Old 03-26-2016, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Default 1965 GTO Exhaust

So I have a 1965 GTO hardtop and the exhaust has seen better days. Does anyone have any recommendations. I need new from the manifolds back. I don't want a "X" pipe or "H" pipe, I want it to look as stock as possible. I would like to add the splitters tips at the same time. Is it true to add the splitters it uses the same tail pipe, just cut back to where the splitter would go. I guess I need all the correct brackets and hangers as well. The only change I would like to make is since this is a 4 barrel car it has the dull 067 cam, so if the muffler was designed to be just a little louder that would be nice. Right now with full size mufflers it is very quiet, not like a muscle car should sound.

Last edited by John62; 03-26-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:50 PM

Pretty sure Waldron offers some optional louder mufflers that look original to go with their factory correct systems.

Your 4-barrel GTO 389 was factory equipped with the slightly less-dull 067 cam, not the 066. The 009 cam used in all '64 GTO 389 engines both 4-barrel and Tri-Power used the same profile as the 067.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Pretty sure Waldron offers some optional louder mufflers that look original to go with their factory correct systems.

Your 4-barrel GTO 389 was factory equipped with the slightly less-dull 067 cam, not the 066.
Thanks, you beat me to it. I just remembered it is the 067.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:50 AM

Default Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
So I have a 1965 GTO hardtop and the exhaust has seen better days. Does anyone have any recommendations. I need new from the manifolds back. I don't want a "X" pipe or "H" pipe, I want it to look as stock as possible. I would like to add the splitters tips at the same time. Is it true to add the splitters it uses the same tail pipe, just cut back to where the splitter would go. I guess I need all the correct brackets and hangers as well. The only change I would like to make is since this is a 4 barrel car it has the dull 067 cam, so if the muffler was designed to be just a little louder that would be nice. Right now with full size mufflers it is very quiet, not like a muscle car should sound.
I bought a complete exhaust for my '65 including all brackets and hangers from Gardner Exhaust in New York. Very nice, but very expensive.

It's a true exact-fit, bolt-on deal. A good buddy of mine (expert mechanic and exhaust guy) said the thing was a work of art in terms of fitment.

http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/1965-g...st-system.html

Last edited by propuckstopper; 03-27-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 AM

Waldron offers 3 different mufflers with their GTO systems. Standard (OEM type) sound muffler, a Mild Impostor muffler (middle of the road sound) and an Impostor Performance muffler (better flow, aggressive sound).

Might not be quite as perfect or as correct as a Gardner system but they're priced a bit more reasonably, plus you can get the more aggressive sound you want.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Other than what B-man said here's one more option for an aggressive but manageable sound. Cherry Bomb mufflers.

I have them and 2-1/2" pipes on my 66 GTO, but with the stock exhaust manifolds. Many have said they love the sound. And from a street rodder saying it, it's a great complement. Especially going downhill and you back off on the gas. It sounds the way a muscle car should. But then again my GTO's 68 400 engine is modified a bit.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gardner also offers a louder muffler that is stock in appearance. There systems also are aluminum coated.

your 4v car will not have the resonators as were on the tri cars. if the question comes up

Old 03-28-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
Gardner also offers a louder muffler that is stock in appearance. There systems also are aluminum coated.

your 4v car will not have the resonators as were on the tri cars. if the question comes up
You are absolutely correct on the Gardner availability of a louder muffler. I opted to go with the "stock" ones as my pipes have the resonators. It sounds very nice.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Suspended

Waldron, Gardner and inline tube I found also has a kit. Gardner's website does not have prices that I could see, I heard they are near $1,000? It looks like I need a set of $95 brackets just to hang the splitters, that's crazy. I need to call them all and find out if the tail pipes are the same, just cut back for the splitters. I like the idea of the mild imposter of the Waldron, looking for just a little more than stock, not much. Gardner also offers a slightly louder with the splitters in a kit. I will lean to who ever may have a muffler that is stock size, so it looks correct. Inline does not show a louder option, I will need to check. Thanks for the info guys, I will make some calls tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 PM

John62-
When I purchased my '64, the previous owner had a Gardner system installed with Flowmaster 40's. Stock manifolds and no crossover. It sounds great! Don't know what the cost was though-
JohnS

Old 03-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Senior Chief

Default exhaust system

http://daoldschoolautomotive.com/gto

I used D & A Old School Exhaust on my 64. I was very pleased with the quality, shipping and customer service. The prices are reasonable too.

