Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any Experience With This ?

Today, I looked up an oil filter on the NAPA website. It was their cheaper line, but made by WIX. Part #21348. Online price was, and still is $3.14.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SFI21348

It showed to be in stock at my local NAPA store. So, I went in to buy a couple. The guy laid 'em up on the counter, rang 'em up & said the total would be 12 dollars & some cents.

Well, I'm not a math whiz, but I do know that two $3.14 filters, with tax added, do not add up to over $12. I mentioned that I'd checked the price less than a hour earlier, & it was $3.14. But, he said that according to his computer system, he had to charge me the price he'd told me. So, I passed on the NAPA filters & bought some Motorcraft filters @ Wal Mart, for $3.97 each.

That $3.97 price was exactly what was/is showing on the WM website.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcraf...L910S/33678518

BUT, I was gonna buy a jug of QS full synthetic 5W30 oil. while there. It was/is shown online for $17.12 + tax, which is cheaper than the Super Tech brand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-St...uart/177257743

BUT, the shelf price was nearly $21, which was more than a dollar higher than the Super Tech was marked. So, I bought the Super Tech, which was $19.68 + tax. That's the same price that's listed in the WM parts lists.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...uarts/17133942

Well, when I got back home, I went online to check the prices again. The NAPA 21348 was still $3.14. So, just for kicks, I began a trial order. Added enuff filters to get the $35 order free shipping deal. It showed that I could have 'em shipped to me or pick 'em up at the store, for $3.14 + tax, each. Then I started an order for just one filter. Said I could buy online & pick it up at the store. for $3.14 +tax.

Therefore, I assume that SOME of the NAPA online prices are lower than local NAPA shelf prices. BUT, I have to also assume that IF you pay for the parts online, then the local store MUST let you have the part, if they have it in stock. Does anybody here have any experience with this situation, when buying from NAPA ?

Apparently, this was not the case back last fall. I bought one of the cheap filters, for the cheap price.

Same question for buying online from Wal Mart. I started a purchase for a jug of the QS oil. I was charged the online price, rather than the shelf price. I suppose that if I'd completed the online purchase, I could have then picked up the jug of oil at the store.

To further confuse me, the Motorcraft filters I bought, were exactly the same price online, as the shelf price.

So, in both cases, I suppose the question is, do the local NAPA & WM stores have to let those who pay online, have the items, if they are in stock ?

If the local stores must let online buyers have the in-stock items, I could have saved several dollars today, if I had bought online, then picked up the parts at the stores. If this is the case, I'll plan ahead next time & save a little.

Anybody have a similar experience ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-22-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:05 PM
Senior Chief

At Wal-Mart if you show the check out the online price they will honor that price.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We buy some supplies from Office Depot, computer ink, etc. We always check the online price 1st and then go to the store. They ring it up and the walk in price is always higher then the online price. We ask for the online price and they'll honor it

Old 02-22-2022, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooskidoo View Post
At Wal-Mart if you show the check out the online price they will honor that price.
That won't work at our local NAPA.

But, if this is correct about WM, that's good news !

But, I don't have a smart phone to call up the WM website & show the cashier the online price.

So, would it work to make a copy of the online listing & show that to them ? Or would they just assume your copy was doctored some way ?

Is there some way, other than using a smart phone, to prove to the cashier what the online price is.

As of right now, the only way I can see that should definitely work is to buy & pay for the item, online, then pick it up at the store. That way, the local store has no say whatsoever about the price you pay.

I'll probably be trying this method in the VERY near future, both @ WM & my local NAPA store. I'm real interested in what the guy @ NAPA says. I assure ya'll, he WILL remember me, after he had to walk to the back room & fetch the filters, ring 'em up, then I wouldn't buy 'em.

I'm guessing that if I buy online & pick up at the store, those guys probably won't even know how much I paid, & won't care.

After I make the online purchases, I'll post the results here.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Been standard practice for some stores for years to charge different prices for the same product depending on retail store or online. And often they will offer online specials, and items not available in the retail stores.

From what I gather a brands online and retail businesses are basically separate enterprises. They have different costs involved, different marketing, different sales goals.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Results

OK, I tried to buy the oil from WM & the filters from NAPA, online.

You can use PayPal to buy from WM, @ the online price, then pick up @ your local WM. Can even get curb service.

