THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ouch, brand new GT 500 with a engine knock.

https://youtu.be/sG95h_I5xLA
How much are these cars?

Old 01-11-2020, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ford will be all over that clip, hope that not a dealer posting it.

TOM
Old 01-11-2020, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hand built... with pride?

Old 01-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Ford will be all over that clip, hope that not a dealer posting it.
Much like GM does.

On the flipside, at least GM waits about 10,000 miles for their engine noises to start.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Video removed.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That’s probably an $80k car?

I mean things happen and we don’t know the back story but looks bad

Old 01-11-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
we don’t know the back story
That's the crux of it...based on a 30 second video of a car making a noise, no one can tell what's actually happened. Maybe it is a rod knock, maybe not. Maybe it only has four miles on it, maybe not. Maybe someone abused the car, maybe not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With the commentary, it didn't sound like they were the owner(s)?
More like someone with a vendetta?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-11-2020, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Man the things I saw people do to new cars when I worked at car dealerships was crazy.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Man the things I saw people do to new cars when I worked at car dealerships was crazy.
Your not kidding: Three little examples of how new cars were delivered to my Pontiac dealer. 1. Three carrier loads of Pontiac Sunbirds, all exactly the same, for the local power company DP&L. Dark green exteriors Paint so thin/so bad, primer showing. All the cars had to be repainted below the beltline in the body shop. 2. Grand Prix on top level of carrier. Driver gets in, pulls out of park and car flies off carrier and smashes into retaining wall. Heavy damage. Master cylinder was stolen in transit to dealer. 3. My favorite: Turbo Trans AM 301 delivered to dealer, driven off truck and presented to me for pre-delivery. It had 7 pistons installed at the factory! One piston and rod were missing entirely. Low oil pressure, smoke and a hell of a mis-fire. But built, installed and delivered that way? Tech put one piston, rod, and bearing in it, a couple gaskets and it was sold as a new car. That's the way it was done in the late 70's early 80's.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Suspended

A friend of mine was a Mopar dealer mechanic back in the Hemi muscle car days. The stories he has told me are priceless.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Video removed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OemY2c2qEzk

Old 01-11-2020, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One of the worst I heard of ( but never saw) was at a friends dodge/Chrysler dealer in the 90’s. Make ready guys would put the water hose up the exhaust pipe of a neon, wait a second and then floor it so it would shoot one giant burst of water out.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
3. My favorite: Turbo Trans AM 301 delivered to dealer, driven off truck and presented to me for pre-delivery. It had 7 pistons installed at the factory! One piston and rod were missing entirely. Low oil pressure, smoke and a hell of a mis-fire. But built, installed and delivered that way? Tech put one piston, rod, and bearing in it, a couple gaskets and it was sold as a new car. That's the way it was done in the late 70's early 80's.
I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but how would that even be possible!?
Wow, that would be several checkpoints that it would have had to go through, and then they were driven out from assembly...
wow, just wow.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From an ex Chevy service mgr. New S/S 396 Chevelle with what sounded like a rod knock. Decision made to go run the living hell out of it and then warranty the engine when it blew. Came back sounding great. Sold as new.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the early 70s, my dad bought a late 60s Chevrolet four door sedan to tow his small camper at a dealer's auction. It always had a rattle or thumping sound coming from one corner of the car. He got into a minor accident, and insurance paid to have the bumper and rear quarter panel fixed. He told the body shop to look for the source of the noise.

A few days later, he got a call to come see the car, the body shop found the source of the noise. While the car was being assembled, somebody put a glass Coke botle into the rear and then welded the quarter panel over it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
In the early 70s, my dad bought a late 60s Chevrolet four door sedan to tow his small camper at a dealer's auction. It always had a rattle or thumping sound coming from one corner of the car. He got into a minor accident, and insurance paid to have the bumper and rear quarter panel fixed. He told the body shop to look for the source of the noise.

A few days later, he got a call to come see the car, the body shop found the source of the noise. While the car was being assembled, somebody put a glass Coke botle into the rear and then welded the quarter panel over it.
Seen that before. Took the rear interior panel off a newly purchased 78 Mustang II for a rattle. Several Coke cans back there, sprayed with undercoating.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:36 AM

Looks like the guy lost his job over this video

Chris Silverman
Thanks for stealing this video from my Facebook page, and helping it go viral. I lost my job of 21 years for this. Greatly appreciated.

THEDEVILSDEMON
1 day ago (edited)
That was probably the worst decision you made in your life taking a video like this and posting it to Facebook. Not smart man

Chris Silverman
22 hours ago
Yes, it probably was. And thanks to great humans like you, I got screwed.

THEDEVILSDEMON
22 hours ago (edited)
@Chris Silverman take the fault like a man. You make a mistake you own up to it. This one cost you your career. It's nobodies fault but your own. You posted a video you shouldn't have on social media. We both know there is a privacy setting on Facebook right? If it wasn't supposed to be seen by 902927644758696736252 people on Facebook you should have prevented that

Chris Silverman
19 hours ago
Oh I own up to it, but I never expected it to be stolen off my page by a guy that probably has never had a real job, and lives in mommy's basement. Scumbag.

THEDEVILSDEMON
19 hours ago
@Chris Silverman you're great at insults. Maybe you should try being a comedian next 😂

atom atom
16 hours ago
Chris. I was the guy from Detroit that showed up to look at the engine. You were leaving when I was looking at it. I really felt bad for you... I hope you were able to find another job at another dealership. Take care bud..

EclipseInID 2017
12 hours ago
Chris Silverman You have GOT to be kidding with those outrageous insults. Textbook projection here, YOU screwed up, NOT anyone else. Have you never used the internet in your life?? I mean, just dumb. Don't go around insulting others for your mistakes, it makes you look incredibly stupid and childish.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He put it out there for all to see, including insolent comments. Now he's paying for his indiscretion.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but how would that even be possible!?
Wow, that would be several checkpoints that it would have had to go through, and then they were driven out from assembly...
wow, just wow.
This is probably not the place to elaborate. But if you want to PM me, I can provide more detail. I was a first year technician and did not do the actual repair, but I did do some of the diagnosis. Your right, just incredible. What I would have given for a cell phone camera in those days! The look on the technicians face when he pulled the head was priceless.