Old 06-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Default Dash Lights

Installed a new headlight switch and everything works properly except my dash lights do not come on. I had the same issue with the previous one which is why I replaced it. Any ideas?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What make, model and year car are we talking about? There are wiring diagrams available for some model years here: http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manua...ing/index.html If replacing the switch didn't fix the problem, it's something else - maybe a broken wire or something.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:50 PM

its a 1965 grand prix

Old 06-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

just a question, did you turn the knob both ways to see if they come on?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you check the fuse/ and that the fuse is making good contact on both ends. 52 years old could be corroded some.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the fuse as mentioned. There is a single wire going to the headlight switch for all the dash lights. Do you have a service manual and wiring diagram?. If yes, unplug the headlight switch and find that terminal in the connector. Use a FUSED jumper wire, I would use a 5-7 amp fuse and jump from power to that wire and power the dash lights. Some or all of them should come on. If none light, there is most likely an open in that wire. In this case, it's unlikely the ground side because each light socket grounds to the metal cluster housing. Also, if you just replaced the switch with a used one, rotate it both ways as mentioned rapidly and see if they come on. The rheostat can act weird after they sit for years. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could also have lost ground from the dash bezel (BMF chrome) to the chassis. Try running a known good ground to it. Probably not, but easy test & it can happen.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My question is, where did you get the replacement switch from?

I believe, (might be wrong), that the '65 and possibly '66 switch is specific to those years. Other switches such as from a '64 or '67 etc probably plug in to the loom but there is something in my mind that's telling me only a '65 switch will work for you. And it has to be a switch from a B Body car. An A Body car switch will not work.

Others might know? If you check with Bob Vidan, I'd bet he can get you a correct switch.