Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Replacing AC hoses...

My '73 Grand Safari has AC, but the compressor front seal just went out this weekend and now I've got to evacuate and replace things. I've got the tools to evacuate it and charge and test it so I plan on doing it myself. The hoses on it look ok, but I hear tell about replacing all of the old 40 year old hoses with new barrier hoses. Are worm clamps acceptable or should I invest in the crimping tool and get new fittings like the factory did it? Anyone have any particular vendor they like to get their hose from? Being a big car there's zero off the shelf reproduction parts out there for it besides the A\F-body compatible stuff like the VIR and compressor.

And before anyone says "get a good shop to do it" let's just say that no shops in the area are willing to touch it, "it's too old" and I'd rather just learn to do it myself rather than throw $1500 at a shop to screw it up.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the hose, new crimp ferrules on the 'net and the crimping tool also. Used the existing metal ends.

The tool was not cheap, but i figured as you did, that I would use it multiple times.

George

Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 AM
Suspended

Ben you should have at least 1 shop there that has the tools to make new hoses for you. Most all NAPA parts stores can put the ends on the hoses for you & they carry the ends too. Any GOOD parts store has the ability to make new hoses for you. I'd check around before you go out & spend a lot of money on tools you may only use once or twice on a few hoses.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
I bought the hose, new crimp ferrules on the 'net and the crimping tool also. Used the existing metal ends.
Any particular place you used to get them from? I've got an extra set of hoses for the same car, so I have something to practice on or at least make a spare! Local parts stores are pretty lame around here, no clue what I'm asking about.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While you have it apart I would get rid of the VIR system and convert it to an accumulator set up. It's not as expensive as you would think, plus no moving parts except the compressor. Not including the hose situation, you're talking about an additional $130.00 give or take.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are there any benefits to getting rid of the VIR? Does it actually work and cool just as well? Listening to the people here talk in the archives you'd think getting rid of the VIR is almost as much of a cardinal sin as converting to R134a.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I cut and assembled the hoses and then took them down to our local hose mart to have them crimped. I just used a paint marking stick to draw a line on the fitting and hose to insure that if the hose rotated on the fitting we would see it and get things re-aligned before permanently crimping it.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2X what lust4speed said.
The metal fittings are reusable.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
This is what I ended up doing. The '73-76 B-body with VIR assembly hoses are not easily removed for crimping and no shop would do it. I ended up crimping the manifold assembly, installing it on the compressor, then crimping the rest of the fittings on the car. Took less than an hour all told and the car is still holding vacuum after being pumped down overnight.

Once I verify that the system holds well, I'll be filling it with R12 and verifying that it cools.

The tool was only $175, and considering it will work on any other vintage car and is a quality made one, no reason not to learn the skill and do the work myself. Especially considering how few shops around these days are willing to work on an older system.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Looks good & if it held over night your good to go. Install it & let us know how it works.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still holding 27inHg after 30 hours, so it should be good to go! Going to fill it later this week.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

45F out the vents tonight with 4.25lbs of freon installed. Still need to replace the clutch fan as it isn't moving too much air and seal up the evaporator fittings on the box itself with the sticky tape. Pretty satisfied so far, pressure readings were spot on for R12 (35 low and 180 high with ambient of 75F outside).

Old 09-16-2015, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did you purchase the R12.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shop was going out of business and I purchased what was left.