Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Crazy boost shakedown run

So, it's been a few years since I had the car out after making the switch to EFI and getting the rear suspension set up, as well as other stuff.

Took it out for a shake down run before going to ATCO Sunday, that's when the perfect combination of errors happened.

Lost the brakes and throttle return spring broke! The boost kept building and I was out for a fun ride before neutral and a keyed shutdown. The good news is that the tune is right on and she launched straight as an arrow.

So I put a backup spring now as a safety and had a long discussion with Wilwood and Baer today. Turns out that a master cylinder upgrade is in order after the dual caliper conversion.

Amazing how one run can get the blood going again, just to bad it's on the wrong end of the season.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow that sounds scary! Glad you're alright. Good luck in getting it all straighten out...

Old 11-01-2016, 02:57 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I thought dual throttle return springs got put into the NHRA rulebook in about 1954? [and subsequently into all rulebooks after that...]

Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on the spring.

What was the problem with the brakes?

Not enough brake pressure when applying brakes?
Or an actual malfunction?

Must be great feeling though to have it back out.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your right on the rule book, unfortunately I failed to double check the work of a trusted friend. When he helped put the new bracket on he used the new springs as opposed to the double on the old set up. Now the whole car has had a check up by my own eyes.

The master lost pressure, even though it was spec'd properly. Ordered the BAER remaster yesterday.

John, absolutely a great feeling gpoing for a blast after such a long time. The excitement of the failure just made it that much more exhilarating! BOOST RULES!

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get the blood going??? I'm sure it got the bowels moving too lol! Damn Doc that's scary stuff. Glad situation didn't get worse.
Good that you finally got it back out. It will be interesting to see how it does at the track. Iirc you were in the 9's on 5 psi last time you went to the track.

Late 1970 a friend of my brothers made a pass at the track...wanted a clean cut at finish to do a quick plug ck...(70 6pack 'Cuda) turned key off and it fell out and column locked. He got it stopped near end of track in other lane... we still remind him once in awhile. Dangerous but comical.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:35 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Never gave the falling-out-key deal much thought- good to be aware of it Bruce.

It's not good to make assumptions about safety items. For instance- kill switches on all vehicles in pulling competition (tethered to the weight-transfer sled). I watched a mini-rod back up to the sled, track official [supposedly] hitched him, clipped the killswitch tether to the sled, and signalled the driver. Driver tapped the throttle to tighten the chain (which wasn't really hooked) and the killswitch worked perfectly. But the momentum of the engine/wheels/tires shot him halfway down the track!

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 11-02-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Over here they count the original return spring on the carb throttle spindle as one,and then have to add another one.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad your back running, be careful out there!
Make some turbo Poncho power!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Having friends help is fine but NEVER ASSUME that the help's work is right without a personal inspection before you run the vehicle down the track.

You were lucky twice, on the Throttle and on the Brakes.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.