Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Awesome garage door hinges

Hey guys I bought some garage door hinges that I wish I knew about years ago. They're called Green Hinge System and they work by taking the slop out of the door and pressing it up to the seal. I installed three sets this weekend and was shocked how well they work keeping the heat out and a bonus I didn't expect was how they made the garage so much quieter. Check out the door and how it's up against the frame and the other of the hinge itself. They're made in USA and by an average guy wanting make his garage warmer. This winter will be so much nicer with the snow staying outside instead of coming around the door. Even with the door adjusted as tight as possible the wind just pushed around the seal and snow came in. I know I sound weird but if any of you are like me and like a warm or cool garage you need to check them out. www.GreenHingeSystem.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	485245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	485246  

Old 06-14-2018, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Neat!
I'll look into this!
Thanks!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, interesting idea.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.greenhingesystem.com/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Green-Hin...&wl13=&veh=sem

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not use those. It will for sure beat the hell out of the thin rubber on the outside weather strips.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
I would not use those. It will for sure beat the hell out of the thin rubber on the outside weather strips.
Where did you get that info? Do you have any experience with these? The hinges seal the door against the frame and the solid portion of the weatherstrip retainer as any properly sealed door should, and not against the weather strip. I installed a set of these six years ago; they work great and the vinyl weatherstrip is still in excellent condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	485292   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	485293  

Old 06-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, my door has weather strip on the outside of the frame. Door seats against door frame, weather strip seals the door from the outside. It can't beat on the weatherstrip any more than my door normally would.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son owns a Door company. He said they wont wear out the seals. But a properly installed track system should not need them. FWIW

Old 06-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried to adjust the tracks and take up the built in slop and the tracks are riveted at a pre-determined height away from the door frame. The other problem is the track is wider than the rollers and getting them to ride against the back of the track isn't able to be done by adjusting the track. Believe me unless you have a set of the new hinges you wont understand.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably varies by door brand and installation, I can adjust my wheels to change the clearance to the door frame. Pretty much in contact with the frame, and all the weatherstrip makes full contact on the outside, couldn't really be sealed much tighter. But for a shop with larger doors, frames that aren't perfectly straight, or worn or non-adjustable tracks/wheels ... seems like they would be a good idea.