THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wow cable/satellite companies are getting desperate.

I called Directv about a month ago to cancel my $130 a month service. I just dont really use it enough to justify the cost. Between Netflix, and the sports subscriptions I have through the internet. They said I was eligible for a discount that knocked the bill down to $55 a month for a year. So I held onto it. Of course they "find" a discount for me when I want to cancel.

Fast-forward to now. Im moving so I call again to cancel. They offer me $8 a month for a year. No extra contract I can still cancel at any time.

I think Im going to call back in a week and see if they offer to send me a hooker.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-02-2018, 02:44 PM

I guess I'll try that too, am paying $110 a month for mostly BS channels

Old 02-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell them you want her to bring a pizza too. LOL

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ill wait to hear how good the hooker is before I call.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With all the streaming going on, cable and satellite companies are getting worried. Rightly so, who wants to watch the Kardashian channel, the Shawshank channel, wives of this and that city, blah, blah...

George

Old 02-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Tell them you want her to bring a pizza too. LOL
Now that right there is funny.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of "Shawshank"....have any of you noticed the '68 or '69 Lemans at the end of the movie? Based on the timeline of the movie that car didn't exist yet. It should have been a '67 or even a '66. Just sayin.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73LeMans View Post
Ill wait to hear how good the hooker is before I call.
but this is way funnier....and is exactly where my mind went...

imma mess...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Speaking of "Shawshank"....have any of you noticed the '68 or '69 Lemans at the end of the movie? Based on the timeline of the movie that car didn't exist yet. It should have been a '67 or even a '66. Just sayin.
Yes, I noticed that too! Not sure if it was a LeMans or GTO, but looked mostly like a 69 to me. Guess it took him a few years to get down to Mexico, eh?

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 02-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With all the commercials why can't they pay us?

TOM
Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just eliminated cable. Been a cable subscriber since the '80s, 17 year "loyal" subscriber in this location, rate is now $115 with taxes/fees for 140+ digital channels.

Went with Playstation Vue streaming service. You don't need a Playstation, I'm using it with an Amazon Firestick that my wife had already purchased ($40 I think). Saving more than $50/month.

Chose this because they offer Velocity channel, no other streaming service I could find offers it. PV has 2 cheaper plans without Velocity.

So when I called Comcast to cancel, the best they could do was upgrade me to their 220+ channel plan for $5 LESS per month for a year.

Told them I wasn't interested. Returned the equipment and that was that. Actually, they screwed up the first order to cancel, had to call them back the next day because when my wife went to drop off the equipment, she was told there was no cancelation order. They told me they would sort it out and back date it cause otherwise they would short me a day on my credit due. I'm not holding my breath but we'll see if they give me the credit due.

I will admit, after the 5 day PV trial ended, we have had a show or movie freeze on occasion. I suspect that is because my internet is DSL. But I don't know.

Except for that occasional hiccup, so far (2nd week) it is pretty good. When I compared offerings, the PV has about all the channels that Comcast has in their 220+ channel package and quite a bit more than we were getting with the 140+ package. Only significant thing I noticed that I didn't get was the History channel but I can stream something for free for that channel. Already added that app and a few others that I may or may not use, all free. Grandson watches Tommy the Tow Truck when he visits, another free channel app.

I was very hesitant to make the switch cause I really didn't think I understood how it would work. But now that I'm using it, I feel stupid for not jumping on the bandwagon sooner. Plus my wife reminded me that I spent a few hours in the attic last year, dropping a cable to a new spot on the wall after I moved the TV. Could have saved that time!

Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, streaming is the way to go in the future. that being said our internet prices are going to go up because the fiber infrastructure is going to have to be improved. At least until wireless gets good enough.

I paid for the MLB package through cable one year, and for the last several I have used MLB.TV over the internet. The internet package is night and day superior. Streaming services (like PS Vue) are the same. Their only downside right now is its fragmented. In a few years there will be consolidated streaming services so you dont have to have a half dozen subscriptions to get everything you want.

The other issue for sports fans is archaic blackout rules. I think you will see those change soon too. Teams are losing viewers who cut their cable but cant pay for the streaming service because it would be blacked out anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had cable, hated it. Between the tiling and freezing and only having two tuners to record shows...I switched back to Direct TV. Even when we had our yearly downpour, it worked fine. I have several shows I like recorded because I work odd hours and wouldn't see them otherwise. PLUS I race thru the commercials.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Commercials on Sat-TV?, i didn't know. Commercials on CATV, I forgot.

So not used to commercials these days. Netflix. , internet; could you imaging if your "internet site" just started blaring a commercial OMG they'd lose hits.

FM radio is ruined everywhere i drive. FM is dead. I think 1 good station can revive the FM band simply because of the signal fidelity and mobility.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After years of plotting and planning we finally pulled the plug this fall on cable. We now pay $65 for our internet with all of it's taxes & fees loaded in, $40 for Hulu Live which gives us all of the local (New York) network stations as well as all of the cable news channels, Amazon Prime & Netflix round out the selections.

For about $50 less per month we have a whole ****load of programing as well as all of the local access we were afraid we would lose with getting rid of cable. Aside from a few buffering issues we've been very happy.

Also, Hulu Live includes 40 hours of DVR service where you can have it set up to record your shows commercial free - all included!

Old 02-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The dump cable movement is in full swing...

Land lines on phones too. Next if you have unlimited data on phone you can hotspot internet.

Amazon, Google, and Apple healthcare next....

Old 02-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We did the phone years ago - Magic Jack.

We effectively own the land line numbers with unlimited use for $99/five years or less than $2/month. Does SNET even exist any more? LOL

Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Direct TV upped me from $76 to $134 (one year agreement expired)
Called and got some moron, told him I wanted to keep Direct, help me out, make me a deal.
Fast forward 30 days, Dish is arriving at noon to install new stuff.
Made one more call to Direct.
Bill went back to $76 + free HBO and reduced my ATT cell bill $15.00 month and gave me unlimited data.
Had to call Dish back and cancel install.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought Dish and DirecTV were the same company now?

I called DirecTV a year ago and told them my bill was too high. The guy said “fine, we’ll cancel your service,” and hung up.

I signed up with Spectrum Cable and bundled my internet and saved $70 (!!) a month. Plus - now I have all the pay channels. Meanwhile, DirecTV keeps sending me letters about how much they “miss” me. Sure you do...

Old 02-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I called Directv about a month ago to cancel my $130 a month service. I just dont really use it enough to justify the cost. Between Netflix, and the sports subscriptions I have through the internet. They said I was eligible for a discount that knocked the bill down to $55 a month for a year. So I held onto it. Of course they "find" a discount for me when I want to cancel.

Fast-forward to now. Im moving so I call again to cancel. They offer me $8 a month for a year. No extra contract I can still cancel at any time.

I think Im going to call back in a week and see if they offer to send me a hooker.
Yep, the last few years it was the same for us. Tell them you want to cancel and all the sudden the bill goes from $120 to $60. But that only lasts a few months and it creeps right back up again.

Went through this yo-yo monkey business for a couple years and finally last year we just said forget it. Switched over to Sling TV and never looked back. Couldn't be happier $20-something a month and that's it. Long as you have a smart TV and a fast internet, you're in business.

I'll never be going back to any satellite TV setup. If Sling goes belly up, or internet starts charging off download usage, I'll just stop watching TV all together. I only get to sit down once or twice a week to watch it anyway.