get one and continue that project. Big job!!

Les
Sounds like you're making good progress, Les. That lift should be a big help too, once you get it going. I'm sure it'll make swapping the ball joints easier.

I just ran into another problem working on the heater. Was out cleaning under the hood and discovered the flexible hose connecting the blower motor to the heater core shroud is toast. I'm not sure where to start on this. Not sure if one is repro'd or if a trip to the junkyard is in order. Could be time to post in the WTB section too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3020.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	393465  

Old 03-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One listed on ebay looks just like yours.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
One listed on ebay looks just like yours.
Seriously? I spent around 4 hours there last night looking. What did you use to search?
I don't spose you have a link by chance?

I did grab some 4" hose that was for a Caddy that was close. It was round though. figured I could probably make the bends to make it into a "D" shape, but I'd be interested in seeing what you found for sure. I haven't been able to find it so far.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Seriously? I spent around 4 hours there last night looking. What did you use to search?

I don't spose you have a link by chance?
That would help.

Quote:
I did grab some 4" hose that was for a Caddy that was close. It was round though. figured I could probably make the bends to make it into a "D" shape, but I'd be interested in seeing what you found for sure. I haven't been able to find it so far.
If you strike out, email me. I may have a spare.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well... I may have a winner. I stumbled across an auction for a 61 blower motor duct from Todd Zimmerman. Lol... I should have known. Todd's had some of the tougher to find parts I was looking for in the past. It's for a 61, but should also fit a 62. The nice part is it's a rubber fitting instead of the fabric and metal hose, so it should be much better as long as it fits.

Thanks for the offer Matt. Let's see how this pans out. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't see how to transfer a link but it's item 161647523321.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161647523321

Remember there were two different types of heaters back then - the Direct-Aire and Circle-Aire. I don't know offhand if they used the same resistor packs or not, but I know the rest of the heaters were pretty much different. If you have the HVAC shop manual, take a look to see if you can see any differences.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161647523321

Remember there were two different types of heaters back then - the Direct-Aire and Circle-Aire. I don't know offhand if they used the same resistor packs or not, but I know the rest of the heaters were pretty much different. If you have the HVAC shop manual, take a look to see if you can see any differences.
Stuart,

Yep! That's the one that's in my car. after remembering that I have an HVAC manual, I realized everything was ok. I'm of the Circle-Aire variety. the resister is in pretty decent shape too after cleaning the dust and smunge off. Should last quite a while more now that it's clean. Hope I didn't just jinx myself saying that!

Kevin