The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-12-2020, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TIG Welder

Can anyone recommend a good TIG welder that’s not gonna break the bank? Going to be using it for sheet metal work for the most part.
Thank you!

Old 04-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most "Good" TIGs are not cheap. There are some smaller name brand inverter units now in the sub $2000 range, most will not do AC, so aluminum and some exotics are out. Suitable power for sheet metal, usually include stick hook ups too.

For the off brand stuff there are some very low priced units, I personally can't comment on their quality since I've never used one, but some people use them and find them good machines.

Any Miller, Lincoln, ESAB will be fine machines ... but quite pricey.

This is a sweet little unit from Miller:
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...welders-m30132

Similar offering from Lincoln
https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)

Some people like the Everlast machines, they certainly do a lot for the money, but I've heard about problems getting them fixed, or replacement parts etc.

Finding a good TIG machine for less than $1000 ... don't know what your budget is ... will be tough.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if I could get a decent one to get me through, I’d go up to $1000 but of course $50 would be great too,lol. Some guys like the Eastwood DC unit which would be fine but when I read the reviews I get scared away!!

Old 04-12-2020, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TIG starts to get pricey when the High Frequency start gets added. Without that you touch the tungsten to the work to get an arc established. Which I think is what the Miller info calls Lift-arc. That works but you have to be very quick and smooth to keep a good point on the tungsten. If you are not good enough you leave a spot of tungsten in the work and don't have the nice sharp point that makes arc control better. For sheet metal work that little tungsten inclusion may be no big deal. But don't do in aircraft work.

Cheaper welders probably won't mention this. But as usual, you get what you pay for.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had the TIG below since Nov 2017 and have not had a single issue. It's welded everything I have thrown at it, from thin to thick, including a corner weld of 1/2" to 3/8" aluminum I recently did.
LOTS of options and great performance for the price! Including high frequency.

I looked at Millers, but A) you pay a lot extra for the blue paint. B) They had a reputation of popping motherboards & C) The motherboard only had a 6 month warranty and cost $1000 to replace.

2018 AHP AlphaTIG 200X 200 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder with PULSE 110v 220v 3 YEARS WARRANTY

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
The Following User Says Thank You to Speargun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for the info. I have a guy with a Lincoln Squarewave TIG 200 he’s selling. Looks brand new. He’s asking $1200. I’m wondering which is the better deal.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Primeweld and Vulcan have consistently good reviews for cheap welders. Vulcan I have no experience with, however I did recently buy a Primeweld plasma cutter that I'm very happy with.

I own 2 Lincoln Migs, that I've had zero trouble with, and a Linde stick welder that has been trouble free since 1975. It was probably 100% built in the USA at that time.

I would have liked to buy a Lincoln plasma cutter, but just couldn't afford the price. I did some research on the cheaper alternatives and found good reviews for Vulcan and Primeweld. Primeweld has the better warranty (3 years, and 24/7 tech line), so I bought the Primeweld. So far zero complaints, and half the price of a Lincoln.

As with anything made in China, there is little quality control, and they just have a built in failure rate, at least the 3 year warranty gives you a fighting chance for a good machine, or a replacement, just in case.

Vulcan has the option to purchase an extended warranty, (Harbor Freight) but Primewelds is included in the price. If I remember correctly Vulcan is an India country of origin machine, but doubtful the components aren't made in China. They are ISO certified though, so you can be the judge of what that amounts to.

Most of the Primeweld machines run on dual voltage, 110 or 220, good when you have to work outside of your regular shop, or you're somewhere that you only have a generator for power that feature can be useful.

Good luck on your hunt...............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://primeweld.com/products/ct520...15417583632472
This appears to be a plasma,Stick, and TIG.
It’s actually less than the one that’s just Stick and TIG. Kinda hard not to save a boatload if cash to give it a try.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been seriously thinking about one of the Chinese machines myself, despite my shop only having Red and Blue in it. I want to try a variable frequency, pulse capable, inverter TIG machine ... and I don't have $8000 to spend on Red or Blue to get one. Can get a Chinese type with a reasonable reputation for $1500.

Speargun ... my Miller SyncroWave (about 20 years old) .... did blow two motherboards ... cost $500 each (17 years ago), just out of warranty, 2nd one blew with a year of the first one .... third one has lasted 17 years. So yeah, sometime the quality for the big brands isn't what it cracked up to be. Gotta admit both my Lincolns have never had a single issue though.

That Alpha is just what I'm looking for.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m leaning toward the alpha. It’s more but Speargun has experienced good results. Tough call.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a Lincoln TIG 200 a few years ago for $1300-ish brand new from Lincoln when they had a tent at Sun-N-Fun. Great unit for the money. Goes up to 150Hz AC. Comes with a TIG torch, gas regulator, stick holder, 2 power cords for 120V or 240V.
https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...incolnElectric

Old 04-12-2020, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guy wants $1200 for his TIG 200

Old 04-12-2020, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was a good deal on the Lincoln, I think with the accessories those go for about $1900.

Didn't realize that was variable frequency, and appears to be pulse too. That's a lot of technology for the price.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough call

Old 04-12-2020, 09:41 PM
Suspended

I've had a Lincoln Squarewave tig 200 for three years now and it is a good machine IMO.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish this guy would come down a little.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's lightly used, it's close to as good as new, the Lincolns last a long time. Do all the accessories come with it?

Old 04-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes everything comes with it. He said he’d throw in a CK Worldwide torch with it.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:23 AM
Suspended

Alpha Tig and Everlast do give you a lot of features for about half the price of red or blue machines and most people who buy them seem to have good luck with them. I pondered long hard before shelling out for the Squarewave 200 instead of an Everlast or Aplha machine. You may know of this site but if you don't you can read about peoples experiences with machines, and pretty much anything else welding, and it may help you decide.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/

Once you get something this guy comes out with a new video every week, and has been doing it for years, showing people how to do it. He doesn't screw around bumping his gums he just gets right into it. He was a certified welding pretty much everything at Delta Airlines before he retired.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Last edited by 61-63; 04-13-2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks John, I’m gonna check them both out