Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-27-2017, 04:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Turning over (not starting) new engine

So, I've got my assembled YS400 engine on the stand ... putting the finishing touches on it in preparation for test running a few months from now. Will be installing the starter shortly.

Bad idea to roll it over a few times with the starter? Just want to check starter installation/wiring etc. before start-up day comes. HFT cam, rockers already adjusted.

Heck, I've turned it over a couple dozen or so times by hand already adjusting valves and such.

Don't want to end up in the test stand, fuel in carb, oil in engine, ready to go and not have the starter work, or hear something clanking around inside.

If it's ok to do this ... should I do it with the plugs in to make sure the starter is up to the task?

Old 12-27-2017, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what would you do if you had already enjoyed driving the car this passed season with the new motor and parked it over the winter, but now it's spring again and time to get it running again.
In other words you should treat the motor now the same way!
And yes I would want to hear the starter be it new or used Crank the motor on the test stand with the plugs in .

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It won't hurt anything with a few revolutions. Just make sure to prime the oil pump before actual startup, tho.

It's a good idea to check some of those basics on the stand. Header fit with starter installed is a good one. I had to do some serious hammer work to get my headers to fit around the starter. Shimming the starter is always way easier on the stand, too.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
So, I've got my assembled YS400 engine on the stand ... putting the finishing touches on it in preparation for test running a few months from now. Will be installing the starter shortly.

Bad idea to roll it over a few times with the starter? Just want to check starter installation/wiring etc. before start-up day comes. HFT cam, rockers already adjusted.

Heck, I've turned it over a couple dozen or so times by hand already adjusting valves and such.

Don't want to end up in the test stand, fuel in carb, oil in engine, ready to go and not have the starter work, or hear something clanking around inside.

If it's ok to do this ... should I do it with the plugs in to make sure the starter is up to the task?
I would leave it alone until you're ready to "light-it-up", my opinion, we do this all week long for a living!

I do hope you used "moly" on the cam lobes/lifters and NOT the lube most vendors now supply??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Wishing all here a safe and "Happy Holiday" season!! "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year"!

Old 12-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spin with plugs out, oil pan on with oil. Watch the lifters/pushrods rods firm up.

If the valley pan is off, u can add more cam lube to the lead ramp with your finger.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Something I never thought to do(read it on here) is hang it from an engine crane, or sit it on the ground, tilted back a little, to check for rear main seal or pan gasket leakage. Once the engine is installed any issue's with it turning over are simple compared to leaks.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine was assembled with the Fed Mogul assembly lube on bearings, and a super high pressure (starts with a K ..) very thick on the cam lobes, but not a lot used ... don't want it clogging the filter too soon.

Yep, just want to spin it a few times with the plugs in to make sure everything is up to the task. When the day comes, don't want to prime it with oil and fuel, put coolant in it, try to start it, find a problem, have it sit a couple of weeks, prime it again ... probably washing all the assembly lube off.

Figure it's one unknown I can take care of now rather than later.

Will do the hang test soon the day I put the oil in. Going to be ticked off it that doesn't go well.

I'll probably have a couple of hours run time on the stand before it goes into the frame. I want to be as confident as possible there are zero problems before it comes off the stand.