I bought 2 jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 full synthetic. Notice said it will be ready for curbside pickup by 11 am today. The reason i bought 2 jugs of Pennzoil is because a friend told me about the deal Pennzoil has going.

If you buy 2 jugs at a time, then send in proof of purchase, you get a $25 gift card rebate. Basically, that makes it a "Buy one, get one free"deal. So, each jug will end up costing me about $13 or so. That's as cheap as I can buy the conv/syn blend oil.

I'll soon have to change the oil/filter in my sister's pickup & our JD lawn tractor. So, I'll use most of the 2 jugs soon.

The deal says that each household can use this rebate offer twice. And it's good thru 10/31 of this year. So, I may buy a couple of more jugs near the end of the period, unless I run across a better deal of some sort.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promo...S9PMjIxN18yMi8

The online purchase of the NAPA filters is a different story. NAPA will NOT let me pay online with either a credit card or thru PayPal. I MUST pay in the store. And, although the online price is $3.14, they have theirselves covered by this statement.

"...Prices may vary by store and on NAPA Online. NAPA AUTO PARTS is not responsible for any errors or omissions in pricing or quality..."

That means that the local NAPA stores can charge whatever they want to charge, regardless of the online price shown.

Oh well, I'll just buy the Motorcraft filters, for $3.97 + tax. Don't know when that price will increase.

After lookin up some crossover part numbers for the filter our Tacoma takes, I found a Purolator TL10241 filter, for $2.26 + tax, @ Amazon. I assume it's just their base quality filter. Anybody use this "Tech" line of Purolator filters ?

https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-TL1.../dp/B01LG7SEBC

I've discovered that our JD lawn tractor can use the same filter our Tacoma uses. The original filter is real short. But the longer Motorcraft FL-910s & the 10241 Purolator filters will work. I looked at our JD mower last night. There is plenty of room to use the longer filters.

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-23-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Several of the local parts stores will not honor the online pricing.
I just explained it seems silly that they are being dissolved by the company they franchise from and walk out.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's same deal as when there used to be tons of brick and mortar "outlet" stores. The regular retail stores would not honor the price of the outlet stores. With one you are dealing with the corporation, the other you are dealing with the franchisee.

Think about it ... if the local store honors the online price they make way less profit, but still had to take delivery of that item, store it, inventory it, pay a counter guy to go get it off the shelf and ring it up. Kind of like walking in a bar an expecting a beer to cost the same as it does in the grocery store.

Items are priced in a way to cover the handling of that item ... a retail outlet has way different costs than a warehouse shipping an item out. Heck a warehouse may have ten pallets of an item they need to move, the retail outlet might have just three items.

I typically just buy the online item, since I'm already on the website looking at the price. Saves me a trip into town and the time and costs associated with that.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...I typically just buy the online item, since I'm already on the website looking at the price. Saves me a trip into town and the time and costs associated with that."

Yeah, unless I need it quick, I buy from Amazon, unless an Ebay seller has a better price.

BUT, some things are just not any cheaper, online, IF you have to pay shipping. LOTS of Ebay sellers show a really low price for the item, but make up for it with a high shipping charge. I suppose they assume that some dummy will order without noticing the shipping charge.

Paid for 2 jugs of Pennzoil & a jug of antifreeze at WM online today. Went to the local WM to pick it up. The last & only time before this that I ordered online for a store pickup, I had to go all the way to the back of the store. Back there was a big "Pickup" sign, over some doors to a storage area.

So, I assumed I'd do it the same way today. WRONG ! Got to the back & the "Pickup" sign was still there. But when I asked an employee, she said I'd have to go back outside & call the pickup department on the phone. Well, that presented 2 problems. I didn't have a cell phone with me & I had no idea what number to call. So, she told me to go to the service desk.

The lady at the service desk didn't know what to tell me. So, she called a supervisor over & asked her. She was told to call the pickup dept for me, which she did. She then told me I'd have to park in the pickup area & wait for someone to bring my order to me. While saying this she pointed in a southernly direction towards the SW corner of the building.

So, I went out, got in my truck & pulled up to the side of the building, almost right under the big word "Pickup". The curb was red & there were several "No Parking Tow Away Zone" signs there. But, since I thought I was following instructions, I ASSUMED it was OK to park there, while waiting for your pickup order, WRONG !

After about 20 minutes of waiting, I finally decided that something wasn't right. I cruised slowly thru part of the parking lot, looking for signs that might mention pickup. But, the signs were mostly for handicap parking & some reserved VIP employee parking spots.

