THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Possible Relo - best cities to live around.

I may be looking for a new job which may require a relocation. Want to stay in/near the Midwest but will likely have to be in a major city. I would prefer cities that offer a good quality of life, affordable, clean, easier winters (currently live in S. WI), good car following, etc. The metro areas I may have available include Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indy, St. Louis, Louisville, and KC. Minneapolis winters are a turn off to me but it seems like a nice area otherwise. Likewise, I like some areas around Chicago but the expense and congestion don't appeal much to me. But, I am open at this point.

Would love to hear members experiences, opinions, pluses/ minuses of any of these areas.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear Omaha, NB is a good place to live. They don't get as much snow as north and south of there. A friend that moved to Ravenna has been there, and loves Omaha and the rest of Nebraska that they've seen. Says there's lots of car shows from Omaha on out west of the city. He goes to Lincoln a lot for shows and says that's a pretty good city to live in from what he's seen. His MIL was recently in the hospital in Omaha and got great care.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've lived in Milwaukee, Indy and Louisville. Of the three, my vote would be for Louisville. Louisville has a reasonable cost of living, GREAT medical care and a fairly temperate climate. Additionally, S.Central Indiana (where I grew up) has many small communities that haven't changed a great deal in the last 30 years. All of these are an easy drive to Louisville. Chicago is expensive and congested. St. Louis has MAJOR crime and racial problems. BTW....what part of S. Wisconsin? We lived in Racine Co. for a few years

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've always enjoyed the Indy area. Louisville would also be a good choice.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks so far guys. Omaha sounds like one to consider as well but I would have to see what jobs are there in my field.

I live around the Madison, WI area right now.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Minneapolis is a good city if you don't mind the weather.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 PM

Minneapolis weather is not as bad as most think it is. I don't think it's much worse than Madison. Spent first 38 years of my life an hour north of Minneapolis. Awesome fishing and hunting right out my back door. That's something you can't put a price on.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:00 PM

Another Louisville vote. I have lived in 11 different cities in my career. I would move back to Louisville in a minute. The city is beautiful as are the women. Great roads to cruise in your car, nice cost of living, weather allows for more months of outside and car enjoyment and you are close to Indy, Cinci and Nashville if you want to get away for the weekend.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

your career skills again?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After living in a State with no sales tax, it would be hard for me to move to any of the ones that do have sales tax. And New Hampshire is out only because of the winters.... it's just too cold up there.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Minneapolis weather is not as bad as most think it is. I don't think it's much worse than Madison. Spent first 38 years of my life an hour north of Minneapolis. Awesome fishing and hunting right out my back door. That's something you can't put a price on.
Do they still have the one section of brick street in Oxford?

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Minneapolis is a good city if you don't mind the weather.
Yes, between the 1000" annual snowfall, -40 below averages, and Yeti massacres, it's only a place for the toughest of humans. Please stay away!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmymistress View Post
Another Louisville vote. I have lived in 11 different cities in my career. I would move back to Louisville in a minute. The city is beautiful as are the women. Great roads to cruise in your car, nice cost of living, weather allows for more months of outside and car enjoyment and you are close to Indy, Cinci and Nashville if you want to get away for the weekend.
We BOTH left out the bourbon.........

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-30-2015, 01:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i lived in Oklahoma, i think Missouri would have the same weather WHICH I HATED. too hot and the humidity is horrid even in winter. oh yeah. tornados. i go with KY also.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know how big a metro area you need to live in/near, but Rochester, MN could be a very viable option with weather somewhere in between Minneapolis and Madison.

Our daughter lives in Madison and I have other family that lives in the Twin Cities so am very familiar with all three communities (I live 25 miles SW of Rochester).

Living in the rural Rochester area is much less expensive than either Madison of the TC's. Obviously medical care is the bomb (Mayo Clinic). Because of the Mayo Clinic - it has a very stable economy. With the Destination Medical Center now a reality, this area is going to boom - if you don't know about the DMC - google it.

Rochester, like Madison, is frequently near the top of the list for best places to live. Property taxes will be a fraction of what they are in the Madison area - my daughter is always reminding me of how my taxes are less than her's are - despite the different values of our homes.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
i lived in Oklahoma, i think Missouri would have the same weather WHICH I HATED. too hot and the humidity is horrid even in winter. oh yeah. tornados. i go with KY also.
As a Louisville area native, it gets pretty dang humid there, especially in August. Tornadoes are a fact of live as well.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Of your choices, I'd also vote for Louisville. Decent sized city, but with country areas close by. Winters are probably the mildest of those you listed. Plenty of outdoor activities and lakes close by. But there is a downside, you have to put up with those annoying UK basketball fans.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would help to know what you do for a living.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
Of your choices, I'd also vote for Louisville. Decent sized city, but with country areas close by. Winters are probably the mildest of those you listed. Plenty of outdoor activities and lakes close by. But there is a downside, you have to put up with those annoying UK basketball fans.
Hopefully my Badgers will quite them up on Saturday....LOL

Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It would help to know what you do for a living.
Health care industry.