Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-13-2020, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default New distriutor

I'm in need for some info. Have a 67 GTO with points distributor. would like to install Electronic distributor, Just got a Parts place in dash tach. They say can use with pertronix ignitor ignition systems. Do I need to run new wire to replace resistor wire?

Old 01-13-2020, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, a continuous 12 volt source with ignition key on in run and start.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:18 AM
Senior Chief

One simple solution is to install a relay triggered off your existing resistance wire. This way you or anybody down the road can easily go back to a points dist if they ever choose to. Side benefit is not having to track down or splice into a 12v keyed ignition source. You can get a waterproof 12v Bosch style relay with pigtail harness and mount for under $10 online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8E16867-0D61-459A-A268-3A56E3D8218A.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	528812  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just run a CD/MSD box with points, its just better. Nothing to fail and leave you stranded. If the MSD box does fail, switch a couple wires around and drive home.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 with the above even though it cost a tad more.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Just run a CD/MSD box with points, its just better. Nothing to fail and leave you stranded. If the MSD box does fail, switch a couple wires around and drive home.
ditto

Old 01-14-2020, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoat View Post
I'm in need for some info. Have a 67 GTO with points distributor. would like to install Electronic distributor, Just got a Parts place in dash tach. They say can use with pertronix ignitor ignition systems. Do I need to run new wire to replace resistor wire?
Yes. What I do is remove the bulk head plug at the firewall and push the resistor wire out of the bulk head. I keep a supply of the bulkhead terminals, and use one for a larger gauge wire. I then crimp a new proper gauge wire in the terminal, along with the original resistor wire. That way both wires are available if you ever find the need to switch back. Best part is when done it all looks stock.

Run both wires through the harness just as the resistor wire was. Now you have the choice of a full 12 volts or the resistor wire. I still use the factory wire from the "R" terminal on the starter to have a full 12 volt while cranking, which your car, being points originally, should already be equipped with.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You're asking for advice that can't be given without knowing what Pertronix unit you're going to use and what coil you're going to use.

Original points coil will still use the factory resistance wire.

Lots of trash talk here at PY about Pertronix failure. Most all of it can be traced back to improper installation and/or improper wiring.

Clay

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 01-14-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: and/or
Old 01-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know, you're right about a lot of failures, but that many improper installs is harder to believe. I mean it's pretty straight forward, they'll tell you if they want 12 volts or not, and the reluctor wheel gap is pretty hard to screw up, but they've made that deal even easier now.
Probably the biggest mistake made is how someone goes about finding a reliable 12 volt source and whether they also have it while cranking or not. A lot of guys building these cars using new harnesses now have the option of coming ready to go for electronic ignition making things even easier. American Auto Wire is one place that offers the harness both ways.
There is really nothing overly complicated about installing one. It's just that todays electronics are so hit and miss anymore. I've had them work fine in some cars and the exact same units not work so well in other cars.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
One simple solution is to install a relay triggered off your existing resistance wire. This way you or anybody down the road can easily go back to a points dist if they ever choose to. Side benefit is not having to track down or splice into a 12v keyed ignition source. You can get a waterproof 12v Bosch style relay with pigtail harness and mount for under $10 online.
Great solution, thanks. Question though, in your diagram you show a fuse between the battery and the number 30 terminal. Could you tell me if its an in-line fuse, what amp, etc. to use for this?

Thanks

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 01-15-2020, 02:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had 2 sets of points in my 455 since 1990. The last set was installed over a dozen years ago and I did it just because, but they were fine.
I have run that 62 iron distributor up to 8K on a Sun machine, never skipped a beat.
There is a Mallory HyFire in the for sale section for 85$ shipped. That would do the trick. Been thinking about snagging it just because.
But its there if someone wants to do the points CD box thing.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

Or, I bought a reman, HEI, for around 80$.

I call it a rat sleeper.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455rebel View Post
And hope you get a Chinese product that works, or at least works for more than a couple years. I eluded to that issue in an earlier post.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
Great solution, thanks. Question though, in your diagram you show a fuse between the battery and the number 30 terminal. Could you tell me if its an in-line fuse, what amp, etc. to use for this?

Thanks
Sorry- I forgot that was in there when I grabbed that diagram to modify the text. It was the same diagram I used to depict the headlight relay mod for brighter headlights and bypassing the old factory wiring.

Some people seem to say you can run a 30A, others say they run no fuse because the amperage normally varies from as little 1.5A running to 20A starting depending on rpm. I run nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
Sorry- I forgot that was in there when I grabbed that diagram to modify the text. It was the same diagram I used to depict the headlight relay mod for brighter headlights and bypassing the old factory wiring.

Some people seem to say you can run a 30A, others say they run no fuse because the amperage normally varies from as little 1.5A running to 20A starting depending on rpm. I run nothing.
Sorry, one more question. Relays seen to have single pole and dual pole/throw styles available. Which did you use/recommend for ignition?

Thanks!

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 01-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455rebel View Post
HEI moduals can fail and leave you on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.
Points/CD always can work. You can have a new use ed/not needed condenser under the cap. CD fails, hook it back up and drive home. Points do not really wear with CD ignition.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
HEI moduals can fail and leave you on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.
Points/CD always can work. You can have a new use ed/not needed condenser under the cap. CD fails, hook it back up and drive home. Points do not really wear with CD ignition.
Anything can fail. A backup plan is great if you're concerned about such things. Having a backup hei module in the glovebox works just as well to solve a problem that doesn't exist yet.
My MSD module has been working perfectly for 10 years. I don't carry a backup.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Senior Chief

Entropy, do you have a link to that relay?

Old 01-15-2020, 10:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
Sorry, one more question. Relays seen to have single pole and dual pole/throw styles available. Which did you use/recommend for ignition?

Thanks!
Quote:
Entropy, do you have a link to that relay?
Here’s a direct link to a 5 pack for $25. I hope direct links to external sites are ok here... if not I apologize. I’m sure you can spend much more but I’ve had these on 3 cars in 2 places each with no problems. Do you need waterproof? Probably not. Do you need a 5 pack? I’d say so because a single is $10 and you probably want a spare at least. Do you need 12 AWG? I’d say yes as some are 16 AWG and that’s light.

5 PACK 40/30 AMP 12 V DC Waterproof Relay and Harness - Heavy Duty 12 AWG Tinned Copper Wires, 5-PIN SPDT Bosch Style Automotive Relay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074FSZWVT..._hI8hEbA98P0GV

You could run a 4 or 5 pin I believe. I grabbed the 5’s for whatever reason. You can wire them as positive or also ground trigger for other applications and there is a normally open and normally closed terminal. The diagram above uses the normally open terminal. You can usually hide these somewhere so they’re not noticed, and also pull the relay out and toss it in your pocket if you store your car somewhere and worry about it. Cheap simple anti-theft lol.

On my latest addition (‘68 GTO) it was the pink/black stripe and black/yellow stripe (I think). It was only the other week but I’ve since done so much with that car and wires I forget... haha, sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

You can also get the same thing through Pertronix (PN: 2001). I think they charge $35-40 (for 1). Their install instructions give some insight, but the colors they reference below won’t match up with every install.

https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/4472001.pdf