THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Automotive pet peeve of the day!!

I just love when I am pumping my gas I am forced to stand there & listen to the commercials & adds on the little TV screen that's on all the gas pumps now.

POCI.org
Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is when they don't keep receipt paper in the pump and I have to go inside for one.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
I just love when I am pumping my gas I am forced to stand there & listen to the commercials & adds on the little TV screen that's on all the gas pumps now.
O.M.G.
The local Chevron has those. 4 pumps, screens on both sides, so 8 different screens. The sound comes to my ear from the random pumps like a bad stereo sound mix.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Most of ours here have a mute button, I always mute them!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate those damn things! I don't need to be entertained while pumping gas!

My automotive pet peeve? Cars that don't use keys anymore. Can someone tell me why anything short of a race car needs a push button start? I hate them!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I drive my Pontiac, I don't need to listen to the ads - there are too many people wanting to talk about the car.

With my daily driver, I'll set the "auto" switch and walk away to avoid that stuff.

They are always playing "Jimmy Fallon" clips on the pumps out here. Either they are picking his worst jokes, or that guy isn't very funny.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Talking about cars while gassing up the 9. A guy about my age told me. “Most people don't know this. Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile, he invented the automobile assembly line.”

The pearls of wisdom gained while pumping gas and listening!

Youth is brilliant: While driving the car in a parade, an 8 year old boy hollered out, “Nice Firebird!” I said thanks while his buddy asked him how he knew it was a Firebird? “It says so on the car.” Why can't people our age figure out these kinds of things?

Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
Talking about cars while gassing up the 9. A guy about my age told me. “Most people don't know this. Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile, he invented the automobile assembly line.”
No, Henry Ford improved the automobile assembly line. And that didn't know it either.

"The modern assembly line and its basic concept is credited to Ransom Olds, who used it to build the first mass-produced automobile, the Oldsmobile Curved Dash." I knew it was Ransom Olds, but to confirm the above is taken from here....
https://www.bing.com/search?q=who+in...f7c8d54c32f5c2

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Senior Chief

Mine is when a young person is pumping gas, car shut off but stereo on full blast.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My best/worst one is when a guy pulls up with his girl and I'm filling my Z/28 and says his friend had one just like it only it was a convertible.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 01-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
When I drive my Pontiac, I don't need to listen to the ads - there are too many people wanting to talk about the car.

With my daily driver, I'll set the "auto" switch and walk away to avoid that stuff.

They are always playing "Jimmy Fallon" clips on the pumps out here. Either they are picking his worst jokes, or that guy isn't very funny.
Jimmy Fallon is just another one of the young, know it all " Richards", although not quite as annoying as most of the others. The young one's make Johnny Carson look even better than he was..lol

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
Mine is when a young person is pumping gas, car shut off but stereo on full blast.
BINGO!

Just as bad, the person who walks up "Hi, I'm out of gas, and I need to get home, and I have no money", and they're driving something nicer than most people have....

Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

My pet peeve, convertibles with the top down and every window up!
Worse than that, top down with only quarter windows up!!!

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Senior Chief

Here in Kentucky , I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the fart can Honda or the hick with the fart dump diesel / semi stack sticking out of the bed - at least the Honda kid doesn't belch black smoke or have a fish hook on his real tree hat ! 3rd up is Harley's with drag pipes .

Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The C6 I bought a little while ago straight up hates the newer style gas nozzles with the vapor guards on them. Most other cars I've had would sometimes trip the auto pump deal. The corvette I pretty much just have to stand there and hold it.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of the taxi cabs filling up when gas is 2 cents a litre cheaper in my neighborhood. It seems to happen whenever I'm low on fuel. I've seen them fight over spots in line to save 1.20 with their 60L tanks.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Jimmy Fallon is just another one of the young, know it all " Richards", although not quite as annoying as most of the others. The young one's make Johnny Carson look even better than he was..lol
carson is 100x funnier than fallon or any one of those other late night goofs/time wasters on tv. 300 channels and nothing on. give me football or the westerns channel, sports news or a movie. thanks.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
I HATE that. I put the nozzle on lock and walk away so I don't have to be bombarded with that crap......

Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Senior Chief

Slide your credit card, select your grade, insert the gas nozzle, then freeze your ass off and WAIT 5 minutes till they reset the pump...

Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post

My automotive pet peeve? Cars that don't use keys anymore. Can someone tell me why anything short of a race car needs a push button start? I hate them!
Mercedes invented it because of carjackings. That way you have the key on you, you get carjacked & within 10 miles or so the car will shut off when it comes to a stop because its always making sure the key is in the car while running. Other car company's only saw the start button and said thats cool lets do that too.