THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default the future of the hobby?

what will your rare car be worth in 20 years?

as much as it is now??

i wonder why some folks think they will take 10+ yrs restoring/ re creating a perfect numbers matching/correct car and then sell for big money someday.
i think there will be a large drop in value as we die off and there are more cars than collectors.

opinions?

Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess it depends on what you consider "big money".

When you consider a decent price for a very correct, frame off restored, very nice 68 GTO would probably be $35-40K .... well, that will get you a crew cab, diesel 4x4 pickup these days .. and plenty of people buy those.

And cars in the 60K plus range are getting into the "investment" car range.

But yeah, there are limits ... that's why you don't see a lot of interest in 50's cars ... the people that drove them are disappearing.

Most people that wonder why other people are restoring correct, perfect numbers matching cars .... don't have a correct, perfect numbers matching car.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Suspended

We are seeing now drops in value of early 60s big cars and their components. I am of the age where Pontiac's glory days ('59-'63 roughly at the end of which GM pulled the plug on racing efforts) coincided with my high school years. '61 Venturas used to bring big money but no more from what I've seen this past year. I just picked up a 859 on ebay for what I though was almost chump change given what an 859 is and what they've gone for this past ten years. The prices for and interest in cars and parts for them from the early 60s and earlier are dropping now.

GTOs (the '64-'73 cars) will carry on until THAT croud starts to die off, then I suppose the early Firebirds too. But IMO we are seeing the beginning of the end right now.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I was a kid, 60s muscle cars were a dime a dozen, the money was in model T's and 57 Chevy's.
Now yA can't give a model T away!!

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"what will your rare car be worth in 20 years?"

I always say my cars are worth nothing, they are a total loss, because I have NO interest in selling any of them.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny how this topic seems to come up every month or two.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember driving my 71 GTO in 1978 and listening to Zeppelin and some good rock on the radio and cassettes...thinking someday no rock no GTOs. Then bonzo died and I sold my GTO to go to college...thinking its over

Old 06-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Funny how this topic seems to come up every month or two.
Yep. I remember wondering around 1990 if muscle cars had a future "market" Had a '71 Z28 at the time that was my daily driver and not even a collector yet.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Model T parallels can't be ignored, from a generational standpoint. But there are a few differences. Model T's are not fun to drive, or great to look at, relative to many '60 muscle cars. So the latter will have more longevity for that reason alone.

Personally, I'm with necdb3.... don't care what they'll be worth. Restoring them is just my hobby, and it costs me less per year than most serious golfers shell out. The money that I'm counting on to help me retire is invested elsewhere...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 06-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like Keith,do it for the love of the hobby!Tom

Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I guess it depends on what you consider "big money".

Most people that wonder why other people are restoring correct, perfect numbers matching cars .... don't have a correct, perfect numbers matching car.
no i dont have a numbers matching car, but i know it would be a fun project.
i love searching/finding the correct part. i just know i couldnt afford to see it thru.

i have built a very convincing, completely date correct '71 clone. that's fun enough for me.
i didnt mean to insult anyone and i do appreciate the correctly restored car.

many friends of mine are buying standard level muscle, and thinking they'll restore them and sell for a large profit.
i'm thinking they have no idea how much time and money is involved, and the actual value of the car versus how much they've invested.
and in ten years what will that restored 1971 GTO, with 400 and a 3 speed, am radio non a/c car be worth?
20yrs?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
yes. we do it for the hobby. because we love it.
i'm asking about the guys who think that it's a good solid investment' that will turn great
profit.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
X2, Tom!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2016, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 4 sons ranging from early 30's to late 40's. None of them have the interest in older cars that I do. They like my 1967 GTO because they grew up with the car always around. Do they want one? They would like mine but have no interest in some other one. They like the newer fast cars. I guess I was the same way when I was younger. When we were young we were interest in cars we were familiar with.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there are two ways to achieve a very correct, numbers matching car ... one is to have a lot of money, the other is to have a lot of patience.

I'm in the second category .... I'll wait, and wait, and wait until a deal comes along on what I need. If a person needs things NOW, it gets a lot more expensive.

But ... as I've said before .... never again. My next one is going to be a fun car that I don't care what it's worth or how correct it is.

Strange hobby .... I often want what I don't have, then when I have it ... I want something else.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's see a model T do this...

I still do have GTOs and listen to rock today...l

Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Senior Chief

I'm upside down in my car but it doesn't bother me one bit. I have a nice looking dependable driver that I love driving. The engine, transmission and rear end are original to the car. The pieces I've added in dash tach, sport mirrors, and AM FM radio are all correct for a 71 GTO. The interior is redone with the correct comfort weave. Other pieces like belts, hoses, AC compressor, fuel pump are just off the shelve items.
After I'm gone my son can sell the car and for him it will be 100% profit.
To get back to the OP I do think there will be a drop off in value for a lot of these cars. When people obtain discretionary income they want the cars they longed for when young. Ex: The late 70's Trans AM. Prices soaring at a rapid rate.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
We are seeing now drops in value of early 60s big cars and their components. I am of the age where Pontiac's glory days ('59-'63 roughly at the end of which GM pulled the plug on racing efforts) coincided with my high school years. '61 Venturas used to bring big money but no more from what I've seen this past year. I just picked up a 859 on ebay for what I though was almost chump change given what an 859 is and what they've gone for this past ten years. The prices for and interest in cars and parts for them from the early 60s and earlier are dropping now.

GTOs (the '64-'73 cars) will carry on until THAT croud starts to die off, then I suppose the early Firebirds too. But IMO we are seeing the beginning of the end right now.
Yeap well figured. HS grad was 1982, so the 50's cars are monuments of bad engineering to me, while the 57-63 Pontiac PMD heyday was read about but not directly experienced. Even found 980 heads (2-sets) awhile back for cheap, and went ho-hum about them, and passed em up, compared to the modern iron heads.

So, the (my) attitudes about the 68-70 GMs doesn't seem to wane for what i own. Other's cars is like "okay, hope ya like it". Same goes with my vacuum tube audio & old berr can hobbies i suppose.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Suspended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwC...e_gdata_player

Old 06-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Suspended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beiw...e_gdata_player