THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Any LS2 guys on here that could lend me some info?

Long story short, I bought a rolled 06 TBSS AWD, has 90,000 miles on it, engine starts right up and sounds great, tranny does go in and out of gear, (cant move it as front tire is pushed back against firewall).

My plan is to put this motor into a street rod type vehicle, so I have no oil pan or header chassis constraints, my questions are,

I understand there is a problem with the factory oil pan and pickup, just looking for a good aftermarket pan that will hold maybe an extra quart of oil, and would probably like to have the filter mount as part of the pan rather than run lines for a remote setup, suggestions?

Since the motor is high mileage AND could of had starvation problems from the stock pan/pickup, I will be replacing the rods and mains, or at least opening it up to check them, suggestions?

I would like to ditch the ugly TBSS manifold for something more appealing style wise, but don't want to have to change all of the front ass. over to the car style, and I want to retain the stock 87mm TB, suggestions?

I am also keeping the 4l70E and having it gone thru as I need to have the output shaft changed out to the C5 configuration anyway as it is going directly into a C5 diff/rear suspension.

I will need a stand alone harness and controller for engine/trans, suggestions?

I do understand that I could post this on an LS board, just thought I would try the guys I know here first.

Thanks Stan

Old 03-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Suspended

IIRC PYAmes Moderator B-Man & Brakeman Retro Kit guy Scarebird are hands-on LS transplant experienced.

You may want to post same Q here http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...play.php?f=423 and Looky Loo some of those LS threads

Hope this helps

Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stan, MAST offers an excellent oil pan for our cars for this application, Holley also offers one. SPEARTECH is who you want for your stand alone harness, they can re-work the original engine harness to save you a bunch or build you a new one, they will re-flash your computer or they will provide one of theirs. I have had excellent results with the fore mentioned vendors.

Tim john---

Old 03-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post
Stan, MAST offers an excellent oil pan for our cars for this application, Holley also offers one. SPEARTECH is who you want for your stand alone harness, they can re-work the original engine harness to save you a bunch or build you a new one, they will re-flash your computer or they will provide one of theirs. I have had excellent results with the fore mentioned vendors.

Tim john---

Thank You Tim john,

That is the kind of info I am looking for, appreciate it, trying to read up as much as I can, but I will be honest, I am not familiar with these motors, as I haven't touched the LS3 in my GXP.

I am looking at the FAST LSxRT 102 truck intake, it looks like it is a bolt on and I don't have to move the accessories to put it on, not sure if I could use the TBSS 87mm tb on that or if I would have to buy a new tb?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use a stock GM oil pan. I used a 98-02 F-body pan on mine and it fits really well into a 2nd gen sub frame, so I'm sure it would fit pretty well in a street rod. You can get them directly from GM still, and they're much cheaper than an aftermarket pan.

I wouldn't consider 90k high miles at all. Unless you know there was an oil starvation issue, I wouldn't bother changing the bearings. You could check them, and replace the rod bolts with ARP stuff, but I wouldn't worry about them unless you know for sure or its knocking.

As for the harness there's multiple ways you can go. There are a few good companies that can take your stock harness and rewire it for a standalone setup, which is usually cheaper than buying a new harness. I've rewired two LS harness' myself now, and its actually really easy. Theres a few good sites that give wiring diagrams, and some even label what wires you keep and what you cut out. You simply remove what you don't need, add a fuse box, and add an OBD2 port. When its all set and done its something like 4 wires that need to be hooked up for the engine to run.

I like to run the stock GM harness on my setups just because I know it was designed for what I'm using. One downside to a stock harness is that from the factory the wiring is rather "messy". What I mean is the wiring is run across the engine, and its very exposed and in your face. If you're good with a soldering iron you can extend and shrink wires and route them in places you wont see them. I did this with my setups, and you couldn't tell its a stock GM harness. If anything it looks like a $800 custom harness. I think I have less than $20 in my standalone harness.

I think for your intake situation you'll need an LS2 Corvette intake with fuel rails. It'll bolt right on the engine without issue, but you'll need to change the water pump to an 07 TBSS pump or else the throttle body will hit the water pump pulley (just make sure this is correct, I think it is but I haven't built a LS with TBSS front accessories)

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would imagine the oil pan requirements depend on what kind of car you're going to put it in - whether you need a front sump, rear sump or whatever.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I would imagine the oil pan requirements depend on what kind of car you're going to put it in - whether you need a front sump, rear sump or whatever.

Bottom of frame rails in this app. are wide open, so I can go either way, but the stock TBSS pan is known to have issues with starvation under hard acceleration and less than full oil level, in fact I understand that some/most run overfull a quart?

Also pan is one ugly piece with hole through the middle for front AWD shaft. To complicate issues I think in this app, (extremely lightweight and rear weight bias) pulling the front wheels may be a possibility, so I don't want to take a chance on a stock pan without some form of oil control.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Basically, I will be putting this drivetrain, in this truck, FULLY in the length of the bed, just picked up a complete end to end C5 rear suspension and diff yesterday, so I have all of the major pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th1LIYAV87.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	423102   Click image for larger version

Name:	th854JUVLQ.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	423103  

Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Suspended

http://www.carsandparts.com/en/tech/...amaro-z28.html

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Thanks for the Link Alvin, although I think this will require a custom harness (as the whole motor and trans will be BEHIND the cab) there is a LOT of good info in there for the parts I am using.

Thx again,

Stan