The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 AM
Senior Chief

Default considering a carport to store the Trans am in

due to financial and my property restraints i cant put up the garage i waned to.. so im considering a car port or sorts. but i am concerned with wind/snow etc.. any recommendations. also if i do get one of those few huindred dollar kits ($300-$400) they look decent.. i was considering reinforce the roof area to prevent sagging and allowing snow/rain/ice to settle and collapse it. has anyone done this and good or bad results..

Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go with a metal type if ya can.The fabric/tarp ones wont hold up well. My buddys fell apart in 3 years.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't think I'd trust one of those cheap rag tops. This vertical roof model might work. And you can add side & end panels, and even a door, later, if you wanted.

https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com...of-carport.htm

While looking at online metal building info, I learned that it is a very competitive business. There are many companies that have similar prices, and also offer free shipping & installation. One guy told me that they have Mexican crews, who come put 'em up, in just a few hours. Even for a full blown 24 x 30 shop building they would only knock off $300, for no installation. That's cheap labor.

2 different local guys I talked to, wanted $2000 to put up a prefab 24 x 24 red iron building. They said it would be a 2-day job. A thousand bucks a day ain't bad pay. The building is $4k shipped, and it would cost $2k to bolt it together.

There are also DIY kits with slip fit frame members, but the prices are very little cheaper than the ones with free installation.

There are also buildings with rounded sections, instead of framing, with sheets bolted on. These are suppose to be easier for the DIY guys. And, you can add more sections later, to make it longer, if desired. Again, a very competitive market. Obviously these will cost more than just a tin roof on a cheap frame.

http://www.americansteelspan.us/PModels.html

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-20-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got one last fall from an online place called Carolina Carports. I paid about $1300 for a 20X20 cover, installed. I already had a concrete pad. It has worked out well for me. Got two of my cars out of the weather pretty much. I did have an issue with the installers decision on how to place it on my pad. I wasn't there at the time...but the company at least compensated for my issue with a small discount. Very nice product.
We don't have a snow problem here so, can't address that. I will say that it is quite sturdy in my opinion. Also, I haven't talked to them about it but I'm pretty sure that you could close it in later if you want.
http://www.carportcentral.com/caroli...pxoaAjSx8P8HAQ

Last edited by Greg Reid; 04-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM

as others have said, don't go with a fabric type for a semi/permanent installation. they are really designed for temporary function - like use in a racing paddock. i used one for years, but the reinforced fabric ages and gets brittle due to sun damage and the elastic bands give up also for the same reason. save yourself time and money and go metal from the get go. the carport company that greg showed looks quite good. if it were allowed on my property, i'd consider one. i'm stuck with off-site storage.

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 PM

There is a guy up the street from me that framed between the up-rights with 2x4/2x6 framing. He then put T-111 siding on outside perimeter. this might be an option that you could do as time and money allow. You could even insulate it and Sheetrock the interior

Old 04-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Senior Chief

I did look at some of those metal carports and found some that I did like a lot. I just have to see what the town ordinance will allow. I think that's gonna be my biggest hurdle. And of course they got their hand in your pockets for permits and this fee that fee. And then taxes go up etc. that's why I was considering a ragtop top that I could do reinforcing roof side for strength/stability and it's not a permanent structure so don't have to worry about the F you fee lol. Thanks for all the info