Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default Tin Indian

I am a long time customer of Ames. However I am looking at the taller valve covers that Tin Indian Performance sells. has anyone here dealt with them, and how was the experience. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Talk to Cliff Ruggles

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got an email saying the website was going to be down or they were taking a break.

Not sure if they are back.

I read on 2 occasions the price on the website differed from the price at check out and they went to get a refund and were told to pound sand.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

".... and they went to get a refund and were told to pound sand."

NOT THE FIRST TIME !!!!!

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76TA462 View Post
I am a long time customer of Ames. However I am looking at the taller valve covers that Tin Indian Performance sells. has anyone here dealt with them, and how was the experience. Thanks.
There pretty good.....never had a problem!

GTO George

Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience was not good, poor customer support and some of their products are also made cheap.

I would not recommend them, spend your money elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When looking you want one that has a thick and rigid billet rail mounting surface. A poor quality would be a flimsy stamped rail.

Last edited by Steve C.; 02-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They are absolutely the worst vendor that I have attempted to do business with in my entire life. They lied to me on the phone, ripped me off by charging double what the postage was, over-charged me for the part, and then cursed at me when I tried to have them correct their "error" (which was false advertising).

OBTW, their intake manifold gaskets are a rip off off SCE Gaskets, cut from a template using card stock.

I posted about my "customer service" experience with them after it happened. There are a lot of great suppliers out there, Tin Indian isn't one of them.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...11#post5708211

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Senior Chief

Interesting stuff. I received a pricing email form them, and quite different from their website. Does anyone know of a valve cover similar to their Billet-TEK. Their product looks good, and I don't mind paying fair price, but there seems to be some red flags here, and this is more of a want than a need.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Interesting stuff. I received a pricing email form them, and quite different from their website. Does anyone know of a valve cover similar to their Billet-TEK. Their product looks good, and I don't mind paying fair price, but there seems to be some red flags here, and this is more of a want than a need.
A buddy of mine that I'm building a motor for just ordered a pair of these. I haven't physically seen them yet but may be of interest to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fab...56?_mwBanner=1

Old 02-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"They are absolutely the worst vendor that I have attempted to do business with in my entire life."

Probably mentored by Steve Kauffman !

Old 02-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
You can bet that you will end up paying the higher of the two listed prices, and maybe even a price higher than that if you use pay-pal and don't reconcile the price at checkout with the web-site. That is how they got me. I use the "one click" option with pay-pal, and they bill more than what the web-site shows. And then cuss you out when you bring it up to them....and charge you double the postage. I'm lucky that I learned my lesson with them on some fairly inexpensive products. Others haven't been as fortunate. They had to take the review portion off their facebook page because they were getting so many 1 star reviews and were cussing out their clients in the comments section.

If you want a company that will stand behind their product, go with the guys in the link below. They have a LOT of valve cover options. Even if it isn't something they personally make, they will stand behind it. They also have fantastic customer service and tech support.

https://butlerperformance.com/c-1234...ve-covers.html

Just FYI, make sure you have good clearance from your brake booster before going with these. Plug wire lengths can also be an issue.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Last edited by Navy Horn 16; 02-07-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:53 PM

I bought the black PRW covers with PONTIAC engraving from Tin Indian and only had one issue. They forgot to ship the gaskets, so I e-mailed and got a swift response. At first they didn't want to believe me, but the gaskets showed up the next week.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
My only experience with them is they blew me off when I emailed them about one of their products. I took my money else where. bt

Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the prompt to look at Butler. Contacted them and received a good customer relations type response (that has value), pricing that matched their web site, and some answers to other questions. I have bought from them before, but didn't see the tall valve covers when I did a quick search. I know where I will buying from :>)

Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Hard to go wrong with David Butler and Butler Performance people in general.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone can make an honest mistake but what happens after that is what is most important. Over the years Butler Performance has given me great technical assistance, they have great products and you will be hard pressed to find better customer service anywhere.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:00 AM
Senior Chief

I'm also very pleased with Butler products and service. I use their "2 3/4" Short Plain Fab Aluminum Valve Covers" and they fit perfect and look really nice.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 AM

well, I'm glad I ran across this thread. Was starting to shop for new valve covers. Guess I'll stick with Butler who has been great with all of my previous purchases.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Senior Chief

A somewhat related question. I will be replacing my current valve covers with the Butler ones for sure now. For my current set-up I am using a valve cover breather on each side and no problems. A while back I installed a WFO-2 drop base so that the OEM set-up with a breather hose from the passenger side OEM valve cover to the air breather base no longer exists. I recently saw a set-up where the guy drilled a hole in the side of the Drop Base and vented the valve cover breather to the air filter base similar to the OEM set-up with the small foam filter on the inside of the breather base. I am using baffled grommets for my valve cover breathers so have no oil seepage. I had planned and prefer to use the same set-up I have now (2 breathers and one oil filler cap) on the Butler Valve Covers. Is there any performance advantage to adding the OEM style breather hose from valve cover to air breather base? Or am I fine without it? Thanks.