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 03-28-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Waldron, Gardner and inline tube I found also has a kit. Gardner's website does not have prices that I could see, I heard they are near $1,000? It looks like I need a set of $95 brackets just to hang the splitters, that's crazy. I need to call them all and find out if the tail pipes are the same, just cut back for the splitters. I like the idea of the mild imposter of the Waldron, looking for just a little more than stock, not much. Gardner also offers a slightly louder with the splitters in a kit. I will lean to who ever may have a muffler that is stock size, so it looks correct. Inline does not show a louder option, I will need to check. Thanks for the info guys, I will make some calls tomorrow.
I think you will find that Gardner is more than $1000.00. I can't remember what I paid for my complete system, but it seems like it was closer to $1500.00.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 PM
Suspended

So I made a few calls today. The Gardner system sounds like a very nice system. They will cut the tail pipes in the correct spot, open up the splitters a bit if needed to fit over the end of the pipe and even include the bolts to the exhaust manifold. Mufflers are same full size only a bit louder so still look stock, I like hearing that. They say they have the correct splitter support bracket, they say the one in the ames catalog with adjustable holes is not correct. Complete system, including clamps, brackets, splitters and connection paste for $1135 plus shipping so not bad. Then talked to Waldron, nice lady got a bit confusing. She said my car [4v manual trans] got a 2.25in system all the way back. I explained all GTO's got a optional splitter that was 2.00in. She also has a full size muffler that is the bit louder so good there. She said the auto or 326 cars got the 2.25in head pipe and the 2.00in tail pipe. My GTO restoration guide says 4v manuals got resonator tail pipes. I thought only 3x2 cars got the resonator. Getting confused. I should have a 2.25in head pipe, a muffler with 2.25in inlet and 2.00in outlet, and a 2.00in tail pipe without a resonator, right? A little of topic but the Waldron picture is of a 69 system and I asked about it showing two different size mufflers, thinking it was their louder version, she said no, that car came with two different size mufflers?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, I say the restoration guide is correct. 4bbl cars got resonators. Tho I'm not sure about the tri power cars.

Like it's been said... Just when you think you know what was correct, someone will have an original that will blow correctness down the drain and change the rules.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
John, I say the restoration guide is correct. 4bbl cars got resonators. Tho I'm not sure about the tri power cars.

Like it's been said... Just when you think you know what was correct, someone will have an original that will blow correctness down the drain and change the rules.
I believe the opposite is true. Four barrel cars did not get resonators, while Tri-Power/stick shift cars did.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I should have a 2.25in head pipe, a muffler with 2.25in inlet and 2.00in outlet, and a 2.00in tail pipe without a resonator, right?
Correct.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
So I made a few calls today. The Gardner system sounds like a very nice system. They will cut the tail pipes in the correct spot, open up the splitters a bit if needed to fit over the end of the pipe and even include the bolts to the exhaust manifold. Mufflers are same full size only a bit louder so still look stock, I like hearing that. They say they have the correct splitter support bracket, they say the one in the ames catalog with adjustable holes is not correct. Complete system, including clamps, brackets, splitters and connection paste for $1135 plus shipping so not bad.
From my experience with Gardner, I can only say this. If you are comfortable with spending $1135 on an exhaust system, by all means go the Gardner route. I did exactly that two years ago and couldn't be happier with the system and their service.

It certainly is not the cheapest route to go, but it is certainly a hassle free and high quality way to go.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We bought the OEM style reproduction exhaust from Ames and it fit pretty well and sounds very nice. This is a completely stock tripower car. It sounds great while driving, very "normal" until you get into it a bit. It isn't bad to hear the engine a little more than just the exhaust. This system does not have resonators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZthrBS8e0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9_W8_uFP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnem_POWcVA

Last edited by Rich-Tripower; 03-30-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Gardner Exhaust!

I did alot of research regarding 1965 GTO exhaust because I wanted something as close to OEM style for my low mileage car.

After talking a couple of times with the Owner (Eric Gardner) I went with their system and I am Very Happy!

He took the time to explain how they do Muscle Car exhaust. Most all their pipes are formed using NOS examples they have accumulated over the years.

My 65 system was a little under 1K. I didn't need their head pipes as my originals were still very nice and solid and so were my hangers. Note - Their head pipes have the "Correct flat area" of about 7 inches long just under the transmission cross member (just as my Originals have). Some other systems do not have this detail!

I had to purchase the whole system as they won't sell seperate pieces. That's fine as the stock mufflers and tail pipes are dead on. They also do the OEM correct double cut at the end of the tail pipes giving that factory finish.

I installed this system with little effort as the fit was perfect.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
I did alot of research regarding 1965 GTO exhaust because I wanted something as close to OEM style for my low mileage car.

After talking a couple of times with the Owner (Eric Gardner) I went with their system and I am Very Happy!

He took the time to explain how they do Muscle Car exhaust. Most all their pipes are formed using NOS examples they have accumulated over the years.

My 65 system was a little under 1K. I didn't need their head pipes as my originals were still very nice and solid and so were my hangers. Note - Their head pipes have the "Correct flat area" of about 7 inches long just under the transmission cross member (just as my Originals have). Some other systems do not have this detail!

I had to purchase the whole system as they won't sell seperate pieces. That's fine as the stock mufflers and tail pipes are dead on. They also do the OEM correct double cut at the end of the tail pipes giving that factory finish.

I installed this system with little effort as the fit was perfect.
agree 100% . make sure you use the sealer that comes with the system as the muffler connections
will leak and stain the pipes