THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anybody got a woodmizer?

Friend has an LT40 w hydraulic Pkg. We have been using it quite a bit. I am the catcher & set up/center the logs for the cut. We have done a bunch of BIG oak and yellow pine lately. He climbed and helped me take down 3 95' VA & short leaf pines next to the house which we turned into lumber to add on to my barage. Should be dry enough in the Spring. He is building a house w a post and beam thing going on inside that we did a bunch of big stuff for including some huge stringers. Also cut a 24"+ White Oak with a big solid crotch in it. Some incredible looking wood there. So hard it stalled the mill on one cut. No idea what I am going to use that for.

Have some questions about adjusting the main part of the unit. Have called & talked to tech support, but neither of us is nerdy enough for them, and they don't seem real enthused about talking to novices. We have tuned/trued it a little and had to replace the stator & flywheel most recently. Next we need to adjust the main tower a little from underneath as it is slightly off not cutting exactly true.

Will post Pics later. Recovering from a catastrophic hard-drive crash, moving to a new OS AND new phone. Protracted ordeal there getting data restored from external drive. I can now replace a HDD in an iMac though. That is the easy part.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Deadhead, several PY'ers and Pontiac people work for Wood-Mizer. My Uncle, Dale Freese, is one of their first engineers (and is still there), I think he is on PY as FAST_Dale. Chris Hooten is their trade show coordinator (hooch). Bob Hooten, Chris's brother, is one of their Field Service guys. Bryan Hooten, Chris's son, runs the shipping dept. Alex Freese, Dale's son is in new products and there are probably a few more that I am forgetting. Send me a PM with your number and I will have one of them get in touch with you.

-Doug

Old 12-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ever amazing PY connection. Thanks so much for the response. It would be great to be able to talk to the brains of the operation.

There are a bunch of these mills working locally. Long history of sawing here. 2 of the guys I know use them full time to make a living. It is a complex operation, and if you do not do it regularly takes a while. Once you get into it for a few weeks, you get pretty good at getting the most out of a log regardless of shape.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 12-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Small World" comes to mind here.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Douglas you forgot AJ is the welding supervisor. My number is 3176946187 call me when you have time.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah & I am from/in Batesville, VA too. Crazy stuff y'all. I live by it! Will post some Pics today & holler at you when I get together with my sawing buddy at the mill so we can shoot you some Pics to flesh out our ignorance & make sure we know what we are doing going forward.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
Douglas you forgot AJ is the welding supervisor. My number is 3176946187 call me when you have time.
I knew I forgot someone...

Old 12-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Yeah & I am from/in Batesville, VA too. Crazy stuff y'all. I live by it! Will post some Pics today & holler at you when I get together with my sawing buddy at the mill so we can shoot you some Pics to flesh out our ignorance & make sure we know what we are doing going forward.
Bruce, you've got Chris's number and he has yours. I have no doubt they will help you get this mill tuned in. Bob is in your area quite often on service runs, maybe you can meet up with him in person some time. -Doug

Old 12-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is great. My buddy has met Bob I think on one of his service tours through the area. You really need to be able to do much of it yourself since those guys only come through once a year, & when you are in BF Egypt sawing, you need to have the confidence and knowledge to be able to work on it as needed.

We can go for a ride when he comes through. This place is now crawling with micro breweries, cider & other distilleries all with events continuously.

Thanks again for the hook-up. Life is good!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 12-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some of what we did here at my place. I'll group them by the pine project: buddy in one of the 4 we removed when the tail end of a hurricane passed through in about 20 minutes. Not sure he trusted my assessment of the radar image, but it worked out. Then some of the logs on the ground. We were able to get about 15 2X10 18' out of the largest logs. Sap was still full up which made for less dust but more weight. Mill setup at the back door. A couple of nice yellow pine boards. Some of the shortleaf boards were even nicer. And... White Oak sawing: Dropped the tree about 8' from the mill. You can see it still standing behind the trash can in YP board Pic. Had to trim down the crotch section to get it to fit through the saw. Never seen anything as beautiful as the combination of crotch, tiger striping, & straight grain in that one section. Trained eye can see where the saw stalled in the rock-hard center section of the select board. Trying to get a friend to make a guitar body from it if it does not check all to he!!. 2nd to last one is sawing way back in the woods with the death machine propane powered knuckle boom truck w/ Hattie supervising. Finally the pile of product oddly stickered & stacked. Hey, it's a barn.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon

Last edited by Deadhead; 12-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:37 PM

Just let me know what you need help with. You want to make sure you have the correct blade for what your sawing. The drive belt should have the correct tension. The blade guides .... just let me know how I can help. Thanks