Old 09-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Replacing flare welting on my 74 T/A

So I've never been too thrilled with the way my welting came out after I got the car painted (10 or so years ago now);

The welting was not painted completely so some of the underlying silver/gray coloring was visible on the edges and the area at the top of the flares (where it rolls over) was downright fugly up close.

I purchased some of the new 'color molded' stuff in Cameo White from this thread;

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hlight=Welting

Started with the LH rear flare - the old welting is laying on the ground;

The new stuff is very flexible but it's still tough to do a nice smooth curve at the top of the flare;

I'm going to let the trim adhesive set up overnight and fit it back on the car tomorrow. I had hoped to also do the LH front this evening but I forgot that I need to take the battery and air inlet snorkel out to get to the mounting bolts. I'll update the thread as I work my way around the car.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Slowly working through all four flares. The tips at the top of the rear flares are tough to get a clean curve on. When I put the welting on originally I used a combination of trim adhesive and staples. The problem with the trim adhesive was that it really only bonded to the flex paint on the welting, and not the welting itself. With the color molded welting it seems to bond pretty well to the flare so I'm foregoing the staples;

Old 09-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On to the front flares;

This picture gives you an idea of how closely the molded welting matches the Cameo White paint - it's a good match.

Once again, the trickiest part is the top of the flare where the welting needs to curve around and to a point;

Old 09-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know that the original welting matched the paint color exactly anyhow. I redid mine on my Cameo white '71 last year, wish I had known about this then as the aftermarket stuff that has been out is too wide and not very good.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO