Old 11-18-2016, 02:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A couple of questions

Does anyone have a photo of the correct factory installed fuel/brake line clip(s) that attach to the frame on a 1967 GTO? Having a heck of a time figuring out how to run the lines from front drivers side to the rear. The repro assembly manual I bought has such tiny font and pictures...plus the re-print is faded which makes it that much harder to see. Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking to get opinions on the best rear axle bearing/retainer set on the market for a 10 bolt 28 spline 'bolt in' style axle (no C clips). Would love to find an American made product if possible. I bought an NOS NAPA bearing/retainer but need one more for the other side.

Thanks for any knowledgeable input you're willing to give me.

Robert

Old 11-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The fuel/brake line clips look like this. The fuel line (larger) snaps into the larger part, and the brake line into the smaller opening.

they run on the inside of the frame rail, on the driver's side. I think you need 4 of them. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel and Brake Line clip.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	440992  

Old 11-19-2016, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The fuel/brake line clips look like this. The fuel line (larger) snaps into the larger part, and the brake line into the smaller opening.

they run on the inside of the frame rail, on the driver's side. I think you need 4 of them. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your input. Apparently there are 3 lines (2 fuel, 1 brake) but only 2 of the 3 are connected as in your clip shown. I assume the smaller fuel line 'floats' between them? Research tells me the large fuel line attaches to the top of clip, smaller fuel line in between (middle), with brake line on bottom (attached to clip). Please correct me if this is wrong. Want to get it right!

Thanks again.

Robert

Old 11-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The toughest part of running a new pre-shaped fuel line, in my opinion, is getting it through the frame rail. I ran a wire coat hangar from the front where the line emerges frame the frame, back through to the opening where it emerges. With a pair of needle nose I carefully fashioned a loop in the coat hangar around the forward end of the line. I then fed it into the frame rail, intermiitantly pulling very gently on the coat hangar until the line emerged. Pull it as far through the rail as you can, even beyond where it will eventually stay, as you'll need the extra clearance to get the line over the rear end without kinking it. The you can snap it into the clips once it's in place. I don't know the answer to your question about three lines; mine only had two running to the rear.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could that 3rd line be a brake line?

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine has 2 fuel and 1 brake line in that location. I redid mine but what was on the car may not have been original.......

George

Old 11-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Took these pictures over 30 years ago of my '67 convert. The tags say "S & L" for small and large fuel lines and "B" for brake line. Both of my '67' have 2 fuel lines, the small one is a return line.

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I should've thought of it before my earlier post. AC cars had a fuel return line running back to the gas tank.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecosbill View Post
Yes, I should've thought of it before my earlier post. AC cars had a fuel return line running back to the gas tank.
Neither one of my '67's have AC but they still have a return line.

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 11-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOBIL View Post
Neither one of my '67's have AC but they still have a return line.
That may well be the case; I'm going off of knowledge of my 64 where only the AC cars had the return line, although I think the tripower cars may have also had it.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to all who responded. A special thanks to YNOBIL for the clear pictures. Just what I needed. Mine is a hardtop which is slightly different because the frame is not boxed...so the clip location is not the same...but the location of the lines is very important. I really appreciate your help.

Robert

Old 11-22-2016, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A couple more questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecosbill View Post
The toughest part of running a new pre-shaped fuel line, in my opinion, is getting it through the frame rail. I ran a wire coat hangar from the front where the line emerges frame the frame, back through to the opening where it emerges. With a pair of needle nose I carefully fashioned a loop in the coat hangar around the forward end of the line. I then fed it into the frame rail, intermiitantly pulling very gently on the coat hangar until the line emerged. Pull it as far through the rail as you can, even beyond where it will eventually stay, as you'll need the extra clearance to get the line over the rear end without kinking it. The you can snap it into the clips once it's in place. I don't know the answer to your question about three lines; mine only had two running to the rear.
Thanks for that tip! Was wondering how the heck I'd get those lines in place! Now I just need to know where those fuel lines exit the front of the frame. Can you describe its location? There is a 1" hole in front which is somewhat in line with where the lines in YNOBIL's photo #3 enters the frame rail. Is that 1" round hole in the cross member above the left engine mount where the lines emerge? And do both lines come out that same hole?

Old 11-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6d7gto View Post
Thanks for that tip! Was wondering how the heck I'd get those lines in place! Now I just need to know where those fuel lines exit the front of the frame. Can you describe its location? There is a 1" hole in front which is somewhat in line with where the lines in YNOBIL's photo #3 enters the frame rail. Is that 1" round hole in the cross member above the left engine mount where the lines emerge? And do both lines come out that same hole?
On my 67 Convertible they come through that hole. Great Pictures YNOBIL!

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 11-26-2016, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this the correct exit hole?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4154.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	441360  

Old 11-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks to be correct, but I am out of town currently and away from my car to verify. The lines should emerge fairly close to the fuel pump.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes that looks correct.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 11-29-2016, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again to all who responded. With your help this project is making headway. I bought a 1 1/16" rubber plug with 2 holes in it to secure and separate the fuel lines from the bare metal on that exit hole. Not factory correct but adds a finishing touch as well as function.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6d7gto View Post
Thanks again to all who responded. With your help this project is making headway. I bought a 1 1/16" rubber plug with 2 holes in it to secure and separate the fuel lines from the bare metal on that exit hole. Not factory correct but adds a finishing touch as well as function.
Can't leave us wondering now......pic needed!

Old 11-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Late model year '67's all had the vapor return line regardless of a/c or non a/c. The problem of vapor lock was later resolved in future years by a return line to the fuel pump instead of all the way back to the tank.

In non original applications, the fuel pump return seems like a better option

Old 11-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Late model year '67's all had the vapor return line regardless of a/c or non a/c. The problem of vapor lock was later resolved in future years by a return line to the fuel pump instead of all the way back to the tank.

In non original applications, the fuel pump return seems like a better option
I assumed ALL 1967 A bodies had the return line including the early models. Mine was born in November, 1966, non AC hardtop...and definitely had the return line. Perhaps others can chime in with their particular model and build dates?