Old 03-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1971 455HO YE block with no VIN?

Back around 1983 - 1984, I picked up a 1971 YE 455HO engine. I recently had someone asking about the block and they wanted to know the VIN number of the block.

I went down today to load up for Autofair. I scraped and wiped the front surface of the block with lacquer thinner, but I can't find a VIN anywhere. I have seen blocks where the VIN was very poorly stamped, but I'm not sure I've seen one with the VIN number completely missing.

There is no SR number, the block code is YE, and there is a unit number stamped below the block. It's a 4-bolt main, and I don't think anybody was restamping blocks when they were just used cars.

Thoughts anybody?

Mike

Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fremont stamp in different location, and some don't get stamped. They're worth more with no vins.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fremont VIN is up high near where the passenger side head meets the block. I agree with Mike, I would pay more for a factory stamped block with no VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Fremont stamp in different location, and some don't get stamped. They're worth more with no vins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	450677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	450678  

Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am pretty sure I looked in that area. I've seen some block VINs stamped in the location you show. I took some pictures, will have to go back and look at them again. The block was greased, then wrapped up pretty well, so I cut most of the plastic off the front looking for the VIN. This will probably be a block I sell.

I am pretty sure this engine came out of a GTO. I junked an automatic 71 GTO in the early 80s, I think this is the engine out of that car, and I also bought a 71 YE from a friend of mine around 1985 or so.

Mike

Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

interesting!

i just learned something new!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-26-2017, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is up high like Eaglesan13.
Last couple of numbers are pretty light.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple of photos. I don't see a VIN number at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71_YE_VIN_2.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	450702   Click image for larger version

Name:	71_YE_VIN_1.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	450703  

Old 03-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a guy looking for a YE block in the wanted section. Doesn't get any better than this. ��

Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What's that rule by Gibbs?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Which casting number is it, and what is the date code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
Here are a couple of photos. I don't see a VIN number at all.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Date code is B12 or B151.

I'm pretty sure it's the later casting.

Maybe they hired a new guy on the line. This block is either three days newer or older than the other YE where the VIN number stamp wasn't perpendicular to the surface. About all you can make out for sure on this block is the 21N.

I have two YE blocks, one dated B121 and the other is B151. One VIN is poorly stamped, the other is missing the VIN entirely.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2052.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	450714  

Old 03-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they would both be desirable blocks, because they have the factory EUN and block code stamps. If they were used in a car needing a YE block, and the date code(s) lined up, no one would be able to say they were not original to the car, since the VIN is unreadable (or missing). I wish I would have been able to find a WC block for my car with the same VIN situation.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
I think they would both be desirable blocks, because they have the factory EUN and block code stamps. If they were used in a car needing a YE block, and the date code(s) lined up, no one would be able to say they were not original to the car, since the VIN is unreadable (or missing). I wish I would have been able to find a WC block for my car with the same VIN situation.
Yeah but you also couldn't say that it's original to the car. But I do agree I'd rather have one with no Vin stamp than with the wrong Vin stamp.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 71 WC motor has no VIN. Not that common but they do show up.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
My 71 WC motor has no VIN. Not that common but they do show up.
I have a 69 Ta the same way

Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With having no vin is there anyway to tell if the block is original to the car by using the ENU? Is it listed on the build sheet or PHS documents?

Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
What's that rule by Gibbs?
"No such thing as a coincidence"?

Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Senior Chief

When I was a product rep for GM it wasn't uncommon for me to order a brand new engine from an engine plant. The engine was to replace an engine in a vehicle that had a major failure shortly after the new owner took delivery. The engine plant would pull the complete engine off the line and ship it directly to the dealer I designated. Engine would be just like the ones they normally shipped to the final assembly plant. Because it never went to the final assembly plant it never received a VIN stamping. And because it was a fully assembled engine (had plugs, distributor, plug wires, fuel, injection, etc.) it wasn't considered a SR engine like the ones shipped to the parts division warehouses.. So it never got a SR stamp. The failed engine would be returned for analysis of what went wrong. Have to believe I wasn't the only product rep that did this to satisfy the customer.

Another scenario where an engine may not get a VIN stamp can happen at the final assembly plant. After a vehicle is completely assembled it goes on a dyno for Dynamic Vehicle Test (DVT). If the vehicle passes all it's tests then it goes out the door. However if it fails anything it goes to a repair bay. If during DVT the engine experiences a major internal problem/failure the engine will be removed from the vehicle and another new engine installed. The new engine comes from where pallets full of engines are awaiting installation on the assembly line. Because the engine is taken from there and sent directly to the repair bay it never gets stamped with a ViN. I had heard that the repair bay "may" manually "hand" stamp the VIN on the engine before installation. Don't know if all plants did this and if it was 100% of the time. Note: This may explain why some engine VIN stampings have been found with numbers that are not in alignment (straight).

Not saying either of these happened to the engine in question, but you never know. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by 1969GiPper; 03-26-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
When I was a product rep for GM it wasn't uncommon for me to order a brand new engine from an engine plant. The engine was to replace an engine in a vehicle that had a major failure shortly after the new owner took delivery. The engine plant would pull the complete engine off the line and ship it directly to the dealer I designated. Engine would be just like the ones they normally shipped to the final assembly plant. Because it never went to the final assembly plant it never received a VIN stamping. And because it was a fully assembled engine (had plugs, distributor, plug wires, fuel, injection, etc.) it wasn't considered a SR engine like the ones shipped to the parts division warehouses.. So it never got a SR stamp. The failed engine would be returned for analysis of what went wrong.

Another scenario where an engine may not get a VIN stamp can happen at the final assembly plant. After a vehicle is completely assembled it goes on a dyno for Dynamic Vehicle Test (DVT). If the vehicle passes all it's tests then it goes out the door. However if it fails anything it goes to a repair bay. If during DVT the engine experiences a major internal problem/failure the engine will be removed from the vehicle and another new engine installed. The new engine comes from where pallets full of engines are awaiting installation on the assembly line. Because the engine is taken from there and sent directly to the repair bay it never gets stamped with a ViN. I had heard that the repair bay "may" manually "hand" stamp the VIN on the engine before installation. Don't know if all plants did this and if it was 100% of the time. Note: This may explain why some engine VIN stampings have been found with numbers that are not in alignment (straight).

Not saying either of these happened to the engine in question, but you never know. Sorry for the long post.
Nice post and great information. Thanks for sharing your firsthand experience.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Nice post and great information. Thanks for sharing your firsthand experience.