Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Casting 64 GP lenses

I am getting ready to make some molds of the reverse light lenses and front parking light lenses. The whole project to make the molds, purchase the crystal clear and form the lenses will run about $800 CDN. Any interest from members here in possibly wanting some of these? I will do the R&D of course. The reverse lights will be crystal clear and the purchaser can apply their own silver paint if they choose. The front parking will be lenses only. you will have to provide your own metal reflector from a cracked lens. In about a months time i will post some progress pics. All lenses will be UV resistant acrylic. Any price point advice would be greatly appreciated. i'm doing this for mine because good stuff is too hard to find this days

Thanks
Adam

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a '64, but if you could post pictures of your process that would be very interesting.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Willshire,

I think that's an admirable thing you're doing, but I don't know if anyone will spend $659 US for the lenses. I'm sure the process to make them is not easy or cheap. Hopefully you can find a bunch of folks who need them and be able to bring the price down. I wish someone would mass produce them. Various companies make repro lenses for the '63s and '65s but not the '64s. My front parking light lenses were all crazed/cracked, but I was able to find some on Ebay with the housings that were perfect. I'll have to check my reverse light lenses and see what shape they're in. Good luck and I hope it works out!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ64GP View Post
Hey Willshire,

I think that's an admirable thing you're doing, but I don't know if anyone will spend $659 US for the lenses. I'm sure the process to make them is not easy or cheap. Hopefully you can find a bunch of folks who need them and be able to bring the price down. I wish someone would mass produce them. Various companies make repro lenses for the '63s and '65s but not the '64s. My front parking light lenses were all crazed/cracked, but I was able to find some on Ebay with the housings that were perfect. I'll have to check my reverse light lenses and see what shape they're in. Good luck and I hope it works out!
That's just for the materials and equipment to do it AZ. I wouldn't charge that to make the lenses lol. once the mold is made i believ i can cast up to 20 parts before i need to remake the mold. Acrylic resin is about 50 dollars for 2 lenses. I will likely make the front park lenses first as the pressure pot i bought isn't big enough for the reverse lights. about 300 bucks in mold products and resin to make the first 2 lenses. if i sell them for 75-100 bucks a pair, i would have to move about 10 pair to make my money back. Now that i have the pressure pot, i just need the materials. Stay tuned!

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Willshire...I'm sorry! I misunderstood you. If you remake the front parking lights and reverse light lenses for a competitive price with a good product, you will have many takers. Those are not reproduced to my knowledge. Unless you have a good set of originals or find another original set from someone else like I did, the GP owner is out of luck. Good luck and please update the post with your progress.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:46 PM
Senior Chief

I'm keen for updates - I'd love to rock some GP lenses in my '64 Bonneville

Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

years ago Ames did not make the 63 GP lens,I found a NOS one and they agreed to repop them if I sent it to them.They did the deal and sent my original and a free pair back.FWIW,Tom

Old 09-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
years ago Ames did not make the 63 GP lens,I found a NOS one and they agreed to repop them if I sent it to them.They did the deal and sent my original and a free pair back.FWIW,Tom
That's an interesting idea. I do see a NOS '64 parking light lens pop up now and then on Ebay, but I've never seen two together so I didn't buy it. Buying one NOS and using that as way to get repros made is a good idea.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There may already be a mold made, I'll check and let all know.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There used to be repro 1964 GP ft parking lt lens but production stopped due to lack of interest. Don't bury yourself in case there is not enough interest to make back your investment.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of molds already made for the back up lens for the 64 GP. I did make a set from them and are very nice, but I need to get a vacuum chamber to get the bubbles out to make them super clear. I was going to focus on those over the winter time when things slowed down a little around here though.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
I have a set of molds already made for the back up lens for the 64 GP. I did make a set from them and are very nice, but I need to get a vacuum chamber to get the bubbles out to make them super clear. I was going to focus on those over the winter time when things slowed down a little around here though.

I watched a smooth-on video using pressure vs vacuum. Not a bad idea when a vacuum pump is so expensive. Good video for sure. What did you use for mold materials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I can make a set of front lenses for around $300 that ain't bad as they never, ever come up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spoke with my neighbor that does make a few things with resin but nothing clear so he does not degas his parts. He does have a vacuum pump as he does HVAC so I am going to purchase (or make) a chamber and see if we can move this along.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP