THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default Anyone live in Dayton, Ohio?

I'm moving there in a couple months and looking for safe neighborhoods... And a tiny house with a big garage for all my junk. Any recommendations?

"Individual results may vary..."
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few random thoughts...definitely not all inclusive but it's a start:

Any neighborhood in Dayton is better than Chicago, Baltimore, etc. No riots, only minor gang activity....not much reason to make the national news.

Find the intersection of Gettysburg and Third Street on the map. Draw a big circle around there and stay away unless you enjoy cops and news crews hanging around.

Most all of the suburbs are going to be ok. Look up property prices. The more expensive neighborhoods are consistently better to be in. You get what you pay for.

Check out a township or rural area. The rules for building big garages are much less restrictive.

Oakwood is mostly old money and the police will cite you if your yard isn't mowed or they think your house needs paint. You can probably forget about a big garage.

Beavercreek and Centerville are mostly new money neighborhoods and are pricey.

Lots of growth south of town between Dayton and Cincinnati. Property values rising because people realize that you can draw from 2 different job markets.

I don't have a link but you can look up school district ratings. Better schools will generally indicate a nicer place to be.

Hope this helps a little.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 09-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Senior Chief

What brings you to Dayton? Beavercreek,Centerville,Kettering,Troy,Tipp City
are nice suburbs to explore.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kettering is nice...I grew up there.

I live in the Bellbrook/Spring Valley/Waynesville area now. Love it here but Sugarcreek Township taxes are high because the residents never met a school or fire levy that they won't vote for.

I wouldn't live in the heart of Xenia but the outskirts are fine and it's close to Kil Kare Dragway.

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 09-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input. I visited a couple weeks ago and drove big circles around town exploring mostly the outlying areas that feel like country, although there are pockets of country within the metropolitan area. I've noticed a couple things:

- The property with land and big garages is often pretty old. I don't mind old but don't need a huge farmhouse that needs tons of maintenance

- Taxes are higher than what I'm used to in many areas. I haven't figured out which areas are which.

- I have to consider retail. My tastes are not the norm and I can't spend a ton on something that might be hard to get out of.

- Real estate agents just don't get it. I tell them what I want and they ask more details about square footage and recommend a ranch in Beavercreek. I'm like no, I want garage space in a country setting that's safe and can withstand occasional engine tuning.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

Eric hit it just right. I grew up in a suburb just north of Dayton and can tell you first hand it's no place to spend any time in. Granted it was a neighborhood were you could darn near do anything short of killing someone. I now live north of there in Butler township. Yes the taxes are high but well worth it to me. I don't live in a suburb anymore and the property seems to be holding its value as of now.
Once you start to narrow it don't be afraid to ask about the areas. I'm sure one of us will be glad to chime in. And do yourself a favor and get out and drive around some of these townships. I bet you will find what you're describing.
Good luck

Old 09-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is considered high taxes?

Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
What is considered high taxes?

Annual taxes seem to vary between 1500 to over 4000 for similarly priced homes in different county's. I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina where taxes were low and life was great.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Senior Chief

Taxes are greatly effected by the school district witch will help with resale in this area. Also land size and square footage obviously. I can speak from experience that property values have suffered in many suburban areas and still have yet to rebound.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROYBOYONE View Post
What brings you to Dayton? Beavercreek,Centerville,Kettering,Troy,Tipp City

are nice suburbs to explore.

I like airplanes. I can flaunt my N.C. "First in Flight" license plate.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lifetime Dayton resident here. Eric grew up in the southern area and I grew up in the northern suburbs. We are actually about 45 minutes apart, so it is a pretty big metro area. Toward the north where I live, cost of homes and real estate are definitely lower than the southern areas. But some areas are not the greatest and not getting any better. I have been looking to move for 2 1/2 years and we just can't find the right place. I too am looking for a smaller house as I am an empty nester now. And a big honking garage!. Not an easy thing to find unless you are willing to go 70-100 year old farm house in my price range. My current house I love and have room to add a big garage and even have it approved. But I live in an area that is now about 1 mile from the "hood". The urban hood has been slowly creeping my way for the last 15 years and it is almost here. So I would rather move than have to build a fortress here to protect my stuff. I live right on the edge of Trotwood. I would avoid that suburb for sure. Terrible schools and lots of crime. I actually live in Clayton, you can find it on a map. It's still OK, probably for another 10 years or so and housing costs are really cheap for what you get. You can buy a 2000 Sq. Ft. brick home with a 2 car garage on a 1/2 acre for 115K here. That same home in Kettering would be 185-200K. But I have had both my cars broken into in my driveway, had my shed broken into and all my lawn equipment stolen. So choices have to be made. Taxes wise, Montgomery County is very high. You are paying for inner city schools, the worst in the state, even worse than Cleveland, and all the handout and poverty services of any big city. Miami, Greene, Darke, Warren are all lower. If you would like, PM me and I can give you the number of a REALLY GOOD realtor. He understands car guys, knows everybody, and has his finger on everything for sale in a 50 mile radius of Dayton. He is independent and works for a lower commission than most. 30 years of experience.
In closing, I used to say I can't wait to move out of Dayton, anywhere has to be better. I am older and a little wiser. It's probably not going to make anyones top 10 list, but it's not a bad place to live. Welcome!

Old 09-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
I like airplanes. I can flaunt my N.C. "First in Flight" license plate.
Air Force museum is awesome. But don't move to neighboring Riverside. They make the evening news a lot for crime and contaminated water supply.

And those plates will have to go.

Eric

Old 09-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Air Force museum is awesome. But don't move to neighboring Riverside. They make the evening news a lot for crime and contaminated water supply.

And those plates will have to go.

Eric

Nope. Plates stay.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My dad lives there- lucked into a newer built house with two big barns. I think it is the centerville area and it seems nice.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 AM
Senior Chief

Haven't been to Dayton in 30 years but will never forget my trip to the USAF museum where I saw the only surviving example of the XB-70. Gives the SR-71 a run for its money as baddest plane of all time. They used to park it outside way back then but I understand they've made a lot of improvements to the museum and now it's kept safely indoors. Good luck with your decision and move.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:29 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Lifetime Dayton resident here. Eric grew up in the southern area and I grew up in the northern suburbs. We are actually about 45 minutes apart, so it is a pretty big metro area. Toward the north where I live, cost of homes and real estate are definitely lower than the southern areas. But some areas are not the greatest and not getting any better. I have been looking to move for 2 1/2 years and we just can't find the right place. I too am looking for a smaller house as I am an empty nester now. And a big honking garage!. Not an easy thing to find unless you are willing to go 70-100 year old farm house in my price range. My current house I love and have room to add a big garage and even have it approved. But I live in an area that is now about 1 mile from the "hood". The urban hood has been slowly creeping my way for the last 15 years and it is almost here. So I would rather move than have to build a fortress here to protect my stuff. I live right on the edge of Trotwood. I would avoid that suburb for sure. Terrible schools and lots of crime. I actually live in Clayton, you can find it on a map. It's still OK, probably for another 10 years or so and housing costs are really cheap for what you get. You can buy a 2000 Sq. Ft. brick home with a 2 car garage on a 1/2 acre for 115K here. That same home in Kettering would be 185-200K. But I have had both my cars broken into in my driveway, had my shed broken into and all my lawn equipment stolen. So choices have to be made. Taxes wise, Montgomery County is very high. You are paying for inner city schools, the worst in the state, even worse than Cleveland, and all the handout and poverty services of any big city. Miami, Greene, Darke, Warren are all lower. If you would like, PM me and I can give you the number of a REALLY GOOD realtor. He understands car guys, knows everybody, and has his finger on everything for sale in a 50 mile radius of Dayton. He is independent and works for a lower commission than most. 30 years of experience.

In closing, I used to say I can't wait to move out of Dayton, anywhere has to be better. I am older and a little wiser. It's probably not going to make anyones top 10 list, but it's not a bad place to live. Welcome!

PMed.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PM sent.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I lived in the Dayton area (Vandalia) in the early 90's. Things were starting to get bad back then, so I would definitely recommend Tipp City, Piqua or West Alexandria verses Vandalia, Huber Heights or Trotwood.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, is the Buckhorn Tavern in Trotwood still open?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buckhorn Tavern, established 1947, is still open and doing fine. Actually, walking distance from my house in Clayton. My little shop is in Vandalia. It's still an OK area, near the airport. One daughter lives in Huber Heights in the newer area. It's also OK. The original older area is not great. The areas you don't want to live in unless you thrive on daily gun play, are: Dayton City Proper, far west side like Trotwood, Drexel, Farmersville. Downtown to the East until you get to Beavercreek. There are plenty of nice places to live and raise a family once you get used to the surroundings. As mentioned, it's a pretty big geographical area. From my travels it has a lot similarity to cities like Pittsburg, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, typical rust belt city on a slow rebound from the horrible recession.