THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another? USPS Record

Sold a defogger switch on eBay to a guy who has bought from me before. He's 100 miles North of me. Box probably traveled 1000 miles to get there. Came back here 3 times, was scanned 22 times in all.

Went to the local PO last Friday and asked what was going on. Was told the package must have 2 bar codes on it and both were being scanned. Told them I know there isn't a 2nd, I always remove if it had and and also asked why they would scan a bar code that wasn't on THEIR label. No answer was no surprise.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a injector pump reseal kit on a Monday morning for next day delivery. It was in my hand Tuesday afternoon. I am in Phoenix, the kit came from Lucas in England!!! UPS!!

POCI.org
Old 11-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve had similar situations where the package disappeared forever. When I called USPS’s Indian call center, (let that sink in), I was told “we don’t guarantee delivery.”

Old 11-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Senior Chief

Mailed a letter priority last friday. I checked the tracking today - its still at the post office i sent it from.

I have two mailboxes on my porch; one for me, one for the tennant in the rear house. I get mail addressed to three people; Me, my tennant, and my former tennant whos been deceasd for two years.

Last edited by NBF823; 11-21-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to say they better up their game ... but, probably too late. In a couple of years Amazon will have their own UPS style delivery company and the USPS will lose billions in business because they evidently can't handle the packages with enough efficiency.
I know Amazon is already delivering in some test markets in Cali.

USPS has gotten better out here in my rural area the last year or so. They ACTUALLY get out of the vehicle and leave a package on the porch that is too big to fit in the mail box. For the last 25 years they wouldn't do that and you had to play PO Tag with them to finally pick it up days later.

USPS was much better when it was a totally govt. run enterprise .... only because they used billions in tax dollars to make it work. As a semi-government business ... or whatever the heck it is now, it's a disaster. You should see my local PO ... looks like something from Hooterville, the place is falling apart, and from the people that constantly change there I have the feeling it's some kind of punishment to work there.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I was going to say they better up their game ... but, probably too late. In a couple of years Amazon will have their own UPS style delivery company and the USPS will lose billions in business because they evidently can't handle the packages with enough efficiency.
I know Amazon is already delivering in some test markets in Cali.

USPS has gotten better out here in my rural area the last year or so. They ACTUALLY get out of the vehicle and leave a package on the porch that is too big to fit in the mail box. For the last 25 years they wouldn't do that and you had to play PO Tag with them to finally pick it up days later.

USPS was much better when it was a totally govt. run enterprise .... only because they used billions in tax dollars to make it work. As a semi-government business ... or whatever the heck it is now, it's a disaster. You should see my local PO ... looks like something from Hooterville, the place is falling apart, and from the people that constantly change there I have the feeling it's some kind of punishment to work there.

I just retired on October 27. I had 30.5 years as a city letter carrier. It is almost a zoo now compared to when I started in 87. Management's job today is harass the workers. They don't care if the mail is delivered correctly or at all. Just make sure we hit all our management service points. It will get worse before better.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gee, I'm glad to know that we are not alone on this side of the pond......

Dealing with Australia Post is enough to make my very stable blood pressure go over the moon.

But maybe things might get better. We have just seen the last CEO leave and a woman has been appointed. She is on (from memory), 3.5MILLION which is a big back step from the last guy who pulled in 7.5MILLION annually!!! And the last guy was a lets just say a regular mosque visitor and he donated 2.5million to the "Islamic Museum" here which is (conveniently) run by his brother!!! What a sham

Old 11-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

USPS delivers for Amazon on Sundays.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i prefer USPS, and cringe when I see a package is shipped FEDEX.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
i prefer USPS, and cringe when I see a package is shipped FEDEX.
X2

But I'm in Canada. A USPS box gets here with no extra charges and in about the same time as either UPS or FEDEX. 4-6 days. But with FEDEX and UPS there will be fees ($15-50)that often double the shipping cost.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve never had any usps problems , other than some of the lady’s at my local branch are rude . I’ve had fed ex lose a few packages or deliver to the wrong address several times .

Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 PM

I always use USPS no problems and the few times item was damaged I took a few pictures and money was refunded in a couple days. I have had to us FedEx for larger packages and they treat them like footballs. I shipped a tall Camaro rear spoiler and they broke it in 2 spots, they had to be standing on it or some heavy packages on top.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

USPS has always been good to me domestically, but when shipping from APO addresses abroad I have had problems. They lost my PS4 last year. It was insured. I had to send in two electronic requests for reimbursement and was denied. Basically you go through an appeal process with an original request, a 1st appeal and final appeal. For the final appeal I sent in a hand written letter that basically said the same as the other requests, but with more attitude. Approved. I honestly think they auto denied the first two requests figuring most people would just give up.

That experience was shady, but by and large I havent had issue when the package is staying in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 11-22-2017, 04:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I get packages from all three and none of them are great. I can tell you one thing though. If it’s a purchase I’m trying to hide from the wife I hate UPS it’s like they have radar on her car and bring it the moment she pulls in the driveway.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hate USPS for losing a Hurst wheel!!!

Old 11-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I work for one of the largest shipping companies in the world,I"ll let you guess. If you could ever see how packages are treated you would probably never ship anything again, There are Soooo many ways that a package can get damaged or lost. This time of year about a million packages a day will go thru our building.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Senior Chief

Out of hundreds of things I've shipped over the years, 99% went fine, and those other 1% were generally a real train wreck. Best one ever - I sent some parts from Dayton OH to Dallas TX via UPS. The "tracking" was 7 pages long, and must have been an obvious attempt to have it hit every possible UPS facility in North America. 6 weeks later, the guy gets the "box". What started out as a cardboard box with some 1/8" thick sheetmetal parts in it turned into a nearly round, soft container with sharp sheetmetal parts sticking out. Like the shipping equivalent of a Chinese throwing star. He sent me pictures. I wish I still had them, it was sad and hysterical at the same time.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 11-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

About 30 years ago, one of my mentors taught me his way to box stuff up for shipping. From a standing position, he took a box and pitched it forward and let it hit the floor. He said if the contents wouldn't survive that, it wasn't packed good enough. That approach has served me well.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 11-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vacuum Tubes, Beer Cans, car parts; 100% shipping success.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The customer finally got the switch. Took some more packages to that same PO branch this AM and was met by the branch manager, as I was leaving, and told I was not welcome at HIS branch. I told him thank you and now instead of taking any USPS shipments to 3 different places I use, I will be bringing all of them to HIS branch. Walked away, he didn't say a word. So I'm wondering if I'll be banned from using USPS all together.