Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pontiac 400 Oil pan and dip stick questions

I am having an oil leak issue with the 400 in the Firebird. After taking the engine out of the car this weekend (with assistance of some friends) we found that the rear "hump" area that goes over the main cap area isn't sealing. The pan is a Summit Racing pan that was put on the engine a couple of years ago and the pan has had a oil leak for about a year now. Compared to an OE pan, the Summit pan doesn't have a "ridge" line on the area that goes over the main cap, the OE pan has the raised ridge. I am going to use the OE pan once I can find a good one. My question is this. How many quarts of oil is the stock 400 suppose to hold? I am finding conflicting info that states 5 total with filter and 5+1 for filter. Is it 4 or 5 quarts in the pan? also, the car is set up with a/c and has the long dipstick and tube assembly (2 piece.) I have been having to put 6 quarts of oil in the engine (one for the filter) to get the oil level to read full on the dipstick. I am confused about this because if the pan is suppose to only hold 4 quarts and I have been putting in 5 to get the oil level to read properly, is it possible that I have the wrong dipstick assembly and am over filling the crankcase and causing the rear pan seal to leak? I have always put 5+1 in this engine.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

6 qts with filter is normal your dipstick is fine

Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

It must be that Summit pan then. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just checking but do you have the lower tube installed? Some fit in the wind age pan and some without windage pans have a tab that bolts to a main cap to hold it in place

Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerytony View Post
Just checking but do you have the lower tube installed? Some fit in the windage pan and some without windage pans have a tab that bolts to a main cap to hold it in place
Without the lower tube the dipstick not only won't read correctly, it will hit the crank and eventually break off the tip of the dipstick.

Here's a picture of the lower tube that bolts to the #3 main cap, for use on engines not originally equipped with a factory windage tray.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Senior Chief

I do have the inner dipstick fastened to the block. I found that the rear lip on this summit pan is flimsy and doesn't have a raised edge to keep pressure on the gasket. Even with silicone, eventually the pan in that area moves up and down just enough that an oil leak appears. I'm looking for an oe pan here locally. Found one but it's rusty ad dented. I could hammer out the dents and have it hot tanked as a last result.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you cant find one let me know I think I should have a good one around here