Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-07-2022, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default T-56 Speedo Gear Question

T-56 Trans in a 1973 car. PO had restored the car with period-incorrect 6k Tach and 100 MPH Speedo. I swapped in a ‘correct’ cluster with 8k Tach and 160 Speedo. All gauges work, but speedo is now reading about 33% fast - at 40 mph the speedo reads 60. That all makes sense since the 160 speedo is ‘about’ 33% more than the previous 100 mph speedo. FWIW - the car read accurate speed with the 100 mph speedo.

Here’s the question - on the American Powertrain website, they offer multiple plastic speedo gears in different colors ranging from 16 to 21 teeth. Their calculator only accounts for tire diameter and ring-gear ratio. There is nothing in their speedo gear calculator to accommodate for gauge calibration. So a 26” tire with a 3.73 ring gear and a T-56 ‘should’ use a 21 tooth Red gear - regardless of whether the car has a 100 or a 160 mph speedo - but clearly that is not the case.

Has only one played with this before and does anyone have some direction on which speedo gear I should be using to get the 160 mph speedo closer to the truth??

Thank You!!

Old 03-07-2022, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,I have spare gears if you know what color,1/2 price off their website!Let me know what color.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
FYI,I have spare gears if you know what color,1/2 price off their website!Let me know what color.Tom
It looks the the Red one at 21 teeth has the highest tooth count. I need to pull what’s in there now - but using their online calculator, I’m coming up Red.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure I have one.Will check in the AM.Tom

Old 03-08-2022, 02:34 PM

60/40=1.50. Whatever speedometer gear you have in it now, multiply that many teeth by 1.5 and that is the gear you need.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may need to pull the tailshaft off and replace the DRIVE gear if you're already at the limit with the DRIVEN gear.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtospieg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
You may need to pull the tailshaft off and replace the DRIVE gear if you're already at the limit with the DRIVEN gear.
I’m 99% sure I’ve got the 7 tooth Dive Gear and the Yellow 19 tooth Driven Gear. They offer a 21 tooth (Red) Driven gear and a 23 tooth (White) Driven Gear.

I get the gear count math - and that makes complete sense to me. But I am wondering if the way these gears are set up, you actually get more change to overall speedo reading than straight gear math would suggest based on the mechanical internals of a mechanical speedo. I’m basing this on Tremec’s own graph which shows more dramatic change from gear to gear than straight tooth count would suggest. We’ll see…

Old 03-08-2022, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 2 reds and 2 pinks.Tom

Old 03-09-2022, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My car has 3.73 gears and uses a pink speedo gear and my speedo is within 2 MPH.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankieT/A For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2022, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to figure in tire size also.A 26in tire to a 29 in tire makes a big change.Tom

Old 03-09-2022, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
You need to figure in tire size also.A 26in tire to a 29 in tire makes a big change.Tom
Absolutely. I have run my numbers - tire diameter, final drive, 7-tooth drive gear - through 2 or 3 different online calculators and all of them have me at 20.xx teeth for either the black (20) or red (21) driven gear.

It is interesting that with the ‘incorrect’ gauge cluster, the 100 mph speedometer was within a couple mph of correct. I sourced a very clean 73 cluster with the 8k tach and 160 speedo and she is reading just a touch under 20 mph fast - speedo says 60/62 mph when I am coasting along with traffic on a known 45 mph section of road. The ring gear, tire diameter, drive gear and driven gear are all unchanged. So the 160 mph speedo must be calibrated differently than the 100 speedo.

On one of the websites, they say each tooth on the driven gear is good for (approximately) 6 mph - so 3 extra teeth should give me the 18 mph drop in speed I am looking for.

Car is at the shop for a bit of revision on the final tune and tracking down an oil drip at the dry sump tank, so I asked them to pull the speedo gear when she’s on the rack to see what color / how many teeth I am spinning right now. We’ll get this figured out.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pete Serio rebuilds and restores Speedometers. He would be a good person to ask if there is some difference between the two assemblies that you have. He is a member here.