So, I made a big loop back around to the SW corner of the building. I spotted a car parked on the South side of the building. Looked like a WM employee was at the driver side, with a cart of some kind. So, I drove slowly past them. Then I saw several parking spots, which had signs in front of them, next to the building, which had the pickup dept phone number on 'em.

But, you could not see these signs unless you were driving EAST along the very southern most edge of the parking lot. That's where the delivery trucks have to drive in order to get behind the building to unload.

Anyhow, I finally figured out that's where the service desk lady was trying to tell me to park. So, I pulled into one of the parking spots. Sure nuff, the lady asked my name, then went back inside, thru the same door I had used when I delivered milk to them. She came back out with my online order. Nothin to it, if you know how to do it !

I bought the 2 jugs of Pennzoil, in order to get the $25 rebate card. So, now I gotta figure out how to send in proof of purchase & apply for my rebate. Once I get the rebate, it'll be like a "buy one, get one free" deal. But, it will probably take a few eeks to get the rebate.

So, I've learned a few new things this week.

(1) @ WM, SOME items are the same price online AND in the store. BUT, some are NOT.

(2) Learned the exact procedure for buying @ WM online & picking the order up at my local WM store.

(3) Learned that my local NAPA store does NOT honor NAPA Online prices. And, I can't buy the cheap WIX made "ProSelect" filters online. MUST by @ my local store & pay their price for them, in the store. Online price is $3.14, for those I wanted. My local NAPA price is $5.69 for those same filters

I suppose that in order to get any of the NAPA online prices I'd have to order enuff stuff to get free shipping, directly from a NAPA warehouse to my house. Therefore I assume that all inventory @ my local NAPA store is off limits to online buyers.

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-23-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks God I am not a teenager with a paper route any more . I remember counting every penny. Time is a little more valuable now though. I just bear it with a grin...
At least I try!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-25-2022, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"I've discovered that our JD lawn tractor can use the same filter our Tacoma uses. The original filter is real short. But the longer Motorcraft FL-910s & the 10241 Purolator filters will work. I looked at our JD mower last night. There is plenty of room to use the longer filters."

I would be EXTREMELY careful trying to find John Deere parts at local auto parts stores or Walmart that seem to "fit" and using them. Not going to go into great detail here but I've tried that sort of thing over the years to save money or a trip across town to John Deere with horrible results.

Belts top the list, transmission/hydro filters a close second, and I wouldn't even consider a non-OEM oil filter as expensive as the Onan and other engines are in my JD tractors.........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-25-2022, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is one of the cheaper JD series mowers, made to sell at competitive prices, and at the big box stores like HD & Lowes. It has a common Briggs & Stratton engine. Nothing special or "JD ONLY" about the engine, as far as I can tell.

Our last mower was a Craftsman PYT 9000, which also had a B&S engine. For a time, we used the Purolator 10241 filter in it & our 2006 Tacoma.

Looks like this JD mower engine will take the same filter.

Looks like the short 492932s filter comes on most 2 cyl B&S engines. So, there should be lots of aftermarket filters that will work, as well as longer versions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fse...3uyZrHRc_/view

A crossover chart shows that the NAPA 7035 & the longer 1056 filter will work.

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference...TRATTON/492932

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL7035

They have the common 3/4"-16 thread type & just under 3" OD. So, looks like the even longer filters with this same thread & gasket size will work. But, I'll compare 'em closely with the original filter, BEFORE installing a new filter.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL1056

The NAPA 1348 appears to be a 3.4" long version of this filter.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL1348

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-25-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My comments above were certainly NOT directly at any of the lower level John Deere mowers and tractors often sold at box stores, etc.

The real stuff needs to use proprietary John Deere parts, at least in most cases. The few times I've drifted in a different direction I ended up going back to John Deere for correct parts. Case in point, NAPA lists a hydro filter for a JD-318. Just happened to be in there once and asked about it and bought one.

It looked EXACTLY like the OEM filter at a glance. Got home, tore it down to do the filter change and it would NOT screw onto the threads. It appeared to be the same size and thread pitch, but not happening. Now I've got the filter out of the box, my greasy hand prints all over it and it doesn't fit.....off to JD I went to finish the job.

Same thing with belts for the JD-212. You can match them up EXACTLY with NAPA belts to the tee and the variator will NOT work. Off to John Deere I go for their belts........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),