Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default idento-plate, protecto plate

wrong plates but interesting http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-63-64-6...19.m1438.l2649

Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

8lug I pulled out my "plates" to see the difference and there is. Also in his display examples, the items are not where they should be on either plate. I really doubt that the format changed between plants. We had the imprint machine and warranty papers that required the info in the correct spot. The warranty book also requires info to be in the correct spot when the plates are attached to the book.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can only speak to '64 according to the Tempest Inspector's Guide.

The factory plate was imprinted on each Passenger Car Shipping Order for KC and Balt builds so there is a lot of evidence that can be studied.

Aside from studying that evidence, I haven't paid a lot of attention to them.

As to the format of the factory supplied Plate, not only were there some Plant to Plant differences but there were also differences seen for cars from the same Plant.

The info was prescribed within the Inspector's Guide but the layout of the info on the Plate varied.

The plate was to be placed in the Owner's Protection Plan booklet at Final Assembly before the car shipped.

The 2nd Plate was NOT produced at the dealership. Instead, the retailing dealer was to supply the info to the Pontiac Sales Dept. and the plate was embossed by PMD with the purchaser's name, address, VIN and Dealer Code.

The 2nd Plate was then mailed by the PMD Sales Dept. DIRECTLY to the new owner with step by step instructions for the owner to place it in the Owner's Protection Plan booklet.

I don't know how uniformly the Sales Dept. would have formatted the 2nd Plate but the handful that I have studied all seem to have been done in the same format, 4 lines on each, all with the Indian Head symbol. In addition to the data noted in the I.G., they all also show the date of retail sale. The date seems to be consistently shown as "3 25 64" as example. No slashes or dashes in the date. And the Indian Head symbol always directly after the 4, no space. This date was different than the Production Date code embossed on the factory plate which might read "C6" for the same car, meaning March 6th.

I have seen precious few so I wouldn't bet that the Sales Dept. formatted them the same every time. But this is what I've seen.

8LUG, why do you say they are wrong? I'm wondering if it is the "KEY18-DAV18" seen along the edge? Or maybe the diagonal cut corners? I can't detect either of those things on any of the jpegs I have of them, but my pix are lo-res so I can't be sure.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Addressograph is etched on the end and the edges are square cut ,

Old 08-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know a guy who has a protect-o-plate machine and nos plates that are blank. He has never, and will never, use it to make plates. Strictly part of his 1965 GM collection, which is extensive. The Corvette guys have been faking vin tags, trim tags, engine stamps, etc. for decades. The other marques, much more honorable. Counterfeit P-O-P plates can only have one purpose: deception in order to earn $$$. Criminal, in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a picture of my POP from my 66 KC-built GTO convertible. The plates look different from what he's selling, with no cropped corners, and no "Keyes Davis" stamped on them.

Importsmasher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POP.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	463185  

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am