Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 Firebird wiper motors?

I am in the process of pinning down the wiper issue on the car, they haven't worked since day one of owning the car. What I have found out so far is that in 1970 there was the hidden and non hidden wiper option, my car was built with the hidden wiper option (according to the phs on the car.) What else I have stumbled upon was a 1st design and a second design of wiper motors. This is something I haven't been able to find any info about with my internet searching.
Does anyone here know anything about these 1st and 2nd wiper motor designs?
Thank you.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on some of what you typed, I'm not certain, that we're on the same page;
Recessed wipers (which you call hidden) used a totally different motor, and only came standard on the Trans Am & Esprit models;
The base and Formula came with non-recessed wipers, but could have had it added.
I believe it stayed this way for the whole second gen run.

I have never heard of a first design, and secobd design motor - is it possible that you are mistaking the recessed and non-recessed motors as first & second design?

You may want to look at this thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=621360

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvisme View Post
I am in the process of pinning down the wiper issue on the car, they haven't worked since day one of owning the car. What I have found out so far is that in 1970 there was the hidden and non hidden wiper option, my car was built with the hidden wiper option (according to the phs on the car.) What else I have stumbled upon was a 1st design and a second design of wiper motors. This is something I haven't been able to find any info about with my internet searching.
Does anyone here know anything about these 1st and 2nd wiper motor designs?
Thank you.

Are you talking about about the motor that jets out towards the front of the car, and just you regular looking common motor?

Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

The common motor. I went to the parts house the other day and had them order in both types for a 70 firebird. I should have taken pictures of them to show their differences here.
My Formula has the proper "recessed wiper motor" type and after trouble shooting the issue I found that the connector at the switch wasn't making proper